2014-2015 URM Cycle Results - IN/OUT/WL Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Harvette

Bronze

Re: 2014-2015 URM Cycle Results - IN/OUT/WL

Post by Harvette » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:29 pm

Any URM waitlist movement at HYS?

Ardent.

New

Post by Ardent. » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:24 am

Harvette wrote:Any URM waitlist movement at HYS?
I got into H off the waitlist a few weeks ago. AA Male, K-JD, 161/3.83, pretty good softs.

EDIT: Whoops, let me go by the format provided:

Type of URM: AA Male

GPA: 3.83

LSAT: 156, 161

Softs: K-JD. Graduated a year early. Managed a small business for 2 years in undergrad, and used that to leverage the fact that I wasn't bringing any out-of-college WE to the table. Published research and gave a few presentations on research topics. Political and social advocacy internships. Strong LORs from professors I had worked extensively with (2 classes and independent research with both)

Advice: Everyone will say this, but prepare early for the LSAT and be ready for setbacks. I started studying in Summer 2014 and took the Oct '14 LSAT. I wasn't happy with the score and retook Dec. Still wasn't happy, but decided to apply straight to H as a hail mary before refining my application for the 15-16 cycle.

As is the case with a lot of us, do not be afraid to apply even if your LSAT score isn't where you think it should be. I felt like I could make a case for H because I thought everything else in my application was solid. I had to sweat it out a bit longer on the WL, but it was all worth the shot.

IN:
Harvard (WL -> IN) (Waiting on aid)

OUT:
None

WAITLISTED:
Harvard (WL -> IN)

PENDING:
None

ATTENDING:
Harvard

WeeBey

Silver

Post by WeeBey » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:34 pm

Ardent. wrote:
Harvette wrote:Any URM waitlist movement at HYS?
I got into H off the waitlist a few weeks ago. AA Male, K-JD, 161/3.83, pretty good softs.

EDIT: Whoops, let me go by the format provided:

GPA: 3.83

LSAT: 156, 161

Softs: K-JD. Graduated a year early. Managed a small business for 2 years in undergrad, and used that to leverage the fact that I wasn't bringing any out-of-college WE to the table. Published research and gave a few presentations on research topics. Political and social advocacy internships. Strong LORs from professors I had worked extensively with (2 classes and independent research with both)

Advice: Everyone will say this, but prepare early for the LSAT and be ready for setbacks. I started studying in Summer 2014 and took the Oct '14 LSAT. I wasn't happy with the score and retook Dec. Still wasn't happy, but decided to apply straight to H as a hail mary before refining my application for the 15-16 cycle.

As is the case with a lot of us, do not be afraid to apply even if your LSAT score isn't where you think it should be. I felt like I could make a case for H because I thought everything else in my application was solid. I had to sweat it out a bit longer on the WL, but it was all worth the shot.

IN:
Harvard (WL -> IN) (Waiting on aid)

OUT:
None

WAITLISTED:
Harvard (WL -> IN)

PENDING:
None

ATTENDING:
Harvard
Congrats bro!!!

AlexandraHope

Bronze

Post by AlexandraHope » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:14 am

WeeBey wrote:
Fareslols wrote:Type of URM: North African

GPA: 4.0/4.15 weighted

LSAT: 168

Softs: K-JD, extensive undergraduate employment including managerial experience, lots of leadership/involvement, Rhodes finalist, Fulbright finalist, unique story (home foreclosure/homelessness/homeschooled), extremely strong letters of rec.

Advice: Take a deep breath. Everyone else in this is going to cover the logistical pieces far more thoroughly that I could even hope to, so I'll leave that to them. My advice is to breathe and be mindful of this process while you can. Take this process seriously and you are going to end up doing something incredible; freaking out every moment of every day between now and your financial aid letters next fall won't accomplish anything for you.

Beyond that, though, I can honestly say that it's worth it to really muster the extra money to apply to as many schools as possible. I was funding it all myself, so I didn't blanket the T14 and I wish I had. Although I am incredibly happy with what I ended up with, scholarship and opportunities may have been missed, and it's absolutely worth an extra couple hundred dollars in the short term for the extra chances you're giving yourself.

IN:
University of Missouri (withdrawn)
University of Texas (withdrawn)
University of Minnesota (withdrawn)
University of Michigan
Columbia
UCLA (withdrawn)
UC Berkeley

OUT:
None.

WAITLISTED:
Penn (withdrawn)
UVA (withdrawn)
Harvard
Stanford

PENDING:
None.

ATTENDING:
Most likely UC-Berkeley because they've offered me close to a full ride. I will ride the wait lists for Harvard and Stanford until I sign a lease and make a serious financial commitment to Berkeley.

This has been a hell of a process.

Congrats, everyone, on your hard work and earning your places at top schools.
Im not a 100% sure, but aren't North Africans considered caucasian and thus not URM? Either way, great cycle and enjoy the Berkeley with $$$$$![/quote
North Africans are usually considered caucasian from my experience.

NigeranOU

Bronze

Post by NigeranOU » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:41 am

Flokkness wrote:Work in progress, will update aid after decisions.

GPA: 3.9x

LSAT: 159

Softs, etc: Non-trad double major, worked full-time through school with a legal internship, 3 years of WE in public interest work that offered lots of court time and advocacy, lots of miscellaneous volunteer work stuffed in the seams between.

Advice: You won't know what you don't know until you spend a LOT of time immersing yourself in the material, and as importantly, talking to people who are similarly preoccupied. Don't be afraid to ask questions and definitely do not fear receiving acerbic TLS feedback. It's infinitely better to look like a fool here than it is to make a terrible decision about law school, or to mishandle your live application materials. So, ask away.

Scrounge up every conceivable advantage that you can (GPA, LSAT), and when you lose the ability to control those, then control what's still in your power (networking for LORs, resume, addendums, applying early, volunteerism, PS). Cannot possibly emphasize enough how important it is to apply early and to crush your app materials. Specifically, the PS needs to be immaculate; coherent, reflective, compelling, with top-shelf writing on display. Test drive it on fresh eyes until you have exhausted your abilities, and theirs... then keep at it. Lastly, carpet-bomb the t15 plus a safety or three, collect your winnings, and enjoy the ride.

IN:
Chicago $
Penn $$$
Virginia $$
Michigan
Berkeley $$$$
Northwestern
Cornell $$$
GULC $$$
UT Austin $$
Vandy $
UCLA $$$$
William & Mary $$

OUT:
Nowhere yet.

WAITLISTED:
Harvard

PENDING:

ATTENDING:
Berk
will you read my personal statement???

MadwomanintheAttic

Bronze

Post by MadwomanintheAttic » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:13 pm

Type of URM: AA Female

GPA: 3.8

LSAT: 146---157--159 (Applied with the 157)

Softs: Several part time jobs throughout school, and 2 years FT professional work experience. My LORs were from the two professors I worked with closely and who knew me and my story extremely well. Worked 30 hours/week as a full-time student at state flagship. Low income family, first in my family to go to graduate/professional school.

Advice: Get work experience. I think that's one thing that really offset my LSAT. I worked for two federal agencies and a major bank's legal department between graduating UG and starting law school.

Use the resources on this board to help with the LSAT and use people. Don't be afraid to reach out to students at the schools you're interested in via linked in or through the school. You will be surprised at how many people are willing to give you advice and guidance during this process.

Apply early! I didn't and my results show. It worked out in the end, but riding a WL is stressful, so save yourself and apply early.

Don't be afraid to get personal -TELL YOUR STORY. My diversity statement and my personal statement both centered around my background. I showed the admissions committee what factors shaped the student that I am and how that influenced my LSAT. I gave them a complete picture. I think my statements are the only reason I was able to be WL instead of rejected from schools as such a late applicant.

On a final note: APPLY EVERYWHERE YOU'RE INTERESTED! There is no precedent I could find on LSN or TLS for a 154/3.8 that ended up with T14 WL or acceptances. Remember that TLS and LSN are just a minuscule slice of the applicant pool, so don't be afraid to apply if LSN shows you'll probably be rejected or LSN doesn't have anyone with your numbers. Apply, be accepted, and add that date point. Good Luck to all future applicants!

IN:
Wake Forest
Duke
UNC
Notre Dame

OUT:
Yale
UVA
Georgetown
Chicago
Penn

WAITLISTED:
Duke
Northwestern (withdrew)
Cornell (withdrew)
Michigan (withdrew)

ATTENDING:
Duke!

terrier27

Bronze

Post by terrier27 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:51 pm

Type of URM: AA female

GPA: 3.38 (when applied, now 3.41)

LSAT: 160 (when applied, now 170 after June test)

Softs: k-Jd so just leadership positions in undergrad but nothing spectacular, internship with commonwealth attorney's office

Advice: don't take the URM bump as an excuse to not try for harder or sell yourself short, but also don't not apply somewhere because your numbers are a bit lower - just make your statements that much better

In:
Michigan ($$$)
BU

Out:
Penn
BC
Harvard

Wait list:
Columbia
NYU
Chicago (Edit: Accepted after June retake)($$$)
Duke (Edit: Accepted after June retake)($$$)
Cornell (Withdrew)
Georgetown (Withdrew)
Emory (Withdrew)

Going: Chicago
Last edited by terrier27 on Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

AnMzungu

Bronze

Post by AnMzungu » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:45 pm

terrier27 wrote: Going: Michigan...though I am still trying to decide whether to just reapply with the new lsat score
You'd be crazy not to reapply. Don't waste that score.

Skool

Silver

Post by Skool » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:54 pm

terrier27 wrote:Type of URM: AA female

Softs: k-Jd so just leadership positions in undergrad but nothing spectacular, internship with commonwealth attorney's office

Advice: don't take the URM bump as an excuse to not try for harder or sell yourself short, but also don't not apply somewhere because your numbers are a bit lower - just make your statements that much better

In:
Michigan
BU

Out:
Penn
BC
Harvard

Wait list:
Columbia
NYU
Chicago
Duke
Cornell
Georgetown
Emory

Going: Michigan...though I am still trying to decide whether to just reapply with the new lsat score
Chiming in to say: If I'm you, I'd make sure everywhere I'm waitlistef at knows That new score and if and when they let you off a waitlost, push for more money. Failing that you HAVE to reapply. You're going to be looking at $$$ at lots of places. Don't go to Michigan unless they are giving you money commiserate with your 170.

Talarose

Bronze

Post by Talarose » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:38 pm

Skool wrote:
terrier27 wrote:Type of URM: AA female

In:
Michigan
BU

Out:
Penn
BC
Harvard

Wait list:
Columbia
NYU
Chicago
Duke
Cornell
Georgetown
Emory

Going: Michigan...though I am still trying to decide whether to just reapply with the new lsat score
Chiming in to say: If I'm you, I'd make sure everywhere I'm waitlistef at knows That new score and if and when they let you off a waitlost, push for more money. Failing that you HAVE to reapply. You're going to be looking at $$$ at lots of places. Don't go to Michigan unless they are giving you money commiserate with your 170.
+1

I think every school that you're on the wait list for will reconsider with that score (congrats btw!) you've literally got nothing to lose and so so much to gain. Especially depending on what type of law you plan to pursue, there is a MAJOR difference between Michigan & the T6( Columbia, NYU & Chicago)

terrier27

Bronze

Post by terrier27 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:12 am

Last edited by terrier27 on Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shump92

Bronze

Post by shump92 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:46 am

First I just want to say congrats to everyone who posted their results in this thread. Sounds like everyone had success, which is just awesome.

Second, I have a kind of weird question for people more likely to peruse this thread. I don't know the exact breakdown of my heritage because my mom's birth father died when she was younger but I more or less know that I am ~75% white and ~25% Chicano. I have always checked both White and Hispanic for things like college applications or standardized tests because the Chicano part of my dad's family is the only one I ever interacted with. To make this short I look Irish so it has always been hard for me to embrace being Hispanic. I chose Spanish as my first foreign language to learn and studied abroad initially in Madrid because I wanted to have some engagement with that part of my ancestry. I know that this has helped me before and I'm pretty sure I fit within the URM consideration to some extent. My real question is what would people's perspective be on how I should handle this for my apps this year. I just finished up at Stanford and plan on retaking my June 168. I have high hopes for my options so I want to make sure I think about everything well.

Thanks SO MUCH for all of these posts though. Good luck next year to everyone who will be starting in the fall.

terrier27

Bronze

Post by terrier27 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:00 pm

Last edited by terrier27 on Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ltowns1

Silver

Post by ltowns1 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:10 pm

terrier27 wrote:Update: I will be attending Michigan with 150k scholarship! Thanks y'all for the advice on pushing for more money!
Nice, congratulations!!

terrier27

Bronze

Post by terrier27 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:46 pm

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”