179/2.5 Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
PoopNpants

Silver

Re: 179/2.5

Post by PoopNpants » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:29 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
PoopNpants wrote:
Budfox55 wrote:Is there any strong reason why you HAVE to apply this cycle? If not, why not just take classes next year and in the summer to boost your GPA up and apply during the 2016 fall cycle? That way your GPA will be higher and you wouldn't have to pack all of your classes into a short time, thus decreasing the probability that you'll get as high of a grade. If you just wait a year and get that GPA up, you'll greatly increase your shot at T7 schools and $$.
Does it really matter, OP has prolly the highest AA lsat in the country (maybe ever?)
2.5 and a 2.8/2.9 is still going to be under whatever 25th percentile for whatever school anyways

So no black person has ever scored a 180 on the LSAT? I find that a little hard to believe.

Considering the mean AA score is around a 140/141ish, I don't think my approximation is too outlandish due to the number of AAs who take the LSAT compared to the overall pool of LSAT takers. Of course I can't definitively say so (Until I get that 180 in June lol)

izha

New

Post by izha » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:51 pm

swampman wrote:
izha wrote:Your LSAT score is absolutely unique.
I think Harvard might take you. I think Yale will take you.
No. Harvard and Yale do not accept sub-3.0s. Period.

I'm sure OP will have a few acceptances in the t14, but HYS is not happening.
Did they tell it to you? When the last time have they seen AA with 179?

LSATneurotic

Silver

Post by LSATneurotic » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:28 am

Lacepiece23 wrote:
PoopNpants wrote:
Budfox55 wrote:Is there any strong reason why you HAVE to apply this cycle? If not, why not just take classes next year and in the summer to boost your GPA up and apply during the 2016 fall cycle? That way your GPA will be higher and you wouldn't have to pack all of your classes into a short time, thus decreasing the probability that you'll get as high of a grade. If you just wait a year and get that GPA up, you'll greatly increase your shot at T7 schools and $$.
Does it really matter, OP has prolly the highest AA lsat in the country (maybe ever?)
2.5 and a 2.8/2.9 is still going to be under whatever 25th percentile for whatever school anyways

So no black person has ever scored a 180 on the LSAT? I find that a little hard to believe.
statistically speaking, it's quite possible that it has never happened. that's over four standard deviations from the mean.

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Sun May 03, 2015 1:31 pm

LSATneurotic wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:
PoopNpants wrote:

statistically speaking, it's quite possible that it has never happened. that's over four standard deviations from the mean.
Truth.
OP is a unicorn. I don't even know why the thread has reached two pages. No one has any idea what her cycle will look like.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Mon May 04, 2015 5:19 pm

So no black person has ever scored a 180 on the LSAT? I find that a little hard to believe.[/quote]
statistically speaking, it's quite possible that it has never happened. that's over four standard deviations from the mean.[/quote]

Truth.
OP is a unicorn. I don't even know why the thread has reached two pages. No one has any idea what her cycle will look like.[/quote]

I did a quick search. about 70 people a year score 180's. I find it hard to believe-even if we take the last ten years--that out of 700 people who have done it none have been black. Just don't believe it. Maybe its true. I just found it insulting to suggest that a black person has never even scored a 178 before, which was said in this thread.

But whatever.

PoopNpants

Silver

Post by PoopNpants » Mon May 04, 2015 5:31 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:So no black person has ever scored a 180 on the LSAT? I find that a little hard to believe.
statistically speaking, it's quite possible that it has never happened. that's over four standard deviations from the mean.[/quote]

Truth.
OP is a unicorn. I don't even know why the thread has reached two pages. No one has any idea what her cycle will look like.[/quote]

I did a quick search. about 70 people a year score 180's. I find it hard to believe-even if we take the last ten years--that out of 700 people who have done it none have been black. Just don't believe it. Maybe its true. I just found it insulting to suggest that a black person has never even scored a 178 before, which was said in this thread.

But whatever.[/quote]

700 is a real insignificant number when you consider how many people take the LSAT per year (over 100,000) and how many black people take it (far fewer) compared to others, it's not hard to make an argument that it hasn't happened. I don't find it insulting, but I can kinda see how someone else could infer it in such a way. The point we were trying to make to OP is that a LSAT score that high would be gold to anyone, but especially an AA. Even better an AA male

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Tue May 05, 2015 2:36 pm

PoopNpants wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:So no black person has ever scored a 180 on the LSAT? I find that a little hard to believe.
Truth.

But whatever.[/quote]

700 is a real insignificant number when you consider how many people take the LSAT per year (over 100,000) and how many black people take it (far fewer) compared to others, it's not hard to make an argument that it hasn't happened. I don't find it insulting, but I can kinda see how someone else could infer it in such a way. The point we were trying to make to OP is that a LSAT score that high would be gold to anyone, but especially an AA. Even better an AA male[/quote]

Yeah I wasn't arguing that it wasn't special. It is a really great accomplishment. I just don't want to believe that no black person has ever scored a perfect score lol. That's all. Doesn't really matter to me though. I took the LSAT like 3 years ago. You guys would probably know more about this stuff than I do.

izha

New

Post by izha » Tue May 05, 2015 4:21 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
PoopNpants wrote:
Truth.
OP is a unicorn. I don't even know why the thread has reached two pages. No one has any idea what her cycle will look like.

But whatever.[/quote]

700 is a real insignificant number when you consider how many people take the LSAT per year (over 100,000) and how many black people take it (far fewer) compared to others, it's not hard to make an argument that it hasn't happened. I don't find it insulting, but I can kinda see how someone else could infer it in such a way. The point we were trying to make to OP is that a LSAT score that high would be gold to anyone, but especially an AA. Even better an AA male[/quote]

Yeah I wasn't arguing that it wasn't special. It is a really great accomplishment. I just don't want to believe that no black person has ever scored a perfect score lol. That's all. Doesn't really matter to me though. I took the LSAT like 3 years ago. You guys would probably know more about this stuff than I do.[/quote]
According to Law School Numbers no such person applied to Harward in the last 12 years. If you believe that he/she ignored Harward and applied to another school you are welcome to check.

Broncos15

Bronze

Post by Broncos15 » Sat May 09, 2015 3:43 pm

Clear case where OP should increase GPA at all costs.

While a 2.8/2.9 is well below all lower 25% GPA's.......Its more respectable from a psychological standpoint than a 2.5

if OP can manage a 3.0 so much the better ( take classes where an easy A+ is possible )

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat May 09, 2015 4:46 pm

izha wrote:According to Law School Numbers no such person applied to Harward in the last 12 years. If you believe that he/she ignored Harward and applied to another school you are welcome to check.
I mean, LSN is great, but it's not comprehensive. But I think it's safe to say that there aren't many AA 179s running around (there aren't many 179s of any race/ethnicity; it's a pretty awesome score for anyone), and even fewer AA 180s.

izha

New

Post by izha » Sun May 10, 2015 1:41 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
izha wrote:According to Law School Numbers no such person applied to Harward in the last 12 years. If you believe that he/she ignored Harward and applied to another school you are welcome to check.
I mean, LSN is great, but it's not comprehensive. But I think it's safe to say that there aren't many AA 179s running around (there aren't many 179s of any race/ethnicity; it's a pretty awesome score for anyone), and even fewer AA 180s.
No, it isn't, but gives a pretty good estimate. I, actually, haven't found any AA 178s either. So OP is a major unicorn with a nice story of a girl gaining confidence and eventually proving herself with that LSAT score. She might be rejected by some schools but for anyone claiming to be holistic she is a perfect candidate.

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Sun May 10, 2015 9:56 am

Truth.

But whatever.[/quote]

About 70 people don't score 180s every year. I'm not sure where you're pulling that number from. There were only 470 applicants this year who scored 175+. The number of 180s is more around the 10-20 range.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sun May 10, 2015 10:12 am

Lacepiece23 wrote:
PoopNpants wrote:

I have no idea how many 180 have or have not been scored, but this chart from LSAC may help put it in better perspective (see page 35)

http://www.lsac.org/docs/default-source ... -12-03.pdf

NoBladesNoBows

Silver

Post by NoBladesNoBows » Sun May 10, 2015 1:08 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Wed May 27, 2015 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rubberplant2020

New

Post by rubberplant2020 » Mon May 11, 2015 12:09 am

Wtf has this thread turned into. OP def send an app out to Northwestern, they take a lot of splitters. Also you will get into a top 10 if (a)you have a better reason for your GPA, (b) you research each school so you can interview well. Interviewing well means having specific questions about specific things of that school. (c) Writing a personal statement that is tailored to an academic topic that you studied or that youre interested in and connect it to why you want to practice law. This will show your "brilliance" , something that ypur GPA failed to do. Also you must write a diversity statement that is a tear jerker. (d) Get a job. (e) make sure you get an academic LOR and a personal one.

Remember a low GPA says you are lazy and are unprepared. everything you do at this point will need to prove other wise.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”