Where should i apply?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Broncos15

Where should i apply?

Postby Broncos15 » Wed May 13, 2015 2:40 pm

Hi,

Should I apply broadly as possible for Fall '16 Admissions....even to schools with GPA floors that may be outs/or rejects if I wasn't URM or any type of diversity factor?

Hispanic here ( but Non-Mexican and non PR)...with a 3.6 GPA

I am prepping for the LSAT as if there will be no boost and I do not expect to out perform my numbers ...but as far as applications go I wonder if I would be asking myself "what if" by not applying to certain schools ( App fees would not be enough to stop me from applying)

Opinions on if applying to entire T14 from H down is a legitimate strategy... since it will ultimately be in the hands of Adcomms as to wether or not I will get any diversity boost on my app ( I say diversity factors since it is a broader term than URM,)

KMart

Re: Where should i apply?

Postby KMart » Wed May 13, 2015 2:49 pm

Broncos15 wrote:Opinions on if applying to entire T14 from H down is a legitimate strategy

Most people who do this aren't even URM. I would if I were you. Although the question is contingent on where you'd like to work. If you want to work in Maine, you should look into somewhere regional there. Generally, if you do well enough on the LSAT, people blanket the t14. Best of luck. A lot of schools will give you fee waivers to apply and it really can add up. Although those $28/application fee or whatever it is to the LSAC sucks, at least you can avoid the school's fee often.

TasmanianToucan

Postby TasmanianToucan » Wed May 13, 2015 2:52 pm

If you get a good enough LSAT that GPA won't keep you out of the T14, with or without URM status.

Source: It didn't for me, and mine is worse than yours. And I'm so white I sunburn at night.

KMart

Postby KMart » Wed May 13, 2015 2:53 pm

TasmanianToucan wrote:If you get a good enough LSAT that GPA won't keep you out of the T14, with or without URM status.

+1 - I forgot to add this in my response, OP.

hearsay77

Postby hearsay77 » Wed May 13, 2015 3:09 pm

TasmanianToucan wrote:If you get a good enough LSAT that GPA won't keep you out of the T14, with or without URM status.

Source: It didn't for me, and mine is worse than yours. And I'm so white I sunburn at night.

+1

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed May 13, 2015 3:25 pm

I agree that it really depends upon how well you do on the LSAT.

Broncos15

Postby Broncos15 » Wed May 13, 2015 4:50 pm

I should have prefaced this by mentioning ..

Should I apply to schools that i normally would for sure be out at ( Yale, Stanford, Harvard, Chicago, UC Berkeley). if I did not have diversity factors......ie 3.6 non URM=Out at these schools even w/ great LSAT 3.6 URM= solid chances with great LSAT

If I am not concerned about fee waivers...i say why not because you don't want to second guess yourself.

Basic question is if I have enough grounds to even apply to these schools.... ..If I were non URM I would save my money on Y and S for sure but may give it a go ( as i have heard anecdotally some schools will favor Hispanic apps- not as much as URM- but still an increase nonetheless)

BasilHallward

Postby BasilHallward » Wed May 13, 2015 5:08 pm

Having enough grounds to apply anywhere (including Harvard and Yale) is only dependent on your willingness to pay for and submit an application. Focus on the LSAT and kill it.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Wed May 13, 2015 5:40 pm

BasilHallward wrote:Having enough grounds to apply anywhere (including Harvard and Yale) is only dependent on your willingness to pay for and submit an application. Focus on the LSAT and kill it.

+1.

WeeBey

Postby WeeBey » Mon May 18, 2015 2:43 pm

Blanket the entire T14. Aside from HYSB, you'll likely get fee waivers to all of them.

The $30 is worth the potential of using that school's offer to negotiate a scholarship.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”