Applying Early Jan - 16x / 3.x

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
sanfran221

Applying Early Jan - 16x / 3.x

Postby sanfran221 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:20 am

Hi Everyone--long time TLS lurker here. I received my LSAT score today and I'm pretty shocked/disappointed as it was much lower than I thought it would be. I definitely do not feel prepared to sit for the February LSAT, but I may retake in September depending on how this cycle goes.

Hoping to submit most of my applications next week and I would also like to go to a T14. I'm pretty sure I would be an auto-reject at HYS, but do you think I have a shot at any of the other schools?

I went to a top 5 undergrad, have 2 years experience working at a law firm and an upward trend going on my GPA (3.6+ last 2 years of college).

edit: thanks again for the feedback, guys! Apps submitted, will repost numbers after the cycle!
Last edited by sanfran221 on Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cc78

Re: Applying Early Jan - 162 / 3.23

Postby cc78 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:38 pm

sanfran221 wrote:Hi Everyone--long time TLS lurker here. I received my LSAT score today and I'm pretty shocked/disappointed as it was much lower than I thought it would be. I definitely do not feel prepared to sit for the February LSAT, but I may retake in September depending on how this cycle goes.

Hoping to submit most of my applications next week and I would also like to go to a T14. I'm pretty sure I would be an auto-reject at HYS, but do you think I have a shot at any of the other schools?

I went to a top 5 undergrad, have 2 years experience working at a law firm and an upward trend going on my GPA (3.6+ last two years of college).

This is going to depend on a few things...first, what type of URM are you? T5 undergrad is harder to figure out. I'd understand this better as either you're HYPS or you're Ivy+ (Top LAC, Chi, Col/Penn, Duke, MIT). Obviously HYPS>Ivy+. I do think HYPS folks get a boost and maybe Ivy+ an ever so slight one.

I'll guess you're HYPS and AA. If that's what you're working with, then I think you have an outside shot at NW, Cornell, and Georgetown and should get at least a waitlist from one of them. If you get a boost for your undergrad then I think Columbia and NYU could be there for you, but that's probably a long shot.

Sorry to go here, but if you got a 165, that would open up Columbia and NYU to you.

wsag826

Postby wsag826 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:10 pm

I am inclined to be a lot more positive about your chances. I definitely think you have a shot at T14 and my advice to you would be to write a killer personal statement and make sure your resume is strong. I think that you can do very well this cycle if you do.

Cycles are really unpredictable for URMs. But I think your 160+ LSAT and undergrad will be a big plus, along with work experience.

I'd be inclined to say you can shoot higher than NW and Georgetown although both would be great options.

cc78

Postby cc78 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:57 pm

wsag826 wrote:I am inclined to be a lot more positive about your chances. I definitely think you have a shot at T14 and my advice to you would be to write a killer personal statement and make sure your resume is strong. I think that you can do very well this cycle if you do.

Cycles are really unpredictable for URMs. But I think your 160+ LSAT and undergrad will be a big plus, along with work experience.

I'd be inclined to say you can shoot higher than NW and Georgetown although both would be great options.

Let me clarify...if you're going to apply, then you definitely should apply everywhere in the t14.

DiniMae

Postby DiniMae » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:59 pm

If you're talking about applying this cycle, you're certainly NOT late. I have friends at UPenn and Columbia (AA women) who applied in January after the Dec LSAT and got in last year -- can't speak to their #s though. If your PS/DS, resume, and LORs are already uploaded and you just need to press OK, then do it after you get your fee waivers. I'd email the schools all next week and get your fee waivers. On the other hand, if you haven't completed anything, I'd sit out a cycle unless you're applying to a safety. Just my thoughts...

sanfran221

Postby sanfran221 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:06 pm

Thanks! I really appreciate the feedback! I'm an AA female and I went to an HYPS undergrad.

All of my application components are ready, but I am waiting on one letter of recommendation, which I should receive sometime next week.

I have the auto fee waiver from NW. Are other T14 schools inclined to provide fee waivers after sending an email?

DiniMae

Postby DiniMae » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:15 pm

sanfran221 wrote:I have the auto fee waiver from NW. Are other T14 schools inclined to provide fee waivers after sending an email?

I got one unsolicited from all of the T14 except HYS and Columbia in 1-2 week period. I'm not sure about unsolicited emails. They may tell you to turn on your CRS and wait.

cc78

Postby cc78 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:30 am

One last thing...of HYPS I believe P gets the highest boost because they have famously avoided grade inflation.

zim5354

Postby zim5354 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:12 pm

I applied with similar numbers last cycle around the same time. I ended up getting into a lower ranked t20, and WL/Denied everywhere else. I retook, brought the LSAT up, and reapplied the day apps opened this cycle. So far I've got a T14, and a couple T10s. From my example, and what I've read, earlier is better. Of course this is all my personal thoughts.

Your undergrad is better than mine though, so who knows?
::edit:: AA, Male

sanfran221

Postby sanfran221 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:27 am

Thanks again for the feedback!

I'm beginning to seriously contemplate taking the February LSAT. I was reviewing my December score and I lost 5 points in LG, where I usually go -0/-1.

That being said, I think I could at least get 165/166 if I studied hard for a month and retook the exam. Would it be worth it though?

If I submit my applications now, indicating that I will be sitting for the February exam, will schools factor this into their admissions decision?

I'm sure it will help quite a bit in terms of scholarship money..

cc78

Postby cc78 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:46 am

sanfran221 wrote:Thanks again for the feedback!

I'm beginning to seriously contemplate taking the February LSAT. I was reviewing my December score and I lost 5 points in LG, where I usually go -0/-1.

That being said, I think I could at least get 165/166 if I studied hard for a month and retook the exam. Would it be worth it though?

If I submit my applications now, indicating that I will be sitting for the February exam, will schools factor this into their admissions decision?

I'm sure it will help quite a bit in terms of scholarship money..

I HATE beating the retake drum, but in your case, each marginal LSAT point is so valuable. I did a little LSN/mylsn research and 165 is the median LSAT for African-Americans for the top 10 schools (I was too lazy to do the entire t14). If you can get that 165/166, I think you're going to have dramatically improved options.

Good luck!

Skool

Postby Skool » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:00 pm

I think retaking makes sense, but how many African Americans are there with 162+ LSATs? In this climate, OP will probably get/probably already has tons of fee waivers. If you have a 2-300 hundred dollars to spare, can couple your score with good work experience, personal statements, etc. I'd apply this cycle with your current numbers.

If you don't like the offers that are on the table in March/April. prep to retake in the fall. What do you have to lose? Just make sure you apply broadly for negotiation purposes.

I truly believe that right now, no one knows what's going to happen to urm candidates on the margins this cycle.

sanfran221

Postby sanfran221 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:20 pm

thanks again, guys!

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”