Is it possible?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
ManoftheHour

Re: Is it possible?

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:34 pm

Why don't you put in your deposit for Duke and sign up for the June LSAT? If you do well, sit out a cycle and enjoy HYSCCN or MVP with $$$. Or use your new score to negotiate for $$$ with Duke. If you don't do well, then go to Duke.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:40 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:Why don't you put in your deposit for Duke and sign up for the June LSAT? If you do well, sit out a cycle and enjoy HYSCCN or MVP with $$$. Or use your new score to negotiate for $$$ with Duke. If you don't do well, then go to Duke.

yes, do this. although i would say if you improve at all you should wait until next cycle and take a third lsat. it takes a lot of work to go <150 to >165 but it's doable.

the benefits of a good lsat score would be outrageous for you. hysccn for free is orders of magnitude better than duke at sticker. if you've worked as hard as you presumably have to make it this far it's crazy to give up hundreds of thousands of dollars in potential benefit just because of a bad test score.

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:15 am

I agree with the other posters. Do NOT retake. Take the Duke acceptance and run. Lightning will not strike twice.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:53 am

newyorker88 wrote:I agree with the other posters. Do NOT retake. Take the Duke acceptance and run. Lightning will not strike twice.

This is TTT, bro.

Wtf...he can do both. Did you not read my post? Deposit at Duke and retake in June. If he scores high, sit out and HYS, baby. If he gets a 120, who gives a s@#$. Take Duke and run. He's already deposited. They're not going to rescind his acceptance.

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:11 am

ManoftheHour wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:I agree with the other posters. Do NOT retake. Take the Duke acceptance and run. Lightning will not strike twice.

This is TTT, bro.

Wtf...he can do both. Did you not read my post? Deposit at Duke and retake in June. If he scores high, sit out and HYS, baby. If he gets a 120, who gives a s@#$. Take Duke and run. He's already deposited. They're not going to rescind his acceptance.

TCR

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:12 am

ManoftheHour wrote:

This is TTT, bro.

but that might tarnish his shine

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:14 am

I agree with MotH/Pato. OP may as well swing for the fences.

jacketyellow

Postby jacketyellow » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:47 pm

Dinged at Harvard as everyone said today. Thanks.

femmefatale

Postby femmefatale » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:34 pm

Wow! Congratulations! That's amazing.

Black_Swan

Postby Black_Swan » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:06 pm

jacketyellow wrote:Dinged at Harvard as everyone said today. Thanks.

Sorry to hear that! Did not know they were working today!

Black_Swan

Postby Black_Swan » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:09 pm

ThePiedPiper wrote:
jacketyellow wrote:Is it still possible to get into Harvard Law? I have already had a staggering cycle with acceptances from George Washington, Duke, and Howard.

GPA: 3.72
LSAT: 148

Normal softs with one good one: I'm in TFA.

Any other schools in the T-14 I may be competitive at as an AA male URM?

Waow! OP do u mind sharing when u applied? I have been wondering how much early/late application hurts urm, if at all.

ChuggaChuggaChooChoo

Postby ChuggaChuggaChooChoo » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:17 pm

patogordo wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:Why don't you put in your deposit for Duke and sign up for the June LSAT? If you do well, sit out a cycle and enjoy HYSCCN or MVP with $$$. Or use your new score to negotiate for $$$ with Duke. If you don't do well, then go to Duke.

yes, do this. although i would say if you improve at all you should wait until next cycle and take a third lsat. it takes a lot of work to go <150 to >165 but it's doable.

the benefits of a good lsat score would be outrageous for you. hysccn for free is orders of magnitude better than duke at sticker. if you've worked as hard as you presumably have to make it this far it's crazy to give up hundreds of thousands of dollars in potential benefit just because of a bad test score.

^This for the win

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:45 pm

patogordo wrote:
90convoy wrote:Depending on how much you studied you should retake. You could be at CCN for almost free bud

or HYS for free if his family still has limited income. but don't mind me i'm just a hater.

Pretty sure there's a cap on need-based aid unless OP has kids

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:11 pm

Jeez.

Anything can happen.

I think OP should probably retake and deposit at Duke.

jacketyellow

Postby jacketyellow » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:52 pm

I was held today at Northwestern. Thoughts on this?

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:38 pm

I'll apologize in advance for the callous nature of this post, but am I the only one that has trouble believing OP?

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:48 pm

patogordo wrote:
californiauser wrote:retake

I wouldn't want to be competing with 170 LSAT scorers if I could only score in the 140s

studying for the lsat, on the other hand, will turn OP into a genius law student

That's strawmanish. It will help. Statutes are really formal logic statements. If you can't apply a contrapositive to a fact pattern (which I'm assuming a 148 can't), or recognize what facts in cases are necessary or sufficient -> it will be hard to do very well against a group of 170 students. Getting better at critical reading, processing speed, logic, etc. will all benefit OP in law school. Also, as an AA the OP doesn't have to be top quarter to get a good job. He just has to stay away from the bottom of the curve, and ideally be in short distance of median. With a 148 OP would be predicted by a Vegas betting spread to be at the bottom of a t-14 curve. Contrarily, an AA with a 158 or 160 would not be far enough removed from the rest of the data points to have any kind of strong prediction of how s/he'd do on a 168 curve. This is just from studying the data released by LSAC on how LSAT correlates with 1L GPA. I don't intend to start any discussion on admissions and hiring, but only provide information so that future applicants in OP's discussion can reference it, and make the best decision for them.

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:57 pm

PepperJack wrote:
patogordo wrote:
californiauser wrote:retake

I wouldn't want to be competing with 170 LSAT scorers if I could only score in the 140s

studying for the lsat, on the other hand, will turn OP into a genius law student

That's strawmanish. It will help. Statutes are really formal logic statements. If you can't apply a contrapositive to a fact pattern (which I'm assuming a 148 can't), or recognize what facts in cases are necessary or sufficient -> it will be hard to do very well against a group of 170 students. Getting better at critical reading, processing speed, logic, etc. will all benefit OP in law school. Also, as an AA the OP doesn't have to be top quarter to get a good job. He just has to stay away from the bottom of the curve, and ideally be in short distance of median. With a 148 OP would be predicted by a Vegas betting spread to be at the bottom of a t-14 curve. Contrarily, an AA with a 158 or 160 would not be far enough removed from the rest of the data points to have any kind of strong prediction of how s/he'd do on a 168 curve. This is just from studying the data released by LSAC on how LSAT correlates with 1L GPA. I don't intend to start any discussion on admissions and hiring, but only provide information so that future applicants in OP's discussion can reference it, and make the best decision for them.

All of this assumes OP actually got a 148.

jacketyellow

Postby jacketyellow » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:35 pm

El Principe wrote:I'll apologize in advance for the callous nature of this post, but am I the only one that has trouble believing OP?

You can believe what you will, but this is really happening to me. And, I need help. I was held, and I don't really know what that means. Plus, I would have thought I would have been rejected from NU but I wasn't. This is a crazy cycle for me.

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:50 am

jacketyellow wrote:
El Principe wrote:I'll apologize in advance for the callous nature of this post, but am I the only one that has trouble believing OP?

You can believe what you will, but this is really happening to me. And, I need help. I was held, and I don't really know what that means. Plus, I would have thought I would have been rejected from NU but I wasn't. This is a crazy cycle for me.

Held is essentially a de facto wait-list, but it's unique in the sense that you will generally hear back before wait-list decisions are made because the school wants to get a sense of how the class is shaping up before making a decision about you.

For example, a held candidate's apps will be piled up with the rest until a certain point in time where the adcomms will re-review the apps and either accept you, deny you, or wait-list you.

Wait-list just means that you might receive a decision at any point between now and whatever their cutoff date is (usually August).

Being held is better than being wait-listed.

jacketyellow

Postby jacketyellow » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:45 am

El Principe wrote:
jacketyellow wrote:

Held is essentially a de facto wait-list, but it's unique in the sense that you will generally hear back before wait-list decisions are made because the school wants to get a sense of how the class is shaping up before making a decision about you.

For example, a held candidate's apps will be piled up with the rest until a certain point in time where the adcomms will re-review the apps and either accept you, deny you, or wait-list you.

Wait-list just means that you might receive a decision at any point between now and whatever their cutoff date is (usually August).

Being held is better than being wait-listed.

Thanks.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”