Pregnant future 1L

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
MHR13

New

Pregnant future 1L

Postby MHR13 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:35 pm

I am really stressing out and was wondering if anyone could offer some advice. Back in March I was accepted into my first choice law school. Exactly a week later I found out I was pregnant. Since then I have been through a roller coaster of emotions. I talked to the dean and let her know of my situation. School said they would give me 11 days after baby was born to stay home then return to school. I'm worried because being that it's my first year in law school which will be something completely new and stressful on its own, how can I do that and have a newborn baby? I have debated if I should wait a year or maybe do one semester in the fall then start again, next fall(if that's even possible). I want to go to law school really bad but I also don't want to put my baby second to anything else. Anyone been in this situation? Or could offer some advice?

phillywc

Gold

Re: Pregnant future 1L

Postby phillywc » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:37 pm

Obviously you have to do what's best for you and your family... I'd wager a guess that the answer is deferring a year, both for your family and your grades.

skw

Bronze

Postby skw » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:04 pm

Defer. I know this is probably not what you want to do. I went to LS with several women who had babies during the process. One of my fellow 1Ls gave birth over Christmas break. She made it through but it was emotionally very hard and she was near the bottom of the class -- just happy to get through. There was another woman who found out she was pregnant, deferred and started with a 9 month old with my class. She did very well and managed things though it was still tough for her to juggle. 11 days is not long enough post partem IMO to tackle 1L. You need to do your very best and I just can't see that happening when your attentions will be (rightfully so) focused on your newborn. It depends a little on what kind of support network you have, but in reality, with a newborn you are the support for that baby 100% for at least the first few months. I know what LS takes especially 1L and I advise you to defer so both you and your baby can have the time you need during those first months. They only happen once. LS will still be there next year. Good luck and congratulations. I know it seems tough but it is a wonderful challenge to face.

okaygo

Silver

Postby okaygo » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:09 am

tl;dr

defer is TCR

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum�