URM 2015-2016 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

You would turn down YSH for...(choose up to 4)

Hamilton @ CLS
21%
Ruby @ Chicago
15%
AnBryce/RTK @ NYU
13%
Levy @ Penn (LOL, no URM in history has ever gotten one)
6%
Dillard/Darrow/Full Scholarship @ UVA/Mich/Berk
12%
Mordecai/Full Scholly/Hughes/Full Scholly @ Duke/NW/Cornell/GULC
11%
Full @ Texas/UCLA/Vandy
5%
F* that dude...literally nothing could keep me from YSH. Debt be damned!
17%

Total votes: 219

Vandy2bforrealz

New

Re: URM 2015-2016 Cycle Thread

Post by Vandy2bforrealz » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:01 pm

We should start a urm results thread posting individual cycles like it has been done for the last 6 years.

Format

URM:
GPA:
LSAT:

IN:
Waitlist:
OUT:

Attending:

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:03 pm

^^^ You're probably right because the chances of our spreadsheet surviving much longer are really, really low.

AfrocentricAsian

Bronze

Post by AfrocentricAsian » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:09 pm

cdotson2 wrote:
fliptrip wrote:^^ Congrats on Harvard and I would expect you to get Stanford too.
Chicago is surprising for sure. Did you interview?
I think that law schools look at apps in a far more complete sense and with the mindset of who they have already accepted than the common all that matters is the numbers mindset on tls.
I think that is pretty clear when you look at the Harvard applicants page; for the last few days there are numerous people above both or one of the 75ths getting waitlisted. And someone in the Chicago applicant thread had a 4.0/180 and didn't get a ruby.
Yeah. Way more so if you are urm. Doesn't really matter how many people in w/e cycles you've seen get admitted with your numbers. Each cycle is new and you may not make the cut

jnwa

Silver

Post by jnwa » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:34 pm

cdotson2 wrote:
fliptrip wrote:^^ Congrats on Harvard and I would expect you to get Stanford too.
Thanks to both of you!
And yes I did interview at Chicago, I think the reason I wasn't admitted was probably in part due to applying in January.
And I wouldn't really say I was surprised, except for Michigan that is, it's just interesting that it played out a lot more like my school advisor said then what some posters on tls would have you believe.

My approach was, I will hope to get in were my numbers actually deserve, and if I get any boost than that is extra on the top. So I'm real happy with H. I also have a somewhat unique app even without urm.

I think that law schools look at apps in a far more complete sense and with the mindset of who they have already accepted than the common all that matters is the numbers mindset on tls.
I think that is pretty clear when you look at the Harvard applicants page; for the last few days there are numerous people above both or one of the 75ths getting waitlisted. And someone in the Chicago applicant thread had a 4.0/180 and didn't get a ruby.
I would echo this. YP probably happens to an extent but I do think admissions people make some decisions based on fit and other subjective factors. Among the 3 schools ranked 8th I got an acceptance with a full ride from Mich a waitlist from UVA and a rejection from Berkeley. I wrote why x's for all of them. Its a numbers game to a large extent but too many people get into schools that they are with numbers wayy above their medians to act like these schools are habitually yield protecting. For whatever reason UVA sees a 3.8 170 that they want to give a Dillard and another that they want to waitlist.

I also think applying early (pre-december) is pretty helpful.

holaadios

New

Post by holaadios » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:44 pm

cdotson2 wrote:
Thanks to both of you!
And yes I did interview at Chicago, I think the reason I wasn't admitted was probably in part due to applying in January.
And I wouldn't really say I was surprised, except for Michigan that is, it's just interesting that it played out a lot more like my school advisor said then what some posters on tls would have you believe.

My approach was, I will hope to get in were my numbers actually deserve, and if I get any boost than that is extra on the top. So I'm real happy with H. I also have a somewhat unique app even without urm.

Weird! You and I had virtually identical stats (3.75/171) and applied in January. I didn't write any extra essays beyond my DS, so not sure why I was not YP-ed. These things make no sense sometimes.

MixtapeFellThrough

New

Post by MixtapeFellThrough » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:23 pm

fliptrip wrote:^^^ You're probably right because the chances of our spreadsheet surviving much longer are really, really low.
At this point I think someone's intentionally messing with it just to screw with us.

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:26 pm

fliptrip wrote:^^^ You're probably right because the chances of our spreadsheet surviving much longer are really, really low.
ours is still in relatively good shape from last cycle..i wonder if there's some value in aggregating them together as read-only docs when the 15-16 cycle is done for future generations of TLS URMs. way more info here than on LSN and we need all the data we can get. the results threads are valuable too but i think the spreadsheets are better for at a glance type chances.

Navrim

New

Post by Navrim » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:55 pm

Last edited by Navrim on Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vandy2bforrealz

New

Post by Vandy2bforrealz » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:40 pm

Last edited by Vandy2bforrealz on Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ih8makingscreennames

Bronze

Post by ih8makingscreennames » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:22 pm

Vandy2bforrealz wrote:Hey guys I have read through some posts and see a lot of people with good results. I am interested in finding out what kind of lsat retake is needed by an AA Male with a roughly 3.4gpa and 160-162 LSAT to get a 100k scholarship to Michigan, Duke, or Northwestern off a June retake. If your gpa is in the ballpark and you got a scholarship with a higher LSAT please pm me. Ive been PTing in the 164-168 range for a while and usually get near perfect (-1 or -2) logic games. Hasn't really translated to game day but I already have tremendous options if I don't kill the June retake. I'm willing to reapply if I kill the June LSAT and receive lowball offers.
Are you K-JD or do you have some work experience?

Vandy2bforrealz

New

Post by Vandy2bforrealz » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:19 am

Last edited by Vandy2bforrealz on Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigTex

Bronze

Post by BigTex » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:28 pm

Last edited by BigTex on Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeanStrangJr

New

Post by DeanStrangJr » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:22 pm

Anyone in here still waiting on NYU or UCLA?

I submitted in Early Jan. I get the feeling that they may be waiting for a few people to withdraw so they could accept me without waitlisting me? Perhaps I'm being overconfident/optimistic. :lol:

texcellence

Bronze

Post by texcellence » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:23 pm

DeanStrangJr wrote:Anyone in here still waiting on NYU or UCLA?

I submitted in Early Jan. I get the feeling that they may be waiting for a few people to withdraw so they could accept me without waitlisting me? Perhaps I'm being overconfident/optimistic. :lol:
I'm still waiting on both, too.

DeanStrangJr

New

Post by DeanStrangJr » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:27 pm

texcellence wrote:

Same timeline or did you send in the apps earlier?

Good to know I'm not alone - trying to evaluate/negotiate with my current options for the time being, but I'm starting to get anxious about those two apps.

texcellence

Bronze

Post by texcellence » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:36 pm

DeanStrangJr wrote:
texcellence wrote:

Same timeline or did you send in the apps earlier?

Good to know I'm not alone - trying to evaluate/negotiate with my current options for the time being, but I'm starting to get anxious about those two apps.
a little later, actually, but based on the timing of NYU admits last year, there should be more going out this week and possibly next week before the rejection/WL bloodbath begins mid-April. no clue about UCLA though. I think Spivey said something about the uptick in higher LSATs/desire to grow class sizes a little is slowing down adcomms at top schools this cycle. good luck to us both!

bellanoche2019

New

Post by bellanoche2019 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:29 pm

fliptrip wrote:^^ Congrats on Harvard and I would expect you to get Stanford too. On it's face I can see why you'd be surprised by your results, but here's how I look at it.

I think Columbia is getting more into the YP game than ever before. I think they couldn't give you a Hamilton so they WL'd you. If you made any fuss, I'm sure you'd get in.

If NYU doesn't come through something's up.

UVA and Michigan are serial Yield Protectors. They shouldn't get a second thought.

A little surprised about Georgetown not giving you money, but who really knows what those folks are thinking.
NYU has had a weird cycle this year. I don't know hardly anyone who has heard from them this year regarding a decision. They have been extremely slow.

legallybrown312

New

Post by legallybrown312 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:36 pm

texcellence wrote:

Also waiting on both. My last 2.

Nlawsing

Bronze

Post by Nlawsing » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:47 am

legallybrown312 wrote:
texcellence wrote:

Also waiting on both. My last 2.
Same here Waiting on NYU and Columbia. Echoing the previous poster, NYU seems to be abysmally slow this cycle. Quite annoying.

beckett

New

Post by beckett » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:49 am

Waiting on UCLA and Vanderbilt. I'm thinking about just withdrawing since I wouldn't attend either school right now. But I want to know, you know???

Harvette

Bronze

Post by Harvette » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:11 pm

How many hls waitlists here? Looks like the list is bigger than ever this cycle?

greatspirit

Bronze

Post by greatspirit » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:54 pm

Great results for a lot of people, good job everyone! It'd be great to hear some commentary from some sub 3.0 applicants.

ih8makingscreennames

Bronze

Post by ih8makingscreennames » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:07 am

Harvette wrote:How many hls waitlists here? Looks like the list is bigger than ever this cycle?
Waitlisted without a JS1, but unbothered. I don't think I wrote in here that I got the call from Texas 2 days ago. I thought it would be inappropriate to withdraw over the phone, but I wasn't going to withdraw early bc I was going to make them answer me.

Now Northwestern is the only school I have left.

ert2sk

New

Post by ert2sk » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:10 am

Hey guys! I posted this in the UVA Law Class of 2019 thread, but I wanted to see if any of you had advice for me as well.... Please see below!!

HELP! After the open house, I was pretty much set on UVA Law. My choice was between UVA & Michigan, both at sticker.

Then, I received a need-based scholarship from Michigan for 60k+ (total for all three years). UVA has made it clear they are not negotiating with me which I thought was ok since both Michigan and UVA are ranked #8. I visited Ann Arbor last week, and absolutely loved it and I'm 90% sure I'll attend. However, I'm having second thoughts about not attending UVA. I'm from Virginia (and actually went to UVA for undergrad) so I'm a little nervous about leaving this area to go freeze to death in Ann Arbor. Plus, I feel like UVA's employment stats are slightly better than Michigan's. But what do you guys think, am I making the right decision by taking the money and running?

Also, I don't really have a strong preference for which market I'd like to work in post graduation. I just want a (biglaw) job.

PLEASE HELP. Any advice/tips anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by ert2sk on Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

ih8makingscreennames

Bronze

Post by ih8makingscreennames » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:13 am

ert2sk wrote:Hey guys! I posted this in the UVA Law Class of 2019 thread, but I wanted to see if any of you had advice for me as well.... Please see below!!

HELP! After the open house, I was pretty much set on UVA Law. My choice was between UVA & Michigan, both at at sticker.

Then, I received a need-based scholarship from Michigan for 60k+ (total for all three years). UVA has made it clear they are not negotiating with me which I thought was ok since both Michigan and UVA are ranked #8. I visited Ann Arbor last week, and absolutely loved it and I'm 90% sure I'll attend. However, I'm having second thoughts about not attending UVA. I'm from Virginia (and actually went to UVA for undergrad) so I'm a little nervous about leaving this area to go freeze to death in Ann Arbor. Plus, I feel like UVA's employment stats are slightly better than Michigan's. But what do you guys think, am I making the right decision by taking the money and running?

Also, I don't really have a strong preference for which market I'd like to work in post graduation. I just want a (biglaw) job.

PLEASE HELP. Any advice/tips anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated!
Pming you shortly

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”