Class of 2017 Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
BankruptMe

Silver

Class of 2017 Thread

Post by BankruptMe » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:43 pm

So I looked at my incoming class and there are only 4 black (maybe 10 diverse total) students out of like 130, so I do not know how this is going to go.

I figure that since there are generic TLS Class of 2017 threads, maybe we could have a URM one also. I feel as if it would be nice to have a decent support system as we embark upon this journey.

So school starts soon, what is everyone doing?

musharraf

New

Re: Class of 2017 Thread

Post by musharraf » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:50 pm

BankruptMe wrote:So I looked at my incoming class and there are only 4 black (maybe 10 diverse total) students out of like 130, so I do not know how this is going to go.
Like it or not, we'll be looking at similar demographics for most of our careers, particularly in big law. I'd say don't lose heart. I've been interning with various lawyers this summer, and while I've had great mentors of color, some of the freshest advice I've gotten has been from a lawyer as white and male as the day is long.

My attitude going into this is to try and keep an open mind about what I can learn from my peers, no matter who they are or where they come from. But I'll definitely want to have a close relationship with my school's URM community as well, if only to keep me sane and grounded.

wlee1220

Bronze

Re: Class of 2017 Thread

Post by wlee1220 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:04 am

musharraf wrote:
BankruptMe wrote:So I looked at my incoming class and there are only 4 black (maybe 10 diverse total) students out of like 130, so I do not know how this is going to go.
Like it or not, we'll be looking at similar demographics for most of our careers, particularly in big law. I'd say don't lose heart. I've been interning with various lawyers this summer, and while I've had great mentors of color, some of the freshest advice I've gotten has been from a lawyer as white and male as the day is long.

My attitude going into this is to try and keep an open mind about what I can learn from my peers, no matter who they are or where they come from. But I'll definitely want to have a close relationship with my school's URM community as well, if only to keep me sane and grounded.
+1. I grew up in a majority Black/Hispanic community, attended an HBCU in a city with a strong Black community, and returned to work in that same majority Black community I grew up in. I'm kinda nervous about truly being a minority for the first time, but I'm trying to approach law school with an open mind about the people I'll meet, become friends with, etc.

I'm also going to be living in my hometown with family so I hope that helps to keep me grounded. I'm hoping it will be a little easier getting acclimated to law school since I'll be with friends and family and won't have to build an entirely new support group in an unknown city.

As to your initial question, I'm not doing much of anything. I'm going on a vacation in a few weeks and I think I'm going to read through GTM on the beach, but mainly I have just been chilling. I'm kinda bored actually.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”