AA, 2.9 GPA, But Horrible Senior Spring Semester, T14?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
greatspirit

AA, 2.9 GPA, But Horrible Senior Spring Semester, T14?

Postby greatspirit » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:36 am

So, finished up undergrad in June '14 at a top LAC with a 2.9 cumulative. Unfortunate since it was brought down by a senior spring semester gpa of 1.12 (was a complete wreck mentally, trying to currently have some retroactive withdrawals take care of that, but seriously doubt it).

I was wondering, I know that Northwestern has a history of taking sub 3.0 URMs w/ WE, but I'd think that having a 1.12 gpa for a semester showing up on a transcript would be a death knell, regardless of what the cumulative ended up being.

What are everyone's thoughts about this?

cc78

Re: AA, 2.9 GPA, But Horrible Senior Spring Semester, T14?

Postby cc78 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:50 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your rough semester. I think that this is a classic case where an addendum is called for. Just be open and honest and make sure to explain why this stuff was one-off and that you're back on track.

Good luck!

Nomo

Postby Nomo » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:05 pm

The longer you stay out of law school this less problematic that GPA is going to be. It's always going to be a problem, but if you work for a few years - get a promotion or two, and generally show that the one semester was a fluke it will help a lot.

If you apply in the next year or two I think schools will be worried that whatever caused that 1.12 GPA is going to cause you to fail out of law school and/or fail the bar exam.

greatspirit

Postby greatspirit » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:32 pm

Thanks you two, it helped hearing that after my retroactive withdrawal petition was just rejected. I'm stuck with it.

I was planning on applying to LS during Fall 2016, so would start Fall 2017 as a member of the Class of 2020 of whatever law school I end up at. I'd be 2 1/2 years removed from UG by the time I apply, and three by the time I matriculate: do you believe that'd be enough time?

I'm sort of fortunate in that my WE is investment research, so that should show an aptitude for hardwork.

cc78

Postby cc78 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:35 pm

greatspirit wrote:Thanks you two, it helped hearing that after my retroactive withdrawal petition was just rejected. I'm stuck with it.

I was planning on applying to LS during Fall 2016, so would start Fall 2017 as a member of the Class of 2020 of whatever law school I end up at. I'd be 2 1/2 years removed from UG by the time I apply, and three by the time I matriculate: do you believe that'd be enough time?

I'm sort of fortunate in that my WE is investment research, so that should show an aptitude for hardwork.

Yes, that is a very good thing. As long as you can stay stable and successful in the working world, you'll be able to make a case that it was just a bump in the road.

rion91

Postby rion91 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:00 pm

NW is possible, but you need to get into a good job - higher up corporate, banking, economic planning, startups that show your entrepreneurship. they really value work experience, and a significant achievement and two years in a good job can say a lot about you

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”