URM, T5 Hopes, Low GPA w/ Traumatic Circumstance During Undergrad. Help? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
nytech90

New

URM, T5 Hopes, Low GPA w/ Traumatic Circumstance During Undergrad. Help?

Post by nytech90 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:52 pm

Hello All,

Hope you're doing well.

After a number of years being told to just get a job, the field is too saturated, law school too expensive, etc. I've finally decided to pursue my dream of going to law school.

After doing a cost/benefit analysis I think the field only makes sense for me if I can get into a T10 (preferably a T6). Harvard has always been my dream school but my GPA is a bit lower than it should be due to some extenuating circumstances incurred during undergrad.

I've included some facts about myself below for easy reference. Appreciate the good counsel in advance.

Thanks!

---

Stats
URM (Mexican American, Born in Mexico)
LSAT 170 (Plan on taking once more)
3.3 (See below)
Graduated in 2012
Have a successful career in tech - have been consistently promoted and have worked with Fortune 500 clients.

Contributing Factors
First generation college student, parents were very hands off during undergrad
Experienced a traumatic experience during my Junior year (Father was killed by a drunk driver, did not take any time off and grades suffered)
Engaged in the prosecution of the driver who hit my father throughout Senior year.
From a low-income earning family
Last edited by nytech90 on Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traynor Brah

Silver

Re: URM, T5 Hopes, Low GPA w/ Traumatic Circumstance During Undergrad. Help?

Post by Traynor Brah » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:03 pm

Good call on doing the retake. But even as things stand you're going to get a good scholarship at a T6 (T5 is not a relevant distinction; NYU is regarded as an immediate peer of Columbia and Chicago). You don't say where you want to be long-term, and depending on the answer to that question, a few other schools in the T14, where you'll be getting full rides from, might be better options than a moderately discounted T6 or an H at sticker. Apply everywhere in the T14 (if you want to be in socal or texas, also apply to UCLA or UT, respectively), try to improve on the retake, then come back and reassess with us. You're in a very, very good spot.

sesto elemento

Gold

Post by sesto elemento » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:40 pm

Apply to NYU and their Anbryce scholarship.

180kickflip

Bronze

Post by 180kickflip » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:50 pm

Traynor Brah wrote:Good call on doing the retake. But even as things stand you're going to get a good scholarship at a T6 (T5 is not a relevant distinction; NYU is regarded as an immediate peer of Columbia and Chicago). You don't say where you want to be long-term, and depending on the answer to that question, a few other schools in the T14, where you'll be getting full rides from, might be better options than a moderately discounted T6 or an H at sticker. Apply everywhere in the T14 (if you want to be in socal or texas, also apply to UCLA or UT, respectively), try to improve on the retake, then come back and reassess with us. You're in a very, very good spot.
I'm all for optimism, but I think this goes a bit far. OP is just as likely to be waitlisted in the t6 as accepted with a scholarship, and I definitely don't think he is likely to get multiple t14 full scholarships. I could see multiple 90-120k offers, but I haven't heard of many URMs with 3.3 GPAs being offered full rides (and those that have are most likely AA).

sesto elemento

Gold

Post by sesto elemento » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:53 pm

180kickflip wrote:
Traynor Brah wrote:Good call on doing the retake. But even as things stand you're going to get a good scholarship at a T6 (T5 is not a relevant distinction; NYU is regarded as an immediate peer of Columbia and Chicago). You don't say where you want to be long-term, and depending on the answer to that question, a few other schools in the T14, where you'll be getting full rides from, might be better options than a moderately discounted T6 or an H at sticker. Apply everywhere in the T14 (if you want to be in socal or texas, also apply to UCLA or UT, respectively), try to improve on the retake, then come back and reassess with us. You're in a very, very good spot.
I'm all for optimism, but I think this goes a bit far. OP is just as likely to be waitlisted in the t6 as accepted with a scholarship, and I definitely don't think he is likely to get multiple t14 full scholarships. I could see multiple 90-120k offers, but I haven't heard of many URMs with 3.3 GPAs being offered full rides (and those that have are most likely AA).
OPs best chance of getting a full ride is to
sesto elemento wrote:Apply to NYU and their Anbryce scholarship.
Outside of that, OP won't get into HYSB because of his GPA and shouldn't apply to those schools unless he gets a fee waiver.

scone

Bronze

Post by scone » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:04 pm

sesto elemento wrote:OP won't get into HYSB because of his GPA and shouldn't apply to those schools unless he gets a fee waiver.
Rubbish. MyLSN puts OP at ~20-30% for HYSB, ~50% for rest of T6. Definitely should apply, especially given OP's decent softs and extenuating circumstances.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:14 pm

I'dtake 5 to 1 odds on this guy getting into Yale and 2 to 1 on Harvard.

dreamerchic19

Bronze

Post by dreamerchic19 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:12 am

great LSAT score, just make a good personal statement/successful application and you should be fine

ND2018

New

Post by ND2018 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:36 am

JohannDeMann wrote:I'dtake 5 to 1 odds on this guy getting into Yale and 2 to 1 on Harvard.
this

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”