MA 164/4.0--No idea what to expect

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
narwhalsrfun

MA 164/4.0--No idea what to expect

Postby narwhalsrfun » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:05 am

Hi everyone, long time lurker here. I was PTing at 167-174 and had a disappointing September LSAT (panicked in LG) and then went into the December test ready and calm only to have something pretty awful happen as a result of test conditions. Won't disclose because its pretty unique, but basically it was dramatic:s

I may still retake, believe me I understand, but I am planning to apply with September score and hoping for advice on what to do because the urm cycles are crazy. I was thinking of EDing Penn. Rationale--I love the public interest community in Philly, it's probably my first choice school, and I am afraid I'd get WL or rejected if I applied RD. Fear: if I didn't ED and got in I maybe could have a chance at some small money which would help a lot, because my family has really limited means. I have no UG debt though because of scholarships, which means that if I can only get in through ED, I might just take the debt. Basically, I'm terrified. Other than Penn, I'm looking at:

WUSTL
UVA
GW
UCLA
Berkeley
GULC
NYU (would be awesome, but my LSAT :S)
Harvard (my LSAT :S)

Stats:
4.0/164
Disadvantaged background--family tragedy made me want to practice law. Worked a lot in undergrad, think 20+/week.
Three majors
Student Government Elected Position, plus three other clubs
Research grants from well-known organizations
ACLU Legal Fellow as a ugrad, AmeriCorps
Lots of activism work and awards for it
One big National Scholarship win and two Rhodes/Truman/Marshall/Fulbright level finalist spots

WeeBey

Re: MA 164/4.0--No idea what to expect

Postby WeeBey » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:48 am

Send more t14 apps, even if you wouldn't go you could use them to leverage scholarships

narwhalsrfun

Postby narwhalsrfun » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:01 am

Apply to more and still ED Penn or apply to more and don't ED? I'm scared I'd lose my only shot if I RD :s

LoganCouture

Postby LoganCouture » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:21 am

narwhalsrfun wrote:Apply to more and still ED Penn or apply to more and don't ED? I'm scared I'd lose my only shot if I RD :s

I wouldn't ED. Penn likes to see people who want to go to their school, if you could write a great Why Penn essay about how it's your first choice I think you could get in.

I caution you not to become too attached to a particular school. I'm pretty sure debt at repayment for Penn at sticker would be over $300,000. Literally no school is worth that much money.

I'd blanket CCN on down if I were you and toss an app to H because why not.

cc78

Postby cc78 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:07 pm

lc39 wrote:

This. Your GPA is really sweet. You're going to want to give yourself a chance at as many schools as possible. I'm definitely anti ED'ing at Penn. $300k is too much for any law school, and if you are serious about PI, you can forget it if you have that much debt to repay...you'll have to do BigLaw. Now, I don't know about Penn's LRAP, but I just wouldn't count on it. You might even want to include S in your apps (they do like high GPAs) and I know Berkeley loves those high GPAs and isn't so hooked to LSAT.

Either way, I definitely don't think you're in bad shape. Good luck!

Meow Meowsworth

Postby Meow Meowsworth » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:22 pm

cc78 wrote:
lc39 wrote:

This. Your GPA is really sweet. You're going to want to give yourself a chance at as many schools as possible. I'm definitely anti ED'ing at Penn. $300k is too much for any law school, and if you are serious about PI, you can forget it if you have that much debt to repay...you'll have to do BigLaw. Now, I don't know about Penn's LRAP, but I just wouldn't count on it. You might even want to include S in your apps (they do like high GPAs) and I know Berkeley loves those high GPAs and isn't so hooked to LSAT.

Either way, I definitely don't think you're in bad shape. Good luck!

I would blanket the entire T14. URM cycles are unpredictable, and you never know what might happen. Example MA cycle with similar stats: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/davee817

Obviously one cycle doesn't mean you're going to get in, but it at least tells you that you might have a shot. Apply to the entire T14 and see what happens.

Edit: Haha, scooped. Since sesto already linked that guy, here's another MA: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/anthony1027

sesto elemento

Postby sesto elemento » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:26 pm

If you don't get one of HYS or a t-14 for free, then I would strongly advise you against going this cycle and retaking or applying earlier next cycle.

That GPA is too good, don't sell yourself short.

Here's another MA example: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/zer0

ballcaps

Postby ballcaps » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:54 pm

hello, person who is kinda like me! (MA/3.9/168)

see above. i applied to every t14 and nothing else. most(?) schools are, at bottom, amenable to negotiations, especially if they really like you. hence, apply broadly to maximize leverage.

excited to see what happens with us. of course, if you don't like your options, pass, retake, and reapply.

edit: yeah, that school list is whack imo; don't bother with GW or UCLA.

cc78

Postby cc78 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:00 pm

Yeah, I just re-read your background and it would be a CRIME if you didn't apply to NYU, I'm rapidly learning its the home of the PI-minded set.

sesto elemento

Postby sesto elemento » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:03 pm

cc78 wrote:Yeah, I just re-read your background and it would be a CRIME if you didn't apply to NYU, I'm rapidly learning its the home of the PI-minded set.

Subtle Berkeley trolling right here.

OP if you do apply to NYU and you're also 1st gen then apply to AnBryce as well. If you're PI then apply to the RTK program too.

cc78

Postby cc78 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:45 pm

sesto elemento wrote:
Subtle Berkeley trolling right here.

:shock: going to go learn more about Berkeley right now.

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:01 am

you're in at middle of pack of t14 with $ and in lower t14 $$, $$$

narwhalsrfun

Postby narwhalsrfun » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:29 am

Do you all really think that I have a chance at at least one RD? I know lawyers shouldn't be risk adverse, but I contribute a lot to household expenses and the app fees are kind of scary when the median LSAT is so daunting :s To the person who suggested that lower schools might give some scholarship money, where would you suggest applying and do you think the lateness of this cycle would hurt a lot?

Thank you all so much--these are uncharted waters for me and I really don't have anyone to ask these questions to. To the person who mentioned NYU, I am not first generation--one parent has a GED and didn't have the means to go further but the other went to college to be a school nurse. To the person who asked if I was committed to PI, I am--most of my work has been in international and domestic organizing of migrant workers, which relates to my immediate family situation, and is why I want to go into labor law.
Last edited by narwhalsrfun on Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

sesto elemento

Postby sesto elemento » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:32 am

narwhalsrfun wrote:Do you all really think that I have a chance at at least one RD? I know lawyers shouldn't be risk adverse, but I contribute a lot to household expenses and the app fees are kind of scary when the median LSAT is so daunting :s To the person who suggested that lower schools might give some scholarship money, where would you suggest applying and do you think the lateness of this cycle would hurt a lot?

Thank you all so much--these are uncharted waters for me and I really don't have anyone to ask these questions to. To the person who mentioned NYU, I am not first generation--one parent has a GED and the other is a school nurse. To the person who asked if I was committed to PI, I am--most of my work has been in international and domestic organizing of migrant workers, which relates to my family situation, and is why I want to go into labor law.

Sorry meant 1st gen professional. You qualify for Anbryce as long as your parents don't have a JD, MBA, PhD.
Don't pay for fee waivers, email schools and let them know you're MA and give them your numbers and ask for fee waivers. You should only be paying for LSAC reports with those numbers. PM if you have other questions.

Also check out the URM forum.

cc78

Postby cc78 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:16 am

narwhalsrfun wrote:Do you all really think that I have a chance at at least one RD? I know lawyers shouldn't be risk adverse, but I contribute a lot to household expenses and the app fees are kind of scary when the median LSAT is so daunting :s To the person who suggested that lower schools might give some scholarship money, where would you suggest applying and do you think the lateness of this cycle would hurt a lot?

Thank you all so much--these are uncharted waters for me and I really don't have anyone to ask these questions to. To the person who mentioned NYU, I am not first generation--one parent has a GED and didn't have the means to go further but the other went to college to be a school nurse. To the person who asked if I was committed to PI, I am--most of my work has been in international and domestic organizing of migrant workers, which relates to my immediate family situation, and is why I want to go into labor law.

Most lawyers I know are VERY risk-averse...that's why you want them around.

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:27 am

narwhalsrfun wrote:Three majors

Was this all at once? If so how many hours of classes did you take each semester and how many years did that take you?

narwhalsrfun

Postby narwhalsrfun » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:25 am

The three majors were all at once and in 4 years and most semesters were max credit load-- I came into college with a lot of credits and tested out of some classes, which helped a lot. Also, all of the majors were challenging, but none was a hard science, which would have made that impossible.

Also, to the 168 fellow MA, I really hope you do well, that's awesome!

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:28 am

narwhalsrfun wrote:The three majors were all at once and in 4 years and most semesters were max credit load-- I came into college with a lot of credits and tested out of some classes, which helped a lot. Also, all of the majors were challenging, but none was a hard science, which would have made that impossible.

Well, superb job then. My most sincere best wishes to you.

ck3

Postby ck3 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:47 am

Apply early but I think applying right now is early enough and just advise the schools that another score will be forth coming and it the score is better, that will help them further evaluate your app in January when the new score is available. I am just saying that I think it is to your benefit to submit your apps now and then submit the December score when it is available.

You asked a question about lower ranked schools with dollars. Look at the geographic area where you want to practice. Look at the schools reputation/placement ability in that geographic area. If you there is a lower ranked school that places well in your chosen area and they give you big dollars, this may as good or better than T14 for your especially when you may have to take on more debt at a T14 to get the same job you could have gotten out of the lower ranked school

What makes it a difficult decision is the fact that you don't know if you can get the job you want out of the lower ranked school that you chose because of the better scholarship offer. So there are risks either way.

narwhalsrfun

Postby narwhalsrfun » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:50 am

I'm probably going to apply to the t-20 minus three or four schools and get most of my apps out this week. If anyone has advice on which schools to write "why x" essays for, that would also be so helpful. I feel like I learned a ton and I really appreciate all the advice

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”