Queer and Trans*: Grindr, Scruff, and mooorrreeeee Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

Sexiest Celeb

Guillermo Diaz
13%
Guillermo Diaz
13%
Guillermo Diaz
13%
Matt Bomer
No votes
Matt Bomer
No votes
Matt Bomer
No votes
Michael B Jordan
9%
Michael B Jordan
9%
Michael B Jordan
9%
Joseph Gordon-Levitt
7%
Joseph Gordon-Levitt
7%
Joseph Gordon-Levitt
7%
Chris Evans
4%
Chris Evans
4%
Chris Evans
4%
Jake Gyllenhaal
No votes
Jake Gyllenhaal
No votes
Jake Gyllenhaal
No votes
Frank Ocean
No votes

Total votes: 45

cricketlove00

Silver

Re: Queer and Trans*: Grindr, Scruff, and mooorrreeeee

Post by cricketlove00 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:28 pm

You're welcome

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:33 pm

I like gifs, but remember boys...

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:35 pm

Well okay then Image

UCLAHopeful2014

Bronze

Post by UCLAHopeful2014 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:03 am

Why can't i post pics?!

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:44 am

UCLAHopeful2014 wrote:Why can't i post pics?!
You need 100 posts.

UCLAHopeful2014

Bronze

Post by UCLAHopeful2014 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:46 am

scottidsntknow wrote:
You need 100 posts.
:O

Better get to work

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:19 pm

UCLAHopeful2014 wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:
You need 100 posts.

Better get to work
That's where I got most of my posts from, too!

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:25 pm

UCLAHopeful2014 wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:
You need 100 posts.

Better get to work
TLS class of 2017 ftw.

UCLAHopeful2014

Bronze

Post by UCLAHopeful2014 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:57 pm

So I need help making a decision. :D
UVa offered me 25k/year, Cornell offered 20k/year and USC offered 50k/year. Where do I go? My interest is in social advocacy, and eventually I would like to move to California. BUT USC scares me because of the employment prospects. UVa makes me hesitant because of the lack of diversity. Cornell is in Ithaca. :P

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:01 pm

UCLAHopeful2014 wrote:So I need help making a decision. :D
UVa offered me 25k/year, Cornell offered 20k/year and USC offered 50k/year. Where do I go? My interest is in social advocacy, and eventually I would like to move to California. BUT USC scares me because of the employment prospects. UVa makes me hesitant because of the lack of diversity. Cornell is in Ithaca. :P
Personally I'd take USC out and focus on Cornell and UVA. Which school has the better LRAP? Are you ok with working in NYC? Are you really committed to social advocacy or do you think there's a chance you'll jump on the biglaw ship if it's available?

UCLAHopeful2014

Bronze

Post by UCLAHopeful2014 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:20 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
UCLAHopeful2014 wrote:So I need help making a decision. :D
Personally I'd take USC out and focus on Cornell and UVA. Which school has the better LRAP? Are you ok with working in NYC? Are you really committed to social advocacy or do you think there's a chance you'll jump on the biglaw ship if it's available?
Out of curiosity, why would you discard USC?
I love NYC, but it is so expensive to live there!!! Wouldn't mind it for a few years. I would probably hate myself if I jumped on the big law bandwagon.
Cornell's LRAP has a lower max income, I think because they do things a little differently it is about $45k. UVa's max income is $55k. Also, doesn't UVa have better prospects?

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:22 pm

If you want to move to California and have your first job there, then USC.

If you're content working somewhere and maybe perhaps ending up in California then that's different. I wouldn't worry so much about the place you're going to law school because 1) it's for 3 years and 2) you won't have tons of time.

That being said, which school would give you more opportunities for social advocacy? I think you may want to look at externships and clinics and compare because it doesn't seem like costs is that different.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:26 pm

cricketlove00 wrote:If you want to move to California and have your first job there, then USC.

If you're content working somewhere and maybe perhaps ending up in California then that's different. I wouldn't worry so much about the place you're going to law school because 1) it's for 3 years and 2) you won't have tons of time.

That being said, which school would give you more opportunities for social advocacy? I think you may want to look at externships and clinics and compare because it doesn't seem like costs is that different.
Yea, I said discard USC since it didn't sound like Cali was a very concrete goal, and personally I'd take the better job prospects at UVA/Cornell. And also I'd just go with UVA personally.

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:30 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:If you want to move to California and have your first job there, then USC.

Yea, I said discard USC since it didn't sound like Cali was a very concrete goal, and personally I'd take the better job prospects at UVA/Cornell. And also I'd just go with UVA personally.
And I would go with Cornell hah. It's a toughie.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:33 pm

cricketlove00 wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:

You would spend 15k more (plus probably more since I think Cornell is more expensive anyways) for Cornell, over UVA? For what reason?

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:36 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:

You would spend 15k more (plus probably more since I think Cornell is more expensive anyways) for Cornell, over UVA? For what reason?
Prestige whore

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:43 pm

I should not joke around though because it is a serious decision. I personally like Cornell more and I think marginally you would have a better shot at ending up in California. I don't know what your financial situation is like, and I don't know how debt-averse you are, but I guess you just have to think about where you want to end up.

UVA is probably the more practical choice but, and I know most TLSers don't share this sentiment, you're only going to do this once. Personally I like Cornell more and I would probably selfishly pick it.

Edited to add: I like Ithaca more, I like Cornell more. I would rather pay the extra and be happier (especially if you plan on LRAP) but that is totally personal.

UCLAHopeful2014

Bronze

Post by UCLAHopeful2014 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:15 pm

cricketlove00 wrote:I should not joke around though because it is a serious decision. I personally like Cornell more and I think marginally you would have a better shot at ending up in California. I don't know what your financial situation is like, and I don't know how debt-averse you are, but I guess you just have to think about where you want to end up.

UVA is probably the more practical choice but, and I know most TLSers don't share this sentiment, you're only going to do this once. Personally I like Cornell more and I would probably selfishly pick it.

Edited to add: I like Ithaca more, I like Cornell more. I would rather pay the extra and be happier (especially if you plan on LRAP) but that is totally personal.
Thanks for al the infoooooooooooooooooooooooo! :D I think Cornell would be nice but I do not like the idea of living in Ithaca for 3 years, especially with limited means of transportation. At least in CVille I can catch a train to DC easily and for a fair price. UVa's LRAP is better (I think). I have 0 $$$, so I worry about debt, but unless I get a full ride somewhere I am going to have mounds and mounds of debt for a few years.

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:27 pm

Sounds like it's UVA for you!

Also congrats on 100 posts :)

UCLAHopeful2014

Bronze

Post by UCLAHopeful2014 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:54 am

cricketlove00 wrote:Sounds like it's UVA for you!

Thanks! No longer a nooooob.

You made a final decision?

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:09 am

UCLAHopeful2014 wrote:

He's going to ~Wake Forest~ duh.

UCLAHopeful2014

Bronze

Post by UCLAHopeful2014 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:49 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
UCLAHopeful2014 wrote:

He's going to ~Wake Forest~ duh.
Oh, didn't know he had decided on that! What about you?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”