I'm 4 years into a ten year plan - but is it the right plan?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Eric Blair

New

I'm 4 years into a ten year plan - but is it the right plan?

Postby Eric Blair » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:36 am

I am currently two years into my undergrad majoring in Computer Science at a large northeastern public school (top 60 national engineering school). I have always been incredibly interested in a career at the intersection of law, politics, business, economics, and technology.

My journey started when I was 16 and had a 2.4 gpa after two years of high school. That is when I started planning. I admittedly go to sleep at night with the fear of being replaced by robots or not having a place in the professional world. My ultimate dream is to be CEO of a fortune 50-100 company.

My first two years of college have gone well, 3.77, TA experience, treasurer of my school's chapter of a national engineering club, and am currently interning as a developer at one of the investment banks (JP morgan, gs, ms, or ML).

I think it is now time to start getting ready for law school/business school admission. It seems to me like jd/mba is really only helpful after getting to executive level, but I want to be a CEO in a highly regulated business world so I think it works for me, and the curriculum at Penn is exactly what I want. The point of this thread is I will do anything to get into the penn jd/mba program.

I plan on starting to study for the lsat this summer and the gre/gmat next year.

How does a plan of graduating summa in cs ->4 years in banking technology

Set me up for jd/mba at Penn? And is that degree worth it for climbing the corporate ladder? Im AA, and want a 170 lsat and 750 gmat.

I know this post is highly hypothetical, but I really like to have a plan and the career advice I have available at school is not reallly helpful for people with high aims/ not just looking for whatever job. What can I do while still in school to get my brain ready for what I hope to do?

fratstar1

Bronze

Re: I'm 4 years into a ten year plan - but is it the right plan?

Postby fratstar1 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:40 am

I mean all that will get you there but you could probably do without the jd and the headache. A Wharton mba is probably just fine.

Chrstgtr

Bronze

Postby Chrstgtr » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:31 am

fratstar1 wrote:I mean all that will get you there but you could probably do without the jd and the headache. A Wharton mba is probably just fine.

+1

It would also save you a year's worth of time and money.

If you are really set on that path though, a 3.77 and a 170 on the LSAT paired with your AA status would make you pretty much a lock for Penn law and would probably garner you money at CCN. I don't know what exactly B Schools look for in their applicants other than it depends mostly on your WE. I would check out Wall Street Oasis they would probably be able to tell you more about how to gain entrance into the high level business world.

twenty

Gold

Postby twenty » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:04 pm

Instead of going:

• undergrad (4) -> JD/MBA (4) -> career

Go:

• undergrad (4) -> work experience -> MBA -> career.

Don't bother with the JD. If you can get into HBS/SBS/WBS, any advantage you would have gotten from three years of law school will be hugely overshadowed by your MBA. Also, debt and stuff.

FairchildFLT

Bronze

Postby FairchildFLT » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:28 pm

“We’re not lawyers. We’re investment bankers. We’ll call you for the paperwork. We didn’t go to Harvard. We went to Wharton and we saw you coming a mile away.”

FSK

Platinum

Postby FSK » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:54 pm

Assuming you're really set on this, you're going to want to finance/business/management experience prior to your MBA. Having on tech experience and then getting the degree may not put you on the path you want.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundontshine

Bronze

Postby sundontshine » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:08 pm

It might be tough since you're coming from a lower ranked undergrad, but for your goals you should try and get an MBB consulting job for after graduation, do that for a couple years, then go get an M7 MBA. Going to get your JD/MBA without any work experience is largely useless if you want business, let alone F100 CEO.

If MBB recruits at your school and you can nail a case interview (you have time to practice) you'll have a better shot than you would with a law degree and an MBA without work experience. Forget law school.

swampman

Bronze

Postby swampman » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:39 pm

sundontshine wrote:It might be tough since you're coming from a lower ranked undergrad, but for your goals you should try and get an MBB consulting job for after graduation, do that for a couple years, then go get an M7 MBA. Going to get your JD/MBA without any work experience is largely useless if you want business, let alone F100 CEO.

If MBB recruits at your school and you can nail a case interview (you have time to practice) you'll have a better shot than you would with a law degree and an MBA without work experience. Forget law school.

This is definitely the ideal path. MBB almost definitely doesn't recruit at OPs school, but they will accept applications from people at schools where they don't recruit. It's a long shot though. The safest bet would probably be a job at the IB that you are interning with, and business school from there (you'll have a better idea then of whether a JD will be useful). I'm not really familiar with the developer role though, you might have better luck with B-school admissions if you can switch to an analyst/trading position.

lemons

Bronze

Postby lemons » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:17 am

FairchildFLT wrote:“We’re not lawyers. We’re investment bankers. We’ll call you for the paperwork. We didn’t go to Harvard. We went to Wharton and we saw you coming a mile away.”

YESSS i freaking love suits. and i actually said yes out loud and now my bf is very confused haha

FairchildFLT

Bronze

Postby FairchildFLT » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:50 am

lemons wrote:
FairchildFLT wrote:“We’re not lawyers. We’re investment bankers. We’ll call you for the paperwork. We didn’t go to Harvard. We went to Wharton and we saw you coming a mile away.”

YESSS i freaking love suits. and i actually said yes out loud and now my bf is very confused haha

Suits is literally the perfect show!

Jawbreakaz

New

Postby Jawbreakaz » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:15 pm

This was so devastating when I watched it live. Fuck.

FairchildFLT

Bronze

Postby FairchildFLT » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:55 pm

Jawbreakaz wrote:

This was so devastating when I watched it live. Fuck.

*Spoiler*

Keep watching. Who does he come to when he's trying to break his non-compete? Who does he try to hire to be his second in command? MMMM GUUUUURL!

Eric Blair

New

Postby Eric Blair » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:03 pm

Why do people view jd/mba so lowly? Its only one more year of school and seems like a lot could be learned.

twenty

Gold

Postby twenty » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:38 pm

The JD/MBA could definitely be the right call for the right kind of person, but you can't shoehorn yourself into fitting "the right kind of person" mold just because you want to. The JD/MBA is perfect for someone who:

1) Already has 3-5+ years of full time work experience in the industry (otherwise the MBA is worth way less)
2) Is able to attend the law school part for a huge discount (like, 90k+ scholarship at minimum)
3) Doesn't want to use the "wild card" that is the MBA to escape biglaw later on
4) Can articulate a cost benefit AT THE TIME of enrollment in the JD/MBA program (i.e, you have a written agreement from your company that you'll be placed on the executive track at your firm when you come back with a JD/MBA.) and that you wouldn't have this benefit with the JD or MBA alone.

Do not do a JD/MBA to "learn stuff." Even if I can't convince you on the grounds that you're throwing money down the toilet, wasting time that could be spent actually working, etc. etc. at LEAST let me convince you that the JD/MBA, in order for it to be completed in four years, requires that you shave off credit requirements of each. That means you'll be getting "less learning stuff time" from both degrees than if you'd pursued them separately.

Eric Blair

New

Postby Eric Blair » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:58 pm

twenty wrote:The JD/MBA could definitely be the right call for the right kind of person, but you can't shoehorn yourself into fitting "the right kind of person" mold just because you want to. The JD/MBA is perfect for someone who:

1) Already has 3-5+ years of full time work experience in the industry (otherwise the MBA is worth way less)
2) Is able to attend the law school part for a huge discount (like, 90k+ scholarship at minimum)
3) Doesn't want to use the "wild card" that is the MBA to escape biglaw later on
4) Can articulate a cost benefit AT THE TIME of enrollment in the JD/MBA program (i.e, you have a written agreement from your company that you'll be placed on the executive track at your firm when you come back with a JD/MBA.) and that you wouldn't have this benefit with the JD or MBA alone.

Do not do a JD/MBA to "learn stuff." Even if I can't convince you on the grounds that you're throwing money down the toilet, wasting time that could be spent actually working, etc. etc. at LEAST let me convince you that the JD/MBA, in order for it to be completed in four years, requires that you shave off credit requirements of each. That means you'll be getting "less learning stuff time" from both degrees than if you'd pursued them separately.

This is exactly the profile I hope to fit in 5-7 years. I just looked into joining my school's consulting club. I wanted to be a lawyer my entire life( dad practices law ) so if I dont get an elite job after college I have no problem going right to law school ( NYU business leadership program provides a full ride ). URM at 3.75+ 170ish could get me money to a top law school right?

I had a 98 percentile SAT and feel I can get at least a 170( I think I could get a 175 but if its hypothetical i might as well say I could get a 180, i know it doesnt mean anything until i have the paperwork ).

I just get really excited when I think about working at the intersection of law, technology, and business. What can I do now( entering junior year ) to be more competetive? I will start studying for case interviews and the lsat this year, and the gmat next year. I know GPA is important, and my main priority, but what else should I look for?

I think you guys can probably tell going to a state school has put a decently sized chip on my shoulder. Places like this URM student forum are very valuable to me coming from a very segregated and poor city in which everyone wants to be a rapper. I dont really have 'coleagues' to discuss this kind of thing with.

Chrstgtr

Bronze

Postby Chrstgtr » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:01 pm

A 3.75 and an LSAT 170+ as a URM will have you looking at HYS. Give yourself enough time to study for the LSAT. It is way more time consuming than you can ever imagine. Be wary of trying to do that at the same time as fall recruiting. Fall recruiting might as well be a whole extra class between interviews and prepping.

sunsheyen

New

Postby sunsheyen » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:00 am

Eric Blair wrote:
I think you guys can probably tell going to a state school has put a decently sized chip on my shoulder. Places like this URM student forum are very valuable to me coming from a very segregated and poor city in which everyone wants to be a rapper. I dont really have 'coleagues' to discuss this kind of thing with.

I'm not trying to be an asshole, but didn't you just say your dad practices law? Seems like you would at least have SOME opportunity for information or discussion. A little bit different than this poor, segregated life experience you see in your city.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum?