Hispanic URM...do related courses matter?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Broncos15

Hispanic URM...do related courses matter?

Postby Broncos15 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:15 pm

Hello,

I was curious .....would i be impacted in a negative way from any URM boost if I am struggling in a Spanish course in UG?

I was born and raised here but my mother is Hispanic. Because of the influence i have had Spanish spoken around the home and was exposed to it....but not so much the grammatical nuances in a course. I feel having this influence helped me test out of Spanish 1 and 2 at my UG institution since I got the credits without prior studying..., but then in Spanish 3 I felt totally unprepared since the teacher gave us exercise problems without teaching or giving an explanation to the correct answers

Now I am in Spanish 4 ( the most advanced one needed for my graduation) ....and struggling since this is my first time getting formal teaching in a Spanish course in 5 years.

From a URM perspective: would struggling in this course and getting a B/C hurt me anymore than getting a B or C in a History course for example

itascot1992

Re: Hispanic URM...do related courses matter?

Postby itascot1992 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:18 pm

Broncos15 wrote:Hello,

I was curious .....would i be impacted in a negative way from any URM boost if I am struggling in a Spanish course in UG?

I was born and raised here but my mother is Hispanic. Because of the influence i have had Spanish spoken around the home and was exposed to it....but not so much the grammatical nuances in a course. I feel having this influence helped me test out of Spanish 1 and 2 at my UG institution since I got the credits without prior studying..., but then in Spanish 3 I felt totally unprepared since the teacher gave us exercise problems without teaching or giving an explanation to the correct answers

Now I am in Spanish 4 ( the most advanced one needed for my graduation) ....and struggling since this is my first time getting formal teaching in a Spanish course in 5 years.

From a URM perspective: would struggling in this course and getting a B/C hurt me anymore than getting a B or C in a History course for example

No, thats like saying a lightskin black person is not as much a URM than a darkskinned black person

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:19 pm

What? No. I seriously doubt anyone's checking up extensively on your URM credentials. In some states they legally can't.

See this for more info:
http://www.lsac.org/jd/diversity-in-law ... applicants

Broncos15

Postby Broncos15 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:20 pm

The reason I ask is because those applicants who show that being a URM has a provided them a diverse perspective are more likely to get any boost compared to someone who simply checks off the ethnicity box on LSAC

Tr3

Postby Tr3 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:35 pm

Nope, I don't think it will hurt you. I'm MA and got a B- in a Spanish class and had a good cycle. Just make sure your GPA stays high. (I also did really well in other Spanish classes, though...)

Anyway, I doubt it'll affect you.

BearsintheRafters

Postby BearsintheRafters » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:41 pm

I'm also an MA, and I never took Spanish classes (French... such a dumb decision). Moreover, I didn't write a diversity statement for my applications. I still had a great cycle, and from what I can tell I got the URM bump. I think adcomms will appreciate any unique experience you bring to the table, but they won't challenge you to prove how URM you are.

However from what I understand, it IS important to be MA! I don't think other Hispanic ethnicities get the same bump.

Postby 071816 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:05 pm

no

Broncos15

Postby Broncos15 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:08 pm

So there is essentially no difference between getting a B in Spanish and a B in History for a HIspanic URM

Postby 071816 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:32 pm

Broncos15 wrote:So there is essentially no difference between getting a B in Spanish and a B in History for a HIspanic URM

that would be like asking if black URMs get dinged for getting a B in african american literature or something

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”