any chance there's an unofficial boost for being Hmong? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
tyang

New

any chance there's an unofficial boost for being Hmong?

Post by tyang » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:30 pm

the Hmong fought with the US during the Vietnam War, and were resettled here as refugees in the 70's and 80's. i realize they are not on the list so the official answer is probably no...but do you think adcomms will consider it since we have a vastly different experience than traditional Asian-American groups?

i'm thinking that if they do, it's only at those schools located in states with a large Hmong population (CA, MN, WI are the big ones)...i'm not banking on any boost and I am studying for a retake, but i thought i'd ask since i can't find anything yet

Clemenceau

Silver

Re: any chance there's an unofficial boost for being Hmong?

Post by Clemenceau » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:46 pm

Not an expert on URM boosts, but I highly doubt it.

DaysToGo

New

Post by DaysToGo » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:00 pm

tyang wrote:the Hmong fought with the US during the Vietnam War, and were resettled here as refugees in the 70's and 80's. i realize they are not on the list so the official answer is probably no...but do you think adcomms will consider it since we have a vastly different experience than traditional Asian-American groups?

i'm thinking that if they do, it's only at those schools located in states with a large Hmong population (CA, MN, WI are the big ones)...i'm not banking on any boost and I am studying for a retake, but i thought i'd ask since i can't find anything yet
As above poster said, there is very little chance that this is a boost, based on:
1. The application mostly only allows you to select Asian American, as your race, so you'll not be able to differentiate yourself based on that. Even the more specific application only lets you select Southeast Asian, which could really mean a lot of different types of Asian.
2. The application does not have Hmong as a possible language, so you can't differentiate on that.

And because most schools are likely to use these metrics (plus LSAT and GPA) as a threshold question to even review your app, then you're not likely to get a boost.

Personally, I think there might be a slight boost for the University of Minnesota, but a negligible boost at most. It likely won't help you overcome your numbers, but might help with scholarship. This is all speculation though, so take it with a grain of salt. There were three Hmong students at Minnesota last year. I'm not saying they received a boost, just letting you know.

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:10 pm

This would be a good thing to underscore in a diversity statement. But, unfortunately, it's pretty unlikely it will make a difference. I would assume that if you're applying to UMinn or UW (which of course you should not if you don't wish to practice in Minnesota or Wisconsin, respectively), they would be most likely to err on the side of giving you a boost. But, if you're in doubt about your chances at the school you're interested in, then you need to retake and not read tea leaves.

PubliusJ

New

Post by PubliusJ » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:59 pm

I think it is a stretch. Often overlooked is the difference between being a minority and being underrepresented. Women are a political minority in the United States, yet they are not underrepresented in law schools. I'd recommend looking for schools that do in fact underrepresent Asians, and play up your race in a diversity statement.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”