Should I quit my job? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
AnonymousApplicant

New

Should I quit my job?

Post by AnonymousApplicant » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:16 pm

ale.
Last edited by AnonymousApplicant on Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KMart

Gold

Re: Should I quit my job?

Post by KMart » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:21 pm

Have you told them you're taking the LSAT and need time off? I know every job is different but I got my hours massively reduced when I studied for the LSAT.

AnonymousApplicant

New

Post by AnonymousApplicant » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:26 pm

KMart wrote:Have you told them you're taking the LSAT and need time off? I know every job is different but I got my hours massively reduced when I studied for the LSAT.
I haven't but I intend to. The only thing is that because of the nature of the work, I'm pretty sure that they won't be able to reduce my hours enough to make a difference.

chueca910

New

Post by chueca910 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:54 pm

I personally wouldn't recommend it but if you are financially stable enough to do it and honestly feel that's the way to go then it's up to you. I know someone who did it to study for the LSAT but that person ended up applying late anyway so they're reapplying this cycle.

How many hours do you work a week? I also work full time and its definitely doable, if you stick to a strict schedule and use your time wisely.

AnonymousApplicant

New

Post by AnonymousApplicant » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:21 pm

chueca910 wrote:I personally wouldn't recommend it but if you are financially stable enough to do it and honestly feel that's the way to go then it's up to you. I know someone who did it to study for the LSAT but that person ended up applying late anyway so they're reapplying this cycle.

How many hours do you work a week? I also work full time and its definitely doable, if you stick to a strict schedule and use your time wisely.
My workday is from 7:30 to 4 each day and may get longer, if only by a half hour or so, in a week or so. I'm not so financially stable that I can quit my job and live comfortably, but I do have some cash put away and my plan would be to live with my parents while I am studying.

Hornet2011

Bronze

Post by Hornet2011 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:44 pm

I think there are a couple of questions to ask yourself: (1) is this job or a similar job readily available after you take the lsat? I mean if your working construction and there are always more construction jobs in your area I think that gives you some security. This leads me to question (2) is this a more "career level" job or just a job. If it is a career level job I would strongly consider continuing to work as you might get stressed out about the money (especially if you decide to retake), or that you gave up a career to fully go into the lsat, or that in the event you decide not to go to law school in the end that you are still working towards a more lucrative career.

One final point, burnout is real. I was glad at times to have a real job to do other than just study.

AnonymousApplicant

New

Post by AnonymousApplicant » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:06 pm

Hornet2011 wrote:I think there are a couple of questions to ask yourself: (1) is this job or a similar job readily available after you take the lsat? I mean if your working construction and there are always more construction jobs in your area I think that gives you some security. This leads me to question (2) is this a more "career level" job or just a job. If it is a career level job I would strongly consider continuing to work as you might get stressed out about the money (especially if you decide to retake), or that you gave up a career to fully go into the lsat, or that in the event you decide not to go to law school in the end that you are still working towards a more lucrative career.

One final point, burnout is real. I was glad at times to have a real job to do other than just study.
It really isn't a bad job at all, but it isn't "career level" either. At any rate, I'm definitely applying this cycle no matter what and, if I get into the schools that I think that I have the potential to get into, I really won't regret giving this one up to dedicate more of my time to LSAT prep. My main concern is in fact the gap that will appear on my resume when I apply to schools. That's kind of the only thing holding me back from quitting. What I was planning to do, though, was to just volunteer or to even take any random part time job while I'm studying, and then to work full time again when my applications are submitted, which I anticipate will be around late Oct or early Nov (assuming that I won't need to retake).

chueca910

New

Post by chueca910 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:04 am

And assuming that you'll get a job right away that fits your needs (financially and mentally). Honestly you get out early enough that even if it takes you an hour to get home from your job, you can still take an hour nap and start studying at 6/7 for 3 hours or more.

cheesy145

New

Post by cheesy145 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:27 am

I work similar hours as you and would say that working full time and studying is hard but doable. Iusually go home and drink coffee at 5 and study for a few hours as well as study on my lunch break and read science daily articles when.its slow at work. I would try something like that before you decide to quit to see if it can work for you just cause its so important to save up money before law school.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:21 pm

Yes, I know a young woman who quit her job. She had taken the test twice before and this was her third time. She had scored high on practice tests 175+, however, she claimed her actual scores were lackluster. I doubt that. I know she was aiming for a 180 and kept studying to achieve this goal. She quit her job to devote all of her time to studying. She took the test a final time, cried about her score, but was accepted to Harvard. I think that she is full of it. She probably scored a 171, but since it wasn't a 180 she had a mild breakdown.

Straight to the point is she quit her job to excel at the LSAT. She however had parents in a foreign country who supported her lifestyle so she could quit her job.

AnonymousApplicant

New

Post by AnonymousApplicant » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:38 pm

Thanks to all those who responded for your help.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”