Help?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
noguerar

Help?

Postby noguerar » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:00 am

I'm not sure where to even consider applying (next year). Can you help me with suggestions?

Info:

GPA: 3.7, Magna Cum Laude.
LSAT: 170.
College: Carleton College, #8 LAC.
Softs: Resident Assistant, Two judicial internships with Alumni, Won Best Small School at the International Intercollegiate Chess Championships.
URM: Adopted Gay Mexican Male (it's something?)

js1663

Re: Help?

Postby js1663 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:58 am

I'm not sure if you are or aren't URM, someone else can chime in who knows that (though I think you are, as do you, and i'll base my answer off that assumption that you are).

As a URM, you're gonna significantly out perform your numbers. In fact, with a 170 and a 3.7 you should pretty much blanket the T14 from Yale (or Harvard) and down. Mylsn.info doesn't offer much as far as sample size goes, though I highly doubt you'll get into Yale or Stanford but you've got a shot at Harvard and a great chance for all the other T14, including scholarships at some of the lower ranked T14.

Also, you should consider retaking if you think you can improve since you're not applying this cycle anyways. Currently you have a great shot at every school except HYS. If you can improve by 3 points you're pretty much in with some full scholarships at the lower T14 and guaranteed at every school except Yale and Stanford with a chance of getting into those schools too.

cc78

Re: Help?

Postby cc78 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:55 pm

There's no question that you're a URM. You should blanket the entire T14. Good things will come to you, for sure. I can't say that I agree that you need to retake the LSAT. At 170, I give you a good shot at H and if you don't get Yale or Stanford it will not necessarily be because of your LSAT.

If you think there's more LSAT points for you on the table, by all means retake, but if you want to play your hand as is, I think you'll be just fine.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”