25th percentile LSAT = guaranteed acceptance?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
robertrulez

25th percentile LSAT = guaranteed acceptance?

Postby robertrulez » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:17 pm

Just curious, as an URM do we have a shot at our goal school if we score at their 25th percentile?

TheodoreKGB

Re: 25th percentile LSAT = guaranteed acceptance?

Postby TheodoreKGB » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:28 pm

Last edited by TheodoreKGB on Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PoopNpants

Postby PoopNpants » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:41 pm

I think you need to factor in GPA too. From what I've read it seems as though URMs get more a pass on the LSAT than they do on GPA, so you'd want to have a GPA around median or above that. And also what kind've URM is important also, since NAs and AAs get more of a boost than PRs, and PRs get more of a boost than Mexicans.

FirmBiz

Postby FirmBiz » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:34 pm

Not guaranteed, but you at minimum will get a shot at the waiting list

silenttimer

Postby silenttimer » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:40 pm

Speaking honestly -- I find threads like these cringe worthy. :oops: Basically, you're admitting that, rightly or wrongly, you're not as qualified as the other applicants based on the numbers. You should focus on doing the best you can on the LSAT and aim to be at the 75 percentile of your target school, so no one can ever say to you that you were less than qualified to get into your target school.

Just my two cents.

FirmBiz

Postby FirmBiz » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:13 pm

silenttimer wrote:Speaking honestly -- I find threads like these cringe worthy. :oops: Basically, you're admitting that, rightly or wrongly, you're not as qualified as the other applicants based on the numbers. You should focus on doing the best you can on the LSAT and aim to be at the 75 percentile of your target school, so no one can ever say to you that you were less than qualified to get into your target school.

Just my two cents.

What if he's been doing practice tests and only meeting the 25th?

What he's asking is a valid question IMO.

ballcaps

Postby ballcaps » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:24 pm

silenttimer wrote:Speaking honestly -- I find threads like these this cringe-worthy. :oops: Basically, you're admitting that, rightly or wrongly, you're not as qualified as the other applicants based on the numbers. Why should this offend you? You should focus on doing the best you can on the LSAT and aim to be at the 75 percentile of your target school, so no one can ever say to you that you were less than qualified to get into your target school. So what if they did?

Just my two cents. Thanks

JonTheMandamus

Postby JonTheMandamus » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:26 pm

No to title.
Yes to your statement.

PoopNpants

Postby PoopNpants » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:29 pm

Yeah what if OP is talking about a school like Harvard, which has a 25th LSAT of 170? Or some other T14 that has an LSAT around 166?

kevgogators

Postby kevgogators » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:32 pm

PoopNpants wrote:I think you need to factor in GPA too. From what I've read it seems as though URMs get more a pass on the LSAT than they do on GPA, so you'd want to have a GPA around median or above that. And also what kind've URM is important also, since NAs and AAs get more of a boost than PRs, and PRs get more of a boost than Mexicans.

Is that accurate? I know there is a whole lotta ambiguity with URM boosts but I've always heard AA>MA/PR>NA

PoopNpants

Postby PoopNpants » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:43 pm

kevgogators wrote:
PoopNpants wrote:I think you need to factor in GPA too. From what I've read it seems as though URMs get more a pass on the LSAT than they do on GPA, so you'd want to have a GPA around median or above that. And also what kind've URM is important also, since NAs and AAs get more of a boost than PRs, and PRs get more of a boost than Mexicans.

Is that accurate? I know there is a whole lotta ambiguity with URM boosts but I've always heard AA>MA/PR>NA

I'm just basing this off shit I read on TLS and elsewhere online. NAs and AAs both get sizable bumps, more so than mexicans. Not sure about puerto ricans but I'm assuming somewhere in between TBH

robertrulez

Postby robertrulez » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:03 pm

silenttimer wrote:Speaking honestly -- I find threads like these cringe worthy. :oops: Basically, you're admitting that, rightly or wrongly, you're not as qualified as the other applicants based on the numbers. You should focus on doing the best you can on the LSAT and aim to be at the 75 percentile of your target school, so no one can ever say to you that you were less than qualified to get into your target school.

Just my two cents.

Most people who are striving to get into a good school are doing their absolute best and aiming for the highest score possible. However some of us don't have the resources that other people do in getting those high lsats and some of us come from really disadvantaged backgrounds meaning we don't have a lot of experience with test prepping. I won't accept however that I'm not qualified because I am. The LSAT is full of shit and the people who score at school's median are only getting maybe 5 more questions right than someone who scores at 25th. I really have a hard time comprehending how someone could be smarter than another person just for getting a few more questions correct.

As far as being a minority in law school that practices AA, there will always be students who believe that you made it there solely because of AA regardless if you scored in the 75th or below the 25th, it doesn't matter. No one has their LSAT score printed on their forehead so the best that an URM can do is ignore those bigots.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:36 pm

robertrulez wrote:

Just my two cents.

Most people who are striving to get into a good school are doing their absolute best and aiming for the highest score possible. However some of us don't have the resources that other people do in getting those high lsats and some of us come from really disadvantaged backgrounds meaning we don't have a lot of experience with test prepping. I won't accept however that I'm not qualified because I am. The LSAT is full of shit and the people who score at school's median are only getting maybe 5 more questions right than someone who scores at 25th. I really have a hard time comprehending how someone could be smarter than another person just for getting a few more questions correct.

As far as being a minority in law school that practices AA, there will always be students who believe that you made it there solely because of AA regardless if you scored in the 75th or below the 25th, it doesn't matter. No one has their LSAT score printed on their forehead so the best that an URM can do is ignore those bigots.

resources to study? you only need $250 tops to study for the lsat; don't be hyperbolic. appreciate that you get a bump.

ltowns1

Postby ltowns1 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:13 am

robertrulez wrote:Just curious, as an URM do we have a shot at our goal school if we score at their 25th percentile?

Don't know if you're new to TLS, but you'll find that some people use this forum as a way to air their complaints, making false inferences from statements. Ignore them, in terms of your question it's really not that simple in my opinion. Yes, reaching the 25th percentile probably gives you a really good chance, but you can't depend on that. Other factors like GPA, SOFTS, personal statements etc. makes a difference as well.

JazzyMac

Postby JazzyMac » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:46 pm

starry eyed wrote:
robertrulez wrote:

Just my two cents.

resources to study? you only need $250 tops to study for the lsat; don't be hyperbolic. appreciate that you get a bump.

Keep in mind that $250 is sometimes half a month's rent depending on where or what your situation. I only consider myself highly blessed to be able to afford things when some disadvantaged cannot even pay normal utilities. Hyperbolic? The very definition of TLS...where a sub-170 labels you a failure. #No

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”