URM 2014-2015 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

Which of these April ASWs do you plan to attend?

Yale (4/16-4/18)
16%
Stanford (4/25-4/27)
16%
Harvard (4/18-4/20)
32%
Chicago (4/9-4/11)
13%
NYU (4/16-4/17
3%
Penn (4/13)
3%
Michigan (4/9-4/11)
6%
Northwestern (4/10-4/11)
6%
Cornell (4/17)
3%

Total votes: 31

JamaicanSaiyan8

New

Re: URM 2014-2015 Cycle Thread

Post by JamaicanSaiyan8 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:03 am

Flokkness wrote:Okay, so...Berkeley ya'll. Took three horrific weeks of wrangling and planning with the fiance, who is thrilled despite the 2~ year LDR we're looking at. Final COA of about 80k assuming I don't tank my need package with SA work (Berk's formula is fairly generous, so not overly concerned). Super thrilled. Got to sniff Harvard and Columbia in passing even. Far more than this old timer anticipated a year ago. :mrgreen:

Who else is heading to Boalt this fall? :wink:
Congrats man!!! I know it must've been quite a difficult decision but its Berkeley is an amazing school and its even more attractive with that COA. Three years out west for an east coast guy is never a bad outcome.

Atmosphere

Silver

Post by Atmosphere » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:06 am

Flokkness wrote:Okay, so...Berkeley ya'll. Took three horrific weeks of wrangling and planning with the fiance, who is thrilled despite the 2~ year LDR we're looking at. Final COA of about 80k assuming I don't tank my need package with SA work (Berk's formula is fairly generous, so not overly concerned). Super thrilled. Got to sniff Harvard and Columbia in passing even. Far more than this old timer anticipated a year ago. :mrgreen:

:mrgreen:

MidwestTho

New

Post by MidwestTho » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:41 am

Flokkness wrote:
With that GPA and URM status the answer simply has to be retake and swoop in for the kill next cycle.

Having done as well as you have with a single-take LSAT "closer to 153 than 160" should serve as a fair indication of what you could do with a legitimately competitive LSAT as far as admissions and aid. The presumptive lay preftige and schollies from a much-improved retake may even be more in line with your nebulous political goals in that, as to the latter, you'll have more freedom to up and leave practice instead of breaking yourself over the wheel of biglaw in service of debt and spinning away your youth and real ambitions in the process. If you don't really want a lifetime career in law, it'd behoove you to preserve every exit strategy you can, which means racking up as little debt as humanly possible. And at the end of the day you'll always regret any final decision you make in the absence of a serious retake effort, and rightfully so.

If you're dead set on matriculating this fall, I'd call around ASAP and beg for deposit extensions and expedited aid packages prior to making any decision.

Full disclosure: this is random two cents from unqualified internet guy. There are far more adept and experienced posters here. All that being said - I feel your pain (similar numbers) and wish you the best of luck. :P
No I definitely appreciate the advice/I was actually going to ask you how you got so much more money because my GPA is similar or possibly higher, but your LSAT is definitely about 4-5 points higher than mine.

jw316

Silver

Post by jw316 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:52 am

Congrats Flokk!!

pushsum123

Bronze

Post by pushsum123 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:02 am

Hey there! Congrats on your acceptances! To be fair, I think you've already received all of the advice you're going to get. You should retake the LSAT and reapply early next cycle. You have two more takes, so you can do it both in June and then again in October. Do you think that a 15X is the best you can do? I doubt it is since you were able to maintain a GPA over 3.9. Right now you want people to help you pick from among several not so smart options. While the schools themselves are excellent, with 2 months of studying and an extra year of waiting, you could be attending those same schools with a full ride or pretty close to it. Nobody is going to tell you to go ahead and take on loads of debt when your profile dictates that you could very easily be going for next to nothing. If you do decide to matriculate, just know that your chosen school will be thanking its lucky stars because it will have got you for far less of a price than you're worth. You should be posting in the LSAT forum instead of here ;) . Good luck making your decision!

MidwestTho

New

Post by MidwestTho » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:46 am

pushsum123 wrote:
Hey there! Congrats on your acceptances! To be fair, I think you've already received all of the advice you're going to get. You should retake the LSAT and reapply early next cycle. You have two more takes, so you can do it both in June and then again in October. Do you think that a 15X is the best you can do? I doubt it is since you were able to maintain a GPA over 3.9. Right now you want people to help you pick from among several not so smart options. While the schools themselves are excellent, with 2 months of studying and an extra year of waiting, you could be attending those same schools with a full ride or pretty close to it. Nobody is going to tell you to go ahead and take on loads of debt when your profile dictates that you could very easily be going for next to nothing. If you do decide to matriculate, just know that your chosen school will be thanking its lucky stars because it will have got you for far less of a price than you're worth. You should be posting in the LSAT forum instead of here ;) . Good luck making your decision!
I don't know. When I did things untimed I didn't miss too many questions, in my prep I did score in the 160s/a 169 at a point, but I had bad issues with timing that I couldn't really correct before the exam and LG was always a thorn in my side. Between those two issues, it led to me guessing roughly half of the questions in a single section without attempting them just so I wouldn't have unfilled bubbles all the way down the page. The reason I'm a bit reluctant is because I spoke to a recruiter at White & Case, she scored lower than I did on the LSAT, didn't have any issues passing the NY/DC bar, etc. Also says that with what she makes she definitely notices the loan payments, but it isn't enough where she's scraping by at all.
Last edited by MidwestTho on Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

itascot1992

Bronze

Post by itascot1992 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:48 am

MidwestTho wrote:
pushsum123 wrote:
I don't know. When I did things untimed I didn't miss too many questions, in my prep I did score in the 160s/a 169 at a point, but I had bad issues with timing that I couldn't really correct before the exam and LG was always a thorn in my side. Between those two issues, it led to me guessing roughly half of the questions in a single section without attempting them just so I wouldn't have unfilled bubbles all the way down the page. The reason I'm a bit reluctant is being I spoke to a recruiter at White & Case, she scored lower than I did on the LSAT, didn't have any issues passing the NY/DC bar, etc. Also says that with what she makes she definitely notices the loan payments, but it isn't enough where she's scraping by at all.
"NOTICES LOAN PAYMENTS" versus retake and LAUGH at your minimal loan payments

MidwestTho

New

Post by MidwestTho » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:55 am

itascot1992 wrote:
MidwestTho wrote:
pushsum123 wrote:
I don't know. When I did things untimed I didn't miss too many questions, in my prep I did score in the 160s/a 169 at a point, but I had bad issues with timing that I couldn't really correct before the exam and LG was always a thorn in my side. Between those two issues, it led to me guessing roughly half of the questions in a single section without attempting them just so I wouldn't have unfilled bubbles all the way down the page. The reason I'm a bit reluctant is being I spoke to a recruiter at White & Case, she scored lower than I did on the LSAT, didn't have any issues passing the NY/DC bar, etc. Also says that with what she makes she definitely notices the loan payments, but it isn't enough where she's scraping by at all.
"NOTICES LOAN PAYMENTS" versus retake and LAUGH at your minimal loan payments
I hear you, but let's say I re-take and for whatever reason I can't break 160. I know I can't "lose" my GPA since it's set in stone, but where does that put me?

jemthey17

Silver

Post by jemthey17 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:08 am

MidwestTho wrote: I hear you, but let's say I re-take and for whatever reason I can't break 160. I know I can't "lose" my GPA since it's set in stone, but where does that put me?
No worse off than you are now. I wouldn't settle, if I were you. I talked to so many attorneys who told me they wished they had just retaken because of the money it would save them or because they could have gotten into a higher-ranked school. The LSAT is learnable, especially LG. If LG is where you struggle the most, I would say that's probably a good thing because it's the easiest section to learn to do better at and pick up easy points. If you could pick up a few more points in LG (very, very doable), you are looking at much better options next year.

Gold

[s][/s]

Post by 03282016 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:34 am

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

MidwestTho

New

Post by MidwestTho » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:18 pm

Certainly food for thought. Just hasing it out in the forums/in PM's has definitely given me some clarity I didn't have before but I still need to visit just to see what the fit is.

I'm hoping for a generous offer, or for Harvard to come through and make this decision for me. But a retake isn't out of the question.

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:29 pm

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad you made a decision! I may visit you 3L with the exchange program, but I won't be there this fall. :-(

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:32 pm

liz9332 wrote:Hello all! 1st time posting in this thread but I have been lurking for a while. Wanted to see if anyone has had any luck negotionating twice? 1 of the main schools I am considering initially offered me 0 but then I was able to get them up quite a bit. But after talking to some of the students in the black law student association (I'm an AA female) I got the impression that there was even more money to be had especially since they have a very low number of AA students and are trying to draw more, but, obviously they were trying to hold it back giving money if possible. Any input would be helpful :)
Welcome to the thread. Did you figure it out with your $$$?

sashafierce

Bronze

Post by sashafierce » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:28 pm

So all my decisions are finally in:

Waitlist:Columbia, NYU, Duke, Michigan, Cornell, Georgetown, Northwestern
Deny: Harvard, UVA, Chicago, Penn
Admit: Nil

I applied late Jan-mid Feb so I am assuming that is the main reason why my cycle was a bust. Hopefully, next cycle would be better once I apply early. Nothing happens before its time :)

Enjoy 1L guys!

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:14 pm

sashafierce wrote:So all my decisions are finally in:

Waitlist:Columbia, NYU, Duke, Michigan, Cornell, Georgetown, Northwestern
Deny: Harvard, UVA, Chicago, Penn
Admit: Nil

I applied late Jan-mid Feb so I am assuming that is the main reason why my cycle was a bust. Hopefully, next cycle would be better once I apply early. Nothing happens before its time :)

Enjoy 1L guys!
Oh no! Sorry to hear this but it all happens for a reason. Reach out to us if you have questions. Are you retaking while you wait?

sashafierce

Bronze

Post by sashafierce » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:50 pm

@dinimae I already took the tests 3 times and won't be able to retake until December 2015. I will retake it then but I plan to send my applications out in September. I have a low 160s score so hopefully a early application+ a possible higher score would mean a better cycle for me next cycle.

JamaicanSaiyan8

New

Post by JamaicanSaiyan8 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:04 pm

sashafierce wrote:@dinimae I already took the tests 3 times and won't be able to retake until December 2015. I will retake it then but I plan to send my applications out in September. I have a low 160s score so hopefully a early application+ a possible higher score would mean a better cycle for me next cycle.
Sorry to hear that your cycle didn't go as well as you hoped but it's good that you maintain a positive attitude. At least now you have a cycle/years worth of experience under your belt that will help in your next at bat. Since you can't retake then I'd suggest attacking the other parts of your application under your control, such as getting in the apps as early as possible, LoRs, and the PS. Do you plan on riding out any of the waitlists? If not then I wish you a better cycle next time around.

sashafierce

Bronze

Post by sashafierce » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:31 pm

JamaicanSaiyan8 wrote:
sashafierce wrote:@dinimae I already took the tests 3 times and won't be able to retake until December 2015. I will retake it then but I plan to send my applications out in September. I have a low 160s score so hopefully a early application+ a possible higher score would mean a better cycle for me next cycle.
Sorry to hear that your cycle didn't go as well as you hoped but it's good that you maintain a positive attitude. At least now you have a cycle/years worth of experience under your belt that will help in your next at bat. Since you can't retake then I'd suggest attacking the other parts of your application under your control, such as getting in the apps as early as possible, LoRs, and the PS. Do you plan on riding out any of the waitlists? If not then I wish you a better cycle next time around.
I am riding out all but I am not holding my breath plus I am not going to attend any school at sticker.

Atmosphere

Silver

Post by Atmosphere » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:15 pm

Finally WLed @ Stanford

Flokkness

Bronze

Post by Flokkness » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:07 pm

Atmosphere wrote:Finally WLed @ Stanford
Muah, congrats!

Atmosphere

Silver

Post by Atmosphere » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:25 pm

Flokkness wrote:
Atmosphere wrote:Finally WLed @ Stanford
Muah, congrats!
Haha thanks flok, but S can't stop the dream team hittin' up berk

90convoy

Silver

Post by 90convoy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:21 pm

wait list at Stanford too, but I will be withdrawing

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:24 pm

I think I'm the last person to hear anything from SLS. Still UR1

Flokkness

Bronze

Post by Flokkness » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:38 am

DiniMae wrote:I think I'm the last person to hear anything from SLS. Still UR1
I'm with ya Dini.

It's nice to finally be immune to that kind of disappointment.

Tr3

Silver

Post by Tr3 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:59 am

SLS seems to have made many URMs wait to get a decision late in the cycle. After 164 days of UR, I got my ding on Monday (well, in the mail. DLS last Friday). So that means I struck out at YHS, but I'm not pressed and definitely grateful for my cycle.

I hope everyone is having a great spring so far. I know I'm definitely enjoying the warmer weather!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”