Harvard-NYU Trials Is it even worth it? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Blueblades

New

Harvard-NYU Trials Is it even worth it?

Post by Blueblades » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:28 pm

Last edited by Blueblades on Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoganCouture

Gold

Re: Harvard-NYU Trials Is it even worth it?

Post by LoganCouture » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:34 pm

Blueblades wrote:Ok, so i'm stressed. Gotta 161 on the LSAT, no classes. I have a 3.84 GPA. tons of honors and extra curriculars--founded three organizations. I'm trying to get into Harvard-NYU Trials summer program so that I can improve my lsat score. i've been non-chalantley rejected twice. Not even an interview offer. I would desribe myself as upper, lower middle class, and I'm AA. Is it even worth me applying a third time?? Does it really matter what I do??
You should self-study the LSAT. Take a look at the LSAT Prep forum, explore the resources on this site and buy some books/packets/etc.

This thread would be a good starting point: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=200917

If you got a 161 without studying you are in a fantastic place to score 170+ with some prep.

Blueblades

New

Post by Blueblades » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:18 pm

Thanks but I did self study, the RC is where i'm struggling and power score books didn't help. So I want to enroll in a class, and trials will help me out with that. But I don't know how I'd get into the program...its frustrating.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:23 pm

Blueblades wrote:Thanks but I did self study, the RC is where i'm struggling and power score books didn't help. So I want to enroll in a class, and trials will help me out with that. But I don't know how I'd get into the program...its frustrating.
I have no idea what the Harvard-NYU trials are, but I am 100% certain that they are not the best way to improve your RC score.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:34 pm

What kind of undergrad do you attend? To be honest, from what you've said, depending on what upper lower middle class means, the program description makes it sound like it may be aimed at students from more disadvantaged backgrounds than yours. Given that it's a completely free 5-week program with a $3000 stipend, they can afford to be selective (according to whatever criteria they use). You could contact them and find out if they can give you any input on why you were rejected, and you can always apply again, but if nothing else has changed in your application it's hard to know if you'd have any success. There are lots of other courses/tutors out there, even if there aren't a lot of completely free ones.

Blueblades

New

Post by Blueblades » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:03 pm

TheUnicornHunter wrote:
Blueblades wrote:Thanks but I did self study, the RC is where i'm struggling and power score books didn't help. So I want to enroll in a class, and trials will help me out with that. But I don't know how I'd get into the program...its frustrating.
I have no idea what the Harvard-NYU trials are, but I am 100% certain that they are not the best way to improve your RC score.

My Mom majes round 39K with a couple of dependants

Blueblades

New

Post by Blueblades » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:09 pm

Also, I attend a top Public University

wlee1220

Bronze

Post by wlee1220 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:00 pm

Blueblades wrote:
TheUnicornHunter wrote:

My Mom majes round 39K with a couple of dependants
Now that's downright odd. My best friend got into TRIALS with a lower GPA and way more advantageous background. However, I don't think it's worth the height and from what I've been told by career services people that I'm cool with the program has slots sectioned off for HBCU students (Harvard, in particular, has some pretty close relationships with Howard/Morehouse/Spelman like HBCUs).

However, I think that you can get up to 170+ without a class. How long did you self-study? How did you drill for RC? How many PTs did you take? Also, if you're looking for a class, there are other programs that may offer free classes. I can't remember off the top of my head which ones do, but I'll look into it.

Blueblades

New

Post by Blueblades » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:16 pm

I self studied for about 4 months. I used every book (literally every book) the LSAC.org had on its website.
However, for the forst few months, my study method was incorrect (long story, just know that it was), so the last 2.5 months when I had begun studing correctly is when my score jumped from like a 150 to 166, then it slowly declined to a 161--the score i recieved on the formal test.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”