December LSAT woes - my chances?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
lawfullyhopeful

December LSAT woes - my chances?

Postby lawfullyhopeful » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:45 pm

I'm a long time lurker and found all the info here very helpful. I got back my December LSAT score and it's less than ideal (159). This was my first time taking the exam. I'm wondering what my chances would be now at a top school?

Hispanic female (Dominican), black
3.83 GPA
softs: year round part time job at a law firm, internship with the NY attorney general, nonprofit experience, vice president of 2 campus organizations, thesis in progress and set to be published, several honors and awards

Is it even worth applying this cycle? :(

Big Red

Re: December LSAT woes - my chances?

Postby Big Red » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:49 pm

A year of WE coupled with a retake would do you a world of good

DiniMae

Postby DiniMae » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:55 pm

If you already have everything else done and uploaded I say do it. You can always retake in Feb while you wait to hear back. If you're going to try and scramble to meet deadlines, I'd advise you retake and wait.

lawfullyhopeful

Postby lawfullyhopeful » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:28 am

My applications are just about ready but I keep going back and forth. I know retaking would be best but at the same time I want to see what happens (I wasn't expecting to take a gap year but if I don't get in anywhere it's not like I have a choice anyway).

I'm leaning toward the retake. I think the February retake, even with a better score, would still decrease my chances because of the late application right?

ChiefMango

Postby ChiefMango » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:43 am

If sitting out for a cycle is not an option, study as hard as you can for February and have everything else ready to submit ASAP.

If you can sit out, here's what I'd suggest doing:

Study your butt off for February, and put the finishing touches on your application. If the test / your cycle turn out favorably, great! If not, then dedicate as much time as you need to taking the LSAT again in June / September 2015. Since that would be your last take, do not take the test until you are consistently scoring in your range. You want to be able to wake up half-asleep and sick, take the test in pen (exaggeration, obviously, since you should never bring pens or mechanical pencils to the LSAT, but you get what I mean), and still be able to score what you want, before you sit down for your last take. If it takes you until September to get there, wait until September. Then apply early and kill the cycle.

In that time off, you should be reworking your statements to perfection. Don't over-edit, since that may make them worse, but they should be the absolute best foot you can put forward. Take the time to craft a great Diversity Statement if you haven't already, and write as many "Why X" essays to maximize your chances at schools that yield protect. Send your statements around to your trusted friends, and get as much feedback as possible. I'd caution you posting statements on TLS / sending them to anonymous people, but that's just my own risk-aversion talking.

May the odds be ever in your favor.

lawfullyhopeful

Postby lawfullyhopeful » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:27 pm

Thank you all! I think I'm going to throw in the towel this cycle and apply next cycle instead. Time to start LSAT prep again :?

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”