Chances at T30 Schools? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
PharmaLaw

New

Chances at T30 Schools?

Post by PharmaLaw » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:06 am

Stats:
B.S. Chemistry
GPA: X.XX
LSAT: XXX
EC's: Very Strong
Rec's: Very Strong
Work Experience: 2 years FT

I wanted to get a better idea of the best schools I could possibly get into. Hoping to get a little objectivity - Thank you for your help!
Last edited by PharmaLaw on Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

kevgogators

Bronze

Re: Chances at T30 Schools?

Post by kevgogators » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:12 am

I'm sorry to hear about your parents, that must have been extremely difficult.

The fact that you're an AA is very much to your advantage. Your GPA is weak, but since it is STEM you might catch some slack...especially if you have an upward trend and couple it with an addendum explaining your situation for your first few years of college. WE is a plus also.

I'd say you have a solid chance at your goal. A retake would of course be beneficial, but might not be absolutely necessary.

I'm no expert, just my opinion. Good luck.

kevgogators

Bronze

Post by kevgogators » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:20 am

kevgogators wrote:I'm sorry to hear about your parents, that must have been extremely difficult.

The fact that you're an AA is very much to your advantage. Your GPA is weak, but since it is STEM you might catch some slack...especially if you have an upward trend and couple it with an addendum explaining your situation for your first few years of college. WE is a plus also.

I'd say you have a solid chance at your goal. A retake would of course be beneficial, but might not be absolutely necessary.

I'm no expert, just my opinion. Good luck.

My bad, I misunderstood from my first read over, I thought you were gunning for a T30 law school. I'm not sure about a T14 with those stats. A retake to make up for the GPA would undoubtedly make the difference.

ck3

Bronze

Post by ck3 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:57 am

Hello PharmaLaw

Stats: AA Male, GPA 3.4, LSAT (163, 166, 169), Lot of work experience; applied late and got only 1 T14 acceptance before made waitlist at ever T14 that applied to except Harvard (rejection). End Reuslt. - Great scholarship at T30

Great LSAT score. Congrats. First off I agree that it would be great to take the test again. You might strongly consider that, even if it means waiting another year. 170 gives you much better shot at T14 and much better shot at more money where ever you decide to go.

However, with your current stats, I would definitely consider some schools outside the T14 that have a good reputation. I think you could UGA and maybe Emory (I have heard that Emory is good on scholarships but I don't know that for a fact), or maybe WUSTL or Alamaba or GA Washington.

DEBT
if you proceed with your current scores, you might get some T14 acceptances but the monetary offer may not be to your liking. You may be willing to pay full price or nearly full price at a T14 to give yourself a better shot at biglaw. Think about the debt. Think about your goals. If you are young, you will have many, many years to pay back whatever debt you incur and many of the T14 have programs to assist with debt.

T30
I think you will get some very good offers from schools from 15 to 30. Think about your home state. If you wish to stay and practice in that market, you could probably get a very favorable scholarship deal from the best school in your state if it is not a T14 and that school may give you a decent shot at biglaw in your home market if that is a possibility and if it is something you are interested in.

Small Law Does Exist
I believe this from personal knowledge and from talking to people who go to my school. If you go to a school outside the T14, that reduces your chances at Biglaw. But you can also get Biglaw from other schools but the chances are reduced. So I would say if you miss out on Biglaw, you may have a decent shot at a small firm and I would say the starting pay is between 50 to 70. I am in the South. It may be more in the Northeast. There are some charts available online about small firm salaries.

VANDERBILT
I think schools just outside the T14 don't get enough love. I visited Vanderbilt and did a lot of research on the school. I think it is excellent even though I did not choose to attend. You may have no interest in Nashville or the South but I would encourage you to seriously consider this school and give it a closer look. I did not visit TX, UCLA or USC but I would imagine your experience would be similar if you decide to investigate those schools. GW gave me a great financial offer also.

Bottom line, I think it is in your best interest to get T14 with substantial scholarship. Your GPA makes that more difficult but your LSAT may make it possible. It becomes much more likely with a score of 170 or higher. If you can ride T14 waitlists until June or July that may help you also. If you are going to apply with the 164 score, apply now before the splitter spots fill up. I am assuming you have already checked thru this forum to see what results other AA males have received with similar stats but if not, you should do that and check Law School Numbers. It is a very useful sight.

Good Luck and Best of Blessings to you.

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:33 am

PharmaLaw wrote:Stats:
B.S. Chemistry - T30 undergrad
GPA: 2.88
LSAT: 164
EC's: Very Strong
Rec's: Very Strong
Work Experience: 2 years FT as a project manager

I wanted to get a better idea of the best schools I could possibly get into. I happen to be an AA male with the stats above. Very strong resume other than low UGPA. I don't feel as though my GPA represents my skill set appropriately (nat. science major, death of both parents fresh & soph year). The remainder of my application speaks for itself, along with exceptional recommendations but I'm not sure where I should be targeting. Hoping to get a little objectivity - Thank you for your help!
You will get t/30. And I too am very sorry to hear about your parents

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:25 pm

T30 isn't a thing though. Worry about the schools that makes sense for your situation; don't move across the country to chase some arbitrary (and meaningless) USNWR prestige.

It starts with what region you want to live in, and what you want to do. If you want biglaw, you'll probably need to retake. If your location is more important to you, go to the school that has the best employment outcomes and gives you the best scholarship in that location.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”