help a newbie

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Olise
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:52 am

help a newbie

Postby Olise » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:59 pm

Hello I am new to tls and my college does not have enough support for those interested in law school, particularly for African American males. I have a 3.0 and I am a rising junior, Ive also been study for the lsat in December, what type of scores should I achieve to get accepted into wake, UNC, or duke law. I am from North Carolina and I am just looking for any advice for getting into North Carolina big law .

I kind of just wanted to introduce myself as well.

Nice to meet you guys! 8)

PoopNpants
Posts: 856
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:40 pm

Re: help a newbie

Postby PoopNpants » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:36 pm

Why don't you aim higher? With the right LSAT you could have some good options. What are your goals? If you got two more years of school, I'd just focus on getting the best GPA possible over the next two years, don't worry about the LSAT now

Olise
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:52 am

Re: help a newbie

Postby Olise » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:20 pm

Thanks a lot man, where I am from these are really good schools I have not even thought about any where else. What are some suggestions, that are affordable. Also I figured I could study during the summer hard and review and take practice test during the school year, and if need be I can re-test. Also I want to apply as early as possible so I can get scholarships while they are available . And my goals are big law or a clerkship.

Again thanks for the response!

User avatar
The Mixed Tape
stop stop this is my favorite dryfit polo
Posts: 5737
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:14 pm

Re: help a newbie

Postby The Mixed Tape » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:24 pm

Generally, hitting the schools median will net you a nice scholly

Olise
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:52 am

Re: help a newbie

Postby Olise » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:27 pm

Staying out of debt is always good!

PoopNpants
Posts: 856
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:40 pm

Re: help a newbie

Postby PoopNpants » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:35 pm

My b, i didn't see Duke in your initial listing LOL that's a great school, but you should be aiming at T14s if you want big-law, or schools right out of it. Hitting LSAT medians will give you a chance, but seriously try to do as well on the LSAT as possible when you do take it. Also consider taking time between undergrad and law, maybe work for a year or two get some experience, focus on the LSAT, be prepared to devote months towards getting ready to do it. AA males typically do poorly on the LSAT so you could really make yourself an attractive candidate with a high LSAT even if your GPA is around the 3.0 range

Olise
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:52 am

Re: help a newbie

Postby Olise » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:11 pm

Thanks a lot man I am going to do my best in school and on the LSAT, so I can get into big law. I have had a job throughout my time in college. I want too start early and be prepared so I can keep going to school, so I can graduate and help my family live a better life.

User avatar
WeeBey
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:23 pm

Re: help a newbie

Postby WeeBey » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:33 pm

Get that GPA up! You have 2 yrs left. From what I've seen, once you get over 3.3 all the T14s sans HYS are in play. I went from 3.1 to a 3.4 in my last 2 years.

Oh, and dont aim for anything less than a 170.

User avatar
OhBoyOhBortles
Posts: 2254
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:01 am

Re: help a newbie

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:35 pm

WeeBey wrote:Get that GPA up! You have 2 yrs left. From what I've seen, once you get over 3.3 all the T14s sans HYS are in play. I went from 3.1 to a 3.4 in my last 2 years.

Oh, and dont aim for anything less than a 170.


+1

Olise
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:52 am

Re: help a newbie

Postby Olise » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:40 pm

Thanks allot for all of the responses I will definitely do all I can do to bring my GPA up, I want to put myself in the best possible position

PoopNpants
Posts: 856
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:40 pm

Re: help a newbie

Postby PoopNpants » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:12 pm

WeeBey wrote:Get that GPA up! You have 2 yrs left. From what I've seen, once you get over 3.3 all the T14s sans HYS are in play. I went from 3.1 to a 3.4 in my last 2 years.

Oh, and dont aim for anything less than a 170.


Yeah plus it's good to have an upward trend and finish strong junior-senior year. Seriously try your best to get a 4.0. You can take the LSAT many times whenever you want but there's only one time you can do undergrad and your GPA is set in stone. If I were I wouldn't even think about the LSAT until after graduation

Olise
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:52 am

Re: help a newbie

Postby Olise » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:17 pm

Do summer classes I take before I graduate count towards my GPA calculated by law schools?

PoopNpants
Posts: 856
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:40 pm

Re: help a newbie

Postby PoopNpants » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:26 pm

Olise wrote:Do summer classes I take before I graduate count towards my GPA calculated by law schools?


Literally just about any class taking for credit during your college career will count towards your LSAC GPA.

User avatar
Fiero85
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:38 am

Re: help a newbie

Postby Fiero85 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:59 pm

Welcome!

"Get your GPA up!" is right. That's priority #1 for now. Take extra classes at your U or local CC and raise it up. You could probably break 3.5 with adequate strategy and effort. Check if any local CCs offer A+ or over 4.0 grades, which would be sweet for your situation.

For the LSAT, browse this site for guides and success stories. Study, study, study. It is a learnable test.

If you are successful in getting a 3.5 LSAC GPA like you should, and work really hard on the LSAT, Duke for free or at deep discount is possible. At first glance that seems like your best goal to shoot for, but work hard and apply broadly when the time comes (AA/URM application cycles are generally less predictable than the cycles of non-URM applicants, so blanket apply to a bunch of schools).

Good luck!

Olise
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:52 am

Re: help a newbie

Postby Olise » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:53 pm

Thanks a lot I'll look around and just keep working hard on this lsat and gpa. I definitely want to just go to duke so I can live from home and save money that way but I will apply broadly once I get this GPA up.

Olise
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:52 am

Re: help a newbie

Postby Olise » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:55 pm

I almost feel like since I want to do NC big law I can go to Unc, duke, or wake forest and do well and still have a chance at big law. But I may be willing to venture to other places if it's the right opportunity.

User avatar
Fiero85
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:38 am

Re: help a newbie

Postby Fiero85 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:05 pm

A lot of the "apply broadly" advice is not just to get better offers that lead to matriculation, but also to get offers that would be appropriate to use for negotiation with your "better fit" school (Duke). apply broadly so that you have the chance to show Duke peer offers. Like, "I really want to go to Duke but Vandy offered me a full ride, so...". Might get you more $ at Duke.

Don't go to the other NC schools unless you get a full ride. Your goal should be Duke or higher if your end game is big firm work in NC. The others just are too risky, and if you put the work in on your stats, AA/URM consideration can make a big difference at the top schools that actually provide you a good shot at your goal.

Olise
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:52 am

Re: help a newbie

Postby Olise » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:05 pm

If I left nc and still had ties to the state would I have the same opportunities for big law even though I didn't go to law school in NC?

PoopNpants
Posts: 856
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:40 pm

Re: help a newbie

Postby PoopNpants » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:10 pm

Olise wrote:If I left nc and still had ties to the state would I have the same opportunities for big law even though I didn't go to law school in NC?


Look at LST reports and check the schools large firm score. Going to duke would be a good option for biglaw. Is there any particular region you want to work in? I'm assuming you want to work in NC right? I don't know much about that market honestly.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/compare/duke/unc/wake/

As you can see here, only Duke would probably be a good idea considering your goals

Olise
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:52 am

Re: help a newbie

Postby Olise » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:10 pm

Thanks I'm really considering all options and markets but right now NC is where all my family is.

PoopNpants
Posts: 856
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:40 pm

Re: help a newbie

Postby PoopNpants » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:39 pm

Olise wrote:Thanks I'm really considering all options and markets but right now NC is where all my family is.


Word, you should be fine going to duke I think for NC. I'd say target that school if you really want to work in NC, family ties are good. Like previous posters said, get your gpa as high as possible, do as well on the LSAT as you can, and then apply broadly, cuz your going to want to get scholarship offers from peer schools so you can negotiate amongst them.

User avatar
ltowns1
Posts: 693
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 1:13 am

Re: help a newbie

Postby ltowns1 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:51 am

Olise wrote:Hello I am new to tls and my college does not have enough support for those interested in law school, particularly for African American males. I have a 3.0 and I am a rising junior, Ive also been study for the lsat in December, what type of scores should I achieve to get accepted into wake, UNC, or duke law. I am from North Carolina and I am just looking for any advice for getting into North Carolina big law .

I kind of just wanted to introduce myself as well.

Nice to meet you guys! 8)


Yeah man, listen to everybody up here! From a demo perpetive, I'm your exact mirror lol. From North North Carolina, AA male, 3.8 GPA! Studying for the LSAT! Graduated from NCCU! Only difference is I'm prob. older. Duke is really my second choice...NEXT TO HARVARD LOL. Point is, study hard and there is no limit to where you can/should go!

User avatar
ltowns1
Posts: 693
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 1:13 am

Re: help a newbie

Postby ltowns1 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:54 am

ltowns1 wrote:
Olise wrote:Hello I am new to tls and my college does not have enough support for those interested in law school, particularly for African American males. I have a 3.0 and I am a rising junior, Ive also been study for the lsat in December, what type of scores should I achieve to get accepted into wake, UNC, or duke law. I am from North Carolina and I am just looking for any advice for getting into North Carolina big law .

I kind of just wanted to introduce myself as well.

Nice to meet you guys! 8)


Yeah man, listen to everybody up here! From a demo perpetive, I'm your exact mirror lol. From North North Carolina, AA male, 3.8 GPA! Studying for the LSAT! Graduated from NCCU! Only difference is I'm prob. older. Duke is really my second choice...NEXT TO HARVARD LOL. Point is, study hard and there is no limit to where you can/should go!

Olise
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:52 am

Re: help a newbie

Postby Olise » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:17 pm

Man I wish I had a 3.8. Are you a rising junior as well? I actually go to school 40 minutes down the road at Elon university.

User avatar
ltowns1
Posts: 693
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 1:13 am

Re: help a newbie

Postby ltowns1 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:50 pm

Olise wrote:Man I wish I had a 3.8. Are you a rising junior as well? I actually go to school 40 minutes down the road at Elon university.

Na I graduated last year, Poli sci and history major.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests