.

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
LegalEagle111
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:46 am

.

Postby LegalEagle111 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:45 pm

.
Last edited by LegalEagle111 on Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11953
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: How much does being hispanic help?

Postby Rigo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:49 pm

It depends on what kind of Hispanic.
Only Puerto Rican or Mexican are known to give an applicant any kind of boost.

mvp99
Posts: 1384
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:00 pm

Re: How much does being hispanic help?

Postby mvp99 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:53 pm

MA and PR get some boost but not as much as AAs. Other hispanics? nothing really, at least systematically..

It doesn't "actually" add points to your lsat..

This site could help you get an idea. There's an URM option. http://lawschoolnumbers.com

User avatar
Ron Don Volante
Posts: 899
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:26 pm

Re: How much does being hispanic help?

Postby Ron Don Volante » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:54 pm

LegalEagle111 wrote:I've only made one post on this site before but have since been reading other forums... I read somewhere that being hispanic can actually "add points" to your lsat/ increase your chances of being accepted somewhere.

Is that true? If so, how much of an advantage can it give you?

I'm hispanic and at this point I'm hopeful for anything that could potentially help!

Thanks!

dude we already established in your other trainwreck of a thread that your Cuban ancestry will provide no advantage

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: How much does being hispanic help?

Postby 071816 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:55 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:
LegalEagle111 wrote:I've only made one post on this site before but have since been reading other forums... I read somewhere that being hispanic can actually "add points" to your lsat/ increase your chances of being accepted somewhere.

Is that true? If so, how much of an advantage can it give you?

I'm hispanic and at this point I'm hopeful for anything that could potentially help!

Thanks!

dude we already established in your other trainwreck of a thread that your Cuban ancestry will provide no advantage

This is debatable.

LegalEagle111
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:46 am

Re: How much does being hispanic help?

Postby LegalEagle111 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:55 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:
LegalEagle111 wrote:I've only made one post on this site before but have since been reading other forums... I read somewhere that being hispanic can actually "add points" to your lsat/ increase your chances of being accepted somewhere.

Is that true? If so, how much of an advantage can it give you?

I'm hispanic and at this point I'm hopeful for anything that could potentially help!

Thanks!

dude we already established in your other trainwreck of a thread that your Cuban ancestry will provide no advantage



haha newsflash: you don't have to read my threads.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11953
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: How much does being hispanic help?

Postby Rigo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:59 pm

LeagleEagle wrote:
Ron Don Volante wrote:dude we already established in your other trainwreck of a thread that your Cuban ancestry will provide no advantage

haha newsflash: you don't have to read my threads.

Making a new thread still doesn't change the fact that you're Cuban and thus not a URM.

LegalEagle111
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:46 am

Re: How much does being hispanic help?

Postby LegalEagle111 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:02 pm

Dirigo wrote:
LeagleEagle wrote:
Ron Don Volante wrote:dude we already established in your other trainwreck of a thread that your Cuban ancestry will provide no advantage

haha newsflash: you don't have to read my threads.

Making a new thread still doesn't change the fact that you're Cuban and thus not a URM.


Maybe... but it also doesn't change the fact that he isn't forced to read it. :roll:

User avatar
ballcaps
Posts: 527
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:20 pm

Re: How much does being hispanic help?

Postby ballcaps » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:12 pm

LegalEagle111 wrote:
Dirigo wrote:
LeagleEagle wrote:
Ron Don Volante wrote:dude we already established in your other trainwreck of a thread that your Cuban ancestry will provide no advantage

haha newsflash: you don't have to read my threads.

Making a new thread still doesn't change the fact that you're Cuban and thus not a URM.


Maybe... but it also doesn't change the fact that he isn't forced to read it. :roll:


of course no one is forced to read your thread, but it constitutes unnecessary noise on the site, as the question has already been answered numerous times elsewhere.

LegalEagle111
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:46 am

Re: How much does being hispanic help?

Postby LegalEagle111 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:23 pm

of course no one is forced to read your thread, but it constitutes unnecessary noise on the site, as the question has already been answered numerous times elsewhere.[/quote]


Ok first of all I can and will write whatever I want. GET OVER IT. Secondly, the question was pretty general and I think others who are curious can also look here for feedback. Perhaps there's someone on this site with helpful advice that none of you have regarding this specific topic.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22887
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: How much does being hispanic help?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:29 pm

This is actually the kind of thing that's been discussed a great deal here, probably mostly in the URM forum, which is where I've moved this thread.

User avatar
Jon_Snow
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:02 pm

Re: How much does being hispanic help?

Postby Jon_Snow » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:49 pm

.
Last edited by Jon_Snow on Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Atmosphere
Posts: 489
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:34 pm

Re: How much does being hispanic help?

Postby Atmosphere » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:20 pm

Jon_Snow wrote:It definitely helps. I don't think its restricted to people who are Mexican or PR.



Source?

User avatar
Jon_Snow
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:02 pm

Re: How much does being hispanic help?

Postby Jon_Snow » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:25 pm

.
Last edited by Jon_Snow on Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: How much does being hispanic help?

Postby 071816 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:25 pm

Atmosphere wrote:
Jon_Snow wrote:It definitely helps. I don't think its restricted to people who are Mexican or PR.



Source?

Do a forum search

User avatar
TheodoreKGB
Posts: 497
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:46 pm

Re: How much does being hispanic help?

Postby TheodoreKGB » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:39 pm

.
Last edited by TheodoreKGB on Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: How much does being hispanic help?

Postby 071816 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:42 pm

TheodoreKGB wrote:
Atmosphere wrote:
Jon_Snow wrote:It definitely helps. I don't think its restricted to people who are Mexican or PR.



Source?

It's limited to whoever checks the Hispanic/Mexican box. It's that simple.

Actually, it's not that simple. Lots of times there are different boxes for Mexican/Puerto Rican and "Other Hispanic." Also, it varies by school and whether or not the applicant writes a diversity statement, etc. The topic has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum.

User avatar
Atmosphere
Posts: 489
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:34 pm

Re: How much does being hispanic help?

Postby Atmosphere » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:47 pm

chimp wrote:
TheodoreKGB wrote:
Atmosphere wrote:
Jon_Snow wrote:It definitely helps. I don't think its restricted to people who are Mexican or PR.



Source?

It's limited to whoever checks the Hispanic/Mexican box. It's that simple.

Actually, it's not that simple. Lots of times there are different boxes for Mexican/Puerto Rican and "Other Hispanic." Also, it varies by school and whether or not the applicant writes a diversity statement, etc. The topic has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum.


Exactly. This isn't a new issue being discussed on the URM forum.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest