Wait List Fever - URM Edition Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
charlesacar

New

Wait List Fever - URM Edition

Post by charlesacar » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:44 pm

Hi Team,

I am reposting this to the URM specific thread, as a friend suggested you guys might have more insights. Apologies in advance if this is a major forum faux pas.....

So, I am still waiting on a few schools but I have had a recent case of what I can only describe as "Wait List Fever". I don't have a specific question per se; this post is the equivalent of showing a group of friends a rash and asking if they think it is normal. So here it goes.

166/3.5/PR Male/Triple major-double minor/Employed at a prestigious company:

Columbia- Held
Chicago- Wait-listed
Penn- Wait-listed
Berkeley- Accepted
Virginia- Held
Duke- Wait-listed
Michigan- Wait-listed
Northwestern- Accepted

I have not been rejected anywhere (yet) but seem to be doomed to the wait list. I am wondering if you guys would chalk this up to my numbers simply not being strong enough, or does it appear that there is something about my application that is turning people off (but not enough to flat out reject me)?

Also, how many people out there are having a similar experience?

Live Long and Prosper,

C.

ggnobbq

Bronze

Re: Wait List Fever - URM Edition

Post by ggnobbq » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:09 pm

Poof

idk man, i'm thinking we have to retake in June and hit median to get us off the waitlists.
Last edited by ggnobbq on Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

cc78

Silver

Post by cc78 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:54 pm

OP, I definitely think you've underperformed your profile a little bit. PRs get a stronger boost than MAs and I'd definitely think you'd get at least one of CCN (why no NYU for you? If you applied to CLS I'd assume NYU is palatable). When did you apply? Make sure you get those LOCIs in to these schools you're W/L at!

GG, you're right there! Just 2 more points on your LSAT and I'd think you'd really be dancing...have you reached out to Tr3 to see what distinguishes you two from each other?

180kickflip

Bronze

Post by 180kickflip » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:00 pm

I'm waitlisted at 5 T14s and waiting to hear back from 4. I'd say it's a combination of low GPA and late application (early January) for me, and maybe it's a late application issue for you as well if your apps went out when mine did or later.

charlesacar

New

Post by charlesacar » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:23 pm

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Glad to see others can understand my pain. I hope we all get a happy ending though. ; )

To give more information, I applied at the end of November, so it is not looking too good for my remaining decisions. I am waiting for responses from Stanford, NYU, and Harvard. I guess Columbia and Virginia too, since I have been held.

GG, if you are retaking I will prolly be in the same boat come June. Good luck!

IDK who tr3 is but maybe he can tell us what we;re doing wrong lol.

ggnobbq

Bronze

Post by ggnobbq » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:31 pm

cc78 wrote:OP, I definitely think you've underperformed your profile a little bit. PRs get a stronger boost than MAs and I'd definitely think you'd get at least one of CCN (why no NYU for you? If you applied to CLS I'd assume NYU is palatable). When did you apply? Make sure you get those LOCIs in to these schools you're W/L at!

GG, you're right there! Just 2 more points on your LSAT and I'd think you'd really be dancing...have you reached out to Tr3 to see what distinguishes you two from each other?
I have, and her softs + undergrad absolutely kill mine so it makes sense.

sorry to put you on blast, tr3

BearsintheRafters

New

Post by BearsintheRafters » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:43 pm

I'm a 3.5/170 MA. I'm in at Chicago, Penn, UVA, Duke and Michigan. I actually have worse softs than you, so I think it's definitely LSAT at this point. Consider sitting out if you don't get the acceptances/schollies that you'd like!

cc78

Silver

Post by cc78 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:11 pm

BearsintheRafters wrote:I'm a 3.5/170 MA. I'm in at Chicago, Penn, UVA, Duke and Michigan. I actually have worse softs than you, so I think it's definitely LSAT at this point. Consider sitting out if you don't get the acceptances/schollies that you'd like!
No H for you Rafters? I'm surprised...are you JS1 or JSwaiting?

BearsintheRafters

New

Post by BearsintheRafters » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:29 am

No H for you Rafters? I'm surprised...are you JS1 or JSwaiting?
I'm still waiting for that JS1... at this point I think I'm headed to the waitlist.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”