I am half Puerto Rican. Should I write a diversity statement Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
jdwinn0963

New

I am half Puerto Rican. Should I write a diversity statement

Post by jdwinn0963 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:17 pm

I am half Puerto Rican on my mother's side. I am very proud of my Puerto Rican heritage and have been considering writing a diversity statement. I would write about how I grew up hearing the stories of how my grandparents and their children moved from Puerto Rico to New York in the 1950s. Shortly after their move, my grandfather died of Tuberculosis and my mom along with her 11 brothers and sisters had to spend their childhood working to pay the bills to stay out of poverty. They grew close as a family and all of the children developed strong work ethics from what they went through in their childhood. I would write about how my mom and uncles/aunts inspired me and taught me the importance of a work ethic and to be proud of my Puerto Rican heritage and where we came from. Would this be a good diversity statement?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: I am half Puerto Rican. Should I write a diversity statement

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:25 pm

You asked this same question already - no duplicate threads. (You can bump your earlier one if you want more input but I think everyone will say yes, write a diversity statement.)

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”