Diversity Statement Final-Thanks everyone Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
sashafierce

Bronze

Diversity Statement Final-Thanks everyone

Post by sashafierce » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:45 pm

Thank you for the input everyone :)
Last edited by sashafierce on Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DiniMae

Silver

Re: Please help make my Diversity Statement better (Updated)

Post by DiniMae » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:42 am

Hi. My suggestions: Condense the first 2.5 paragraphs into one small one. Extrapolate on why it was important for you to have your own identity and to "overcome" your family's norm. There seems to be a big gap in the story; you go from a long discussion of background to "I made it out" and discussions of perseverance. What did you do to persevere? As a reader, I don't know. The focus should be on you and not your mom, dad, and teachers.

Also, the ending seems to not fit -- being nonjudgmental seems to come out of left field. I assume that relates to your mom's drug addiction, but it could be your dad or siblings too -- it is unclear. Or does that have something to do with any lessons learned or actions taken in your "overcoming"?

Also, I would use learned instead of learnt.

sashafierce

Bronze

Re: Please help make my Diversity Statement better (Updated)

Post by sashafierce » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:28 pm

DiniMae wrote:Also, the ending seems to not fit -- being nonjudgmental seems to come out of left field. I assume that relates to your mom's drug addiction, but it could be your dad or siblings too -- it is unclear. Or does that have something to do with any lessons learned or actions taken in your "overcoming"?
Thanks, I actually had a few sentences about what exactly I did but deleted them because I wanted to make my DS shorter.
DiniMae wrote:There seems to be a big gap in the story; you go from a long discussion of background to "I made it out" and discussions of perseverance. What did you do to persevere? As a reader, I don't know. The focus should be on you and not your mom, dad, and teachers.
Thank you for the feedback!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”