What are my chances? Black male from Canada

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Bac
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:27 pm

What are my chances? Black male from Canada

Postby Bac » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:08 pm

.
Last edited by Bac on Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:47 am, edited 7 times in total.

User avatar
mt2165
Posts: 508
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:58 pm

Re: What are my chances? Black male from Canada

Postby mt2165 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:20 pm

Good. AA's with stats like yours more likely than not get T-6. Y might still be a little bit of a reach but you have a solid shot. S is target and I would say you're almost a lock at H. Will get solid money at CCN and a good shot at getting a full ride or close somewhere in the T14. Blanket the T14. Not sure if you're international status changes anything since they cans still check the diversity box and put you on a brochure.

Edit: If that last sentence seems offensive my bad, AA here

User avatar
downinDtown
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:01 pm

Re: What are my chances? Black male from Canada

Postby downinDtown » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:32 pm

No response to your query, but I was curious: when you say "international work experience," are you saying that because you've worked in Canada (and it's international relative to the U.S.)? Or I guess working in the U.S. would count as international work experience for you too. Or are you referencing some other countries?

Bac
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:27 pm

Re: What are my chances? Black male from Canada

Postby Bac » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:11 pm

downinDtown wrote:No response to your query, but I was curious: when you say "international work experience," are you saying that because you've worked in Canada (and it's international relative to the U.S.)? Or I guess working in the U.S. would count as international work experience for you too. Or are you referencing some other countries?


Sorry I should clarify, when I say international work experience I mean that I worked overseas in Europe.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: What are my chances? Black male from Canada

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:15 pm

Was your undergraduate GPA calculated by LSDAS or by the Canadian system ?

Bac
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:27 pm

Re: What are my chances? Black male from Canada

Postby Bac » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:38 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Was your undergraduate GPA calculated by LSDAS or by the Canadian system ?


.
Last edited by Bac on Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bac
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:27 pm

Re: What are my chances? Black male from Canada

Postby Bac » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:54 pm

mt2165 wrote:Good. AA's with stats like yours more likely than not get T-6. Y might still be a little bit of a reach but you have a solid shot. S is target and I would say you're almost a lock at H. Will get solid money at CCN and a good shot at getting a full ride or close somewhere in the T14. Blanket the T14. Not sure if you're international status changes anything since they cans still check the diversity box and put you on a brochure.

Edit: If that last sentence seems offensive my bad, AA here


Thanks and no offence taken at all haha. Will a 170+ get my in at YS? TBH I was disappointed with a 168, I was PT'ing 171-177 (with outliers of 165 and 180) in the weeks leading up to the test and I am certain I can score 170+ so I'll be re-taking in June.

User avatar
Indy16
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: What are my chances? Black male from Canada

Postby Indy16 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:08 pm

Bac wrote:
mt2165 wrote:Good. AA's with stats like yours more likely than not get T-6. Y might still be a little bit of a reach but you have a solid shot. S is target and I would say you're almost a lock at H. Will get solid money at CCN and a good shot at getting a full ride or close somewhere in the T14. Blanket the T14. Not sure if you're international status changes anything since they cans still check the diversity box and put you on a brochure.

Edit: If that last sentence seems offensive my bad, AA here


Thanks and no offence taken at all haha. Will a 170+ get my in at YS? TBH I was disappointed with a 168, I was PT'ing 171-177 (with outliers of 165 and 180) in the weeks leading up to the test and I am certain I can score 170+ so I'll be re-taking in June.


AA + 4.0 + mid-170s plus good recs and ps and that’s about as much of a lock as you could ever be for Y. Study up and good luck.

User avatar
WeeBey
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:23 pm

Re: What are my chances? Black male from Canada

Postby WeeBey » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:52 am

Unless you're parents are rich, funding is gonna be hard. You'd have to rely on private loans that'll use your parents as cosigners. Expect at H and Y where they provide institutional loans.

However, even if you get H, you're very likely to get a full ride at a lower t14 . If you score in the 170s you're in contention for a ruby/Hamilton which are way way better than hys for a international students who is big law or bust.

Take the money bro. And for big law, Black males recieve a boost at oci so that lessens the placement gap between hys and lower t14s.

Bac
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:27 pm

Re: What are my chances? Black male from Canada

Postby Bac » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:34 am

WeeBey wrote:Unless you're parents are rich, funding is gonna be hard. You'd have to rely on private loans that'll use your parents as cosigners. Expect at H and Y where they provide institutional loans.

However, even if you get H, you're very likely to get a full ride at a lower t14 . If you score in the 170s you're in contention for a ruby/Hamilton which are way way better than hys for a international students who is big law or bust.

Take the money bro. And for big law, Black males recieve a boost at oci so that lessens the placement gap between hys and lower t14s.



I'd only consider going to law school in the U.S if it was T-6 but i'll blanket T-14 nonetheless. No matter where I go funding won't be much of an issue. I'm also going to retake in June and try to bump up my score into the 170s so I can increase my chances of getting into Y.

User avatar
WeeBey
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:23 pm

Re: What are my chances? Black male from Canada

Postby WeeBey » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:22 pm

Unless your parents are worth more than 5M, money is still money. And if your saying money is not an issue, you're not getting need aid at HYS, so you'll be paying full sticker bro. That's 300k at graduation. You'd be crazy to take that over a full ride at Penn. Especially when all you can do is big law. Do a little more research on this site bro

Bac
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:27 pm

Re: What are my chances? Black male from Canada

Postby Bac » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:26 pm

WeeBey wrote:Unless your parents are worth more than 5M, money is still money. And if your saying money is not an issue, you're not getting need aid at HYS, so you'll be paying full sticker bro. That's 300k at graduation. You'd be crazy to take that over a full ride at Penn. Especially when all you can do is big law. Do a little more research on this site bro


Not going to venture into a discussion pertaining to the net worth of my parents, suffice it to say that the debt-factor wouldn't apply to me if I found myself in a position where I'd have to pay full sticker at a T6. However you are right, at the end of the day money is still money and I need to do more research.

User avatar
WeeBey
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:23 pm

Re: What are my chances? Black male from Canada

Postby WeeBey » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:26 pm

If paying sticker wouldnt strain your parents, then yea, go for it, take HYS cause youll prolly get 2/3 of them.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: What are my chances? Black male from Canada

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:29 pm

I don't know whether or not you'll receive any AA boost as you were born & raised in Canada. You'll be in the international applicant pool.

Bac
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:27 pm

Re: What are my chances? Black male from Canada

Postby Bac » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:44 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:I don't know whether or not you'll receive any AA boost as you were born & raised in Canada. You'll be in the international applicant pool.



But I will self-identify as being black, therefore I will still presumably receive a boost, albeit it may not be as strong as the one AA's receive. That's what my cousin told me. He was born and raised in Canada as well, did his undergrad at McGill and his J.D over at Harvard.

User avatar
zombie mcavoy
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:11 pm

Re: What are my chances? Black male from Canada

Postby zombie mcavoy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:17 pm

my speech is being chilled right now (by this: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=200437)

Bac
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:27 pm

Re: What are my chances? Black male from Canada

Postby Bac » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:35 pm

zombie mcavoy wrote:my speech is being chilled right now (by this: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 4&t=200437)



?

User avatar
90convoy
Posts: 918
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Re: What are my chances? Black male from Canada

Postby 90convoy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:38 pm

If you get the same boost you will probably be in everywhere and major money at t-6

User avatar
WeeBey
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:23 pm

Re: What are my chances? Black male from Canada

Postby WeeBey » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:10 pm

Bac wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:I don't know whether or not you'll receive any AA boost as you were born & raised in Canada. You'll be in the international applicant pool.



But I will self-identify as being black, therefore I will still presumably receive a boost, albeit it may not be as strong as the one AA's receive. That's what my cousin told me. He was born and raised in Canada as well, did his undergrad at McGill and his J.D over at Harvard.
Last edited by WeeBey on Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: What are my chances? Black male from Canada

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:18 pm

My point remains: It's up to the individual school as to how they evaluate the applicant.

Nevertheless, if LSDAS computes his GPA as a 3.99, an LSAT score of 168 should be enough for Columbia & Chicago & NYU. Yale & Stanford are hard to predict.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Heluvsme23, jg072012 and 2 guests