DS - Can I say I'm Native American?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Loney M. Setnick

DS - Can I say I'm Native American?

Postby Loney M. Setnick » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:12 pm

I know this is a bizarre question, but let me explain.

I was born in Colombia and adopted by white Americans when I was 8 months old. Fortunately, my parents really valued teaching me about my cultural heritage. They're perfectly bilingual, so I only spoke Spanish at home, lived in South America for a couple of years growing up, etc etc. I know Colombia is pretty ethnically diverse and I've never bothered to research/track down my biological family, so I don't know my ethnicity. I have brown skin, brown eyes, and straight dark brown hair. Most people think I'm of indigenous descent and I'm inclined to think the same. Over the years, I've met a lot of indigenous groups from South America, and I look a lot more like them than other types of Hispanics (of mixed race or of African or European descent). When I lived in South America, I was treated like someone of indigenous descent and I feel the most comfortable with that identity. However (obviously), I don't belong to a tribe or anything like that.

My question is, would it be appropriate/acceptable to put down in my applications that I am native American/indigenous and write a diversity statement based on this weird notion of identity that I have? Thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice you have.

RCSOB657

Re: DS - Can I say I'm Native American?

Postby RCSOB657 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:16 pm

Loney M. Setnick wrote:I know this is a bizarre question, but let me explain.

I was born in Colombia and adopted by white Americans when I was 8 months old. Fortunately, my parents really valued teaching me about my cultural heritage. They're perfectly bilingual, so I only spoke Spanish at home, lived in South America for a couple of years growing up, etc etc. I know Colombia is pretty ethnically diverse and I've never bothered to research/track down my biological family, so I don't know my ethnicity. I have brown skin, brown eyes, and straight dark brown hair. Most people think I'm of indigenous descent and I'm inclined to think the same. Over the years, I've met a lot of indigenous groups from South America, and I look a lot more like them than other types of Hispanics (of mixed race or of African or European descent). When I lived in South America, I was treated like someone of indigenous descent and I feel the most comfortable with that identity. However (obviously), I don't belong to a tribe or anything like that.

My question is, would it be appropriate/acceptable to put down in my applications that I am native American/indigenous and write a diversity statement based on this weird notion of identity that I have? Thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice you have.

You're Hispanic, that much you know for absolute certainty. Write your ps or ds about being adopted?

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:21 pm

RCSOB657 wrote:
Loney M. Setnick wrote:I know this is a bizarre question, but let me explain.

You're Hispanic, that much you know for absolute certainty. Write your ps or ds about being adopted?

He's Hispanic, but not the kind that provides a URM boost. I'm not totally sure, but I believe the NA boost MAY require having a tribal id

LoganCouture

Postby LoganCouture » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:14 pm

What exactly would your DS about being possibly of indigenous descent say? I'm not certain, but I think the NA/AI bump depends pretty heavily on how involved the applicant has been in his/her tribal community.

I think a DS about being Latin@ and adopted by white Americans would be much stronger to be honest, but maybe someone who is NA/AI should chime in.

FWIW - I am mestiza and do not check NA/AI on applications because I feel like it would be dishonest.

Loney M. Setnick

Postby Loney M. Setnick » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:48 pm

lc39 wrote: FWIW - I am mestiza and do not check NA/AI on applications because I feel like it would be dishonest.

Even though I genuinely believe I may be ethnically indigenous, I was wavering about checking the NA/AI because, like you, I don't want to be dishonest.

Thanks for the replies, guys, I appreciate it.

Dream_weaver32

Postby Dream_weaver32 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:09 pm

Loney M. Setnick wrote:
lc39 wrote: FWIW - I am mestiza and do not check NA/AI on applications because I feel like it would be dishonest.

Even though I genuinely believe I may be ethnically indigenous, I was wavering about checking the NA/AI because, like you, I don't want to be dishonest.

Thanks for the replies, guys, I appreciate it.

I am NA and have my tribal registration, some schools ask for your ID number, and I would assume at some point in order for schools to disclose information for 509's that they would require proof of tribal affiliation.

Loney M. Setnick

Postby Loney M. Setnick » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:45 pm

I get that if you're NA/AI from the US, you would need an ID number/tribal registration. But many indigenous groups in Latin America don't have that. Even if I had ties to a specific group, I'm doubtful that I'd be able to substantiate it with any paperwork. Just curious, how do law schools handle that, anyone know?

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:11 pm

This is the guidance LSAC gives.
.American Indian or Alaska Native. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America), and who maintains a tribal affiliation or community.

Hispanic/Latino. A person of Cuban, Mexican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race.

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:17 pm

Loney M. Setnick wrote:I get that if you're NA/AI from the US, you would need an ID number/tribal registration. But many indigenous groups in Latin America don't have that. Even if I had ties to a specific group, I'm doubtful that I'd be able to substantiate it with any paperwork. Just curious, how do law schools handle that, anyone know?

I think if you do either your ps or ds on being adopted and possibly trying to reconnect in SA I think you would do well

DiniMae

Postby DiniMae » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:09 pm

Pardon my ignorance on this matter, but if you took one of those $100 DNA tests that prove you're XX% Native American (of XX tribe), are you able to apply for affiliation with that tribe?

baal hadad

Postby baal hadad » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:16 pm

DiniMae wrote:Pardon my ignorance on this matter, but if you took one of those $100 DNA tests that prove you're XX% Native American (of XX tribe), are you able to apply for affiliation with that tribe?

in usa each tribe has its own rules on who can become/who is a member of the tribe

For example for the Cherokee theres no blood quantum requirement but you have to show that you have an ancestor on the dawes rolls

serdog

Postby serdog » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:40 am

My view (Law School may clearly state something different) is that if you can identify a cultural connection to a group of Indigenous People of North,Central or South American OR talk about clear knowledge but forced disconnection then you can write a DS but have some vague connection may not be helpful
Loney M. Setnick wrote:I get that if you're NA/AI from the US, you would need an ID number/tribal registration. But many indigenous groups in Latin America don't have that. Even if I had ties to a specific group, I'm doubtful that I'd be able to substantiate it with any paperwork. Just curious, how do law schools handle that, anyone know?

I can say that a strong DS work even if one does not have US paper work, I did much better with US Law School then I should have with my GPA/LSAT(but patchwork I got rejected by lower school then accepted me) I presume this was because I am Native American(as define by the Census) I also persume this was because some school determine who is Native American differently

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:33 am

Has no one made an Elizabeth Warren joke yet?

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”