How bad is February?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
MadwomanintheAttic

How bad is February?

Postby MadwomanintheAttic » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:01 am

I recently got back my December LSAT scores and it's not what I wanted. I have submitted all my apps, but I'm contemplating sitting for February while I wait. Provided I can increase my score, how detrimental is a February LSAT? Given the decrease in applicants, could a February take, provided it's an increase over the previous score, be to my advantage? Thank You.

ChiefMango

Re: How bad is February?

Postby ChiefMango » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:21 am

Hey Mad,

I have limited knowledge of the February LSAT and its effects on admissions, but here's the general knowledge I've been able to glean from TLS:

1) February LSATs may come in too late to change acceptances, but they may be used for scholarship negotiations after admission.

2) The effects it will have on your chance of admission will largely depend on the individual application deadlines for schools. If applications close on February 1st, most schools will have a clear picture of the class they are going to admit long before your score comes back. You'll be fighting with fewer spots left, which may make the score gain you get form February not as meaningful for boosting admission outcomes.

3) If you sit out for a cycle and apply super early next fall, taking either February or June,your score boost is much more likely to beneficially impact your chance for admissions.

4) If you want Yale, apparently you can take February and be good to go, since they don't do rolling admissions.

If anyone else has differing information, please fact check accordingly!

MadwomanintheAttic

Re: How bad is February?

Postby MadwomanintheAttic » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:14 am

Thanks Chief for your detailed response. I think I'll sit for the February exam and keep all applications in play to see how it all turns out. If the outcome is unfavorable then I'll have a great score that I can use to apply early with next cycle.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”