Is it possible? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
jacketyellow

Bronze

Is it possible?

Post by jacketyellow » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:20 am

Last edited by jacketyellow on Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bombaysippin

Gold

Re: Is it possible?

Post by bombaysippin » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:29 am

You got into duke with a 148 and normal softs? Congrats.

I don't think you have any shot at Harvard though and I would say no real shot at other T-14s unless you raise your LSAT, but you got into duke so who knows.

jacketyellow

Bronze

Post by jacketyellow » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:33 am

Yes, I was as surprised as you were. I was even surprised by George Washington, but should I have been?
Last edited by jacketyellow on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PepperJack

Silver

Post by PepperJack » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:37 am

You should still retake. Idk if attending a t-14 with a 148 is doing you favors in the long run.

John Everyman

Silver

Post by John Everyman » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:39 am

jacketyellow wrote:
Bajam wrote:You got into duke with a 148 and normal softs? Congrats.

I don't think you have any shot at Harvard though and I would say no real shot at other T-14s unless you raise your LSAT, but you got into duke so who knows.
Yes, I was as surprised as you were. I was even surprised by George Washington, but should I have been?
Yes, you should be surprised. You essentially got a 20 point bump for your URM status. That is by far the highest I've ever seen. Take the offer and run. I definitely wouldn't sit out this cycle as you are very unlikely to see similar results next cycle.

Edit: Take the Duke offer, not the GW one. I'm still surprised about the GW one as well, but GW vs. Duke is a no brainer.

ThePiedPiper

Bronze

Post by ThePiedPiper » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:19 pm

jacketyellow wrote:Is it still possible to get into Harvard Law? I have already had a staggering cycle with acceptances from George Washington, Duke, and Howard.

GPA: 3.72
LSAT: 148

Normal softs with one good one: I'm in TFA.

Any other schools in the T-14 I may be competitive at as an AA male URM?
First congrats on the Duke acceptance!!! That is a big deal!!! I would not retake like the other poster has said because you have already solidified your greatness by obtaining a T14 acceptance and you should be proud of that accomplishment alone. I am not sure if you would get Harvard since I am not on the addcom. But if you don't get into Harvard you already have 3 good choices at hand. Good luck.

Durkheim

New

Post by Durkheim » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:24 pm

You mean this isn't a troll? Wow. Did you have massive diversity PS? URM notwithstanding, of course.

jacketyellow

Bronze

Post by jacketyellow » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:32 pm

Durkheim wrote:You mean this isn't a troll? Wow. Did you have massive diversity PS? URM notwithstanding, of course.
No, not a troll. I had a diversity statement about my mom, living in the ghetto, and being poor growing up. My personal statement dealt with teaching and dealing with minority children from a depressed community.

jacketyellow

Bronze

Post by jacketyellow » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:34 pm

Thanks, I appreciate it.
Last edited by jacketyellow on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:40 pm

"solidified your greatness" lol

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:43 pm

jacketyellow wrote:Is it still possible to get into Harvard Law? I have already had a staggering cycle with acceptances from George Washington, Duke, and Howard.

GPA: 3.72
LSAT: 148

Normal softs with one good one: I'm in TFA.

Any other schools in the T-14 I may be competitive at as an AA male URM?
Amazing acceptances!! Take Duke and run, unless GW gives you a substantial scholarship.

Congrats!!!!!

Kool-Aid

Bronze

Post by Kool-Aid » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:45 pm

First of all, congrats on Duke! However, I disagree about whether you should retake or not. You have a solid GPA, and with a bump in that LSAT H would be in play. Deposit at Duke, study like hell, retake in June, and see what happens!

Good luck either way

Durkheim

New

Post by Durkheim » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:46 pm

jacketyellow wrote:
Durkheim wrote:You mean this isn't a troll? Wow. Did you have massive diversity PS? URM notwithstanding, of course.
No, not a troll. I had a diversity statement about my mom, living in the ghetto, and being poor growing up. My personal statement dealt with teaching and dealing with minority children from a depressed community.
That's astounding. Congratulations, Jacketyellow! I'll echo others in suggesting that you jump on the Duke offer. I've never seen this kind of URM bump. You may not see it next year.

To what area of law do you aspire?

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:48 pm

John Everyman wrote:
jacketyellow wrote:
Bajam wrote:You got into duke with a 148 and normal softs? Congrats.

Yes, you should be surprised. You essentially got a 20 point bump for your URM status. That is by far the highest I've ever seen. Take the offer and run. I definitely wouldn't sit out this cycle as you are very unlikely to see similar results next cycle.

Edit: Take the Duke offer, not the GW one. I'm still surprised about the GW one as well, but GW vs. Duke is a no brainer.
He also gets a bump for TFA. You don't know what is happening next cycle.

OP : you might consider posting in the mike spivey thread of former admissions officers. You obviously are a special candidate. They may be able to advise you better than the rest of us.

Congrats.

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:50 pm

retake

I wouldn't want to be competing with 170 LSAT scorers if I could only score in the 140s

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:52 pm

californiauser wrote:retake

I wouldn't want to be competing with 170 LSAT scorers if I could only score in the 140s
studying for the lsat, on the other hand, will turn OP into a genius law student

ThePiedPiper

Bronze

Post by ThePiedPiper » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:56 pm

patogordo wrote:"solidified your greatness" lol
I take you as a Duke reject. Either way what I said to OP I meant. Go do something productive with you life besides trying to be an internet thug. Because its not becoming nor is it particularly needed. In fact its quite beneath you if you are in fact applying to law school. Go do something productive with you life. These threads are meant to help people not bring them down.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:58 pm

ThePiedPiper wrote:
I take you as a Duke reject. Either way what I said to OP I meant. Go do something productive with you life besides trying to be an internet thug. Because its not becoming nor is it particularly needed. In fact its quite beneath you if you are in fact applying to law school. Go do something productive with you life. These threads are meant to help people not bring them down.
i am technically a duke reject, so you got me there. but i was making fun of you, not OP. i'm actually quite impressed by him.

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:02 pm

ThePiedPiper wrote:
+1.

Also, the dude is a sh*tpoaster on here. Ignore.

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:03 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:
+1.

shitposter? très intéressant, please go on

Durkheim

New

Post by Durkheim » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:04 pm

californiauser wrote:retake

Remember those words when your Con Law class covers DPC. Grutter v. Bollinger. You're gonna love Justice Thomas.

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:05 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:
+1.

shitposter? très intéressant, please go on
Neither the place nor time.

OP, please be sure to add details on your cycle on the URM In/Out/WL thread. Thanks!

90convoy

Silver

Post by 90convoy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:11 pm

Depending on how much you studied you should retake. You could be at CCN for almost free bud

ThePiedPiper

Bronze

Post by ThePiedPiper » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:12 pm

patogordo wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:
i am technically a duke reject, so you got me there. but i was making fun of you, not OP. i'm actually quite impressed by him.
I know you were making fun of me that is why I shut you down before you could even get started on your irrelevant rant. I refuse to give you anymore internet fame which it shows you so desperately seek. I said OP was solidified by his greatness because of his GPA, his TFA involvement, probably his impeccable writing skills that Duke decided to take a chance on him. Some people are just not good at timed standardized test. That does not mean he is not smart and cannot excel because of a one day test. And with that said I am done speaking to you because its taking away from the shine OP should be getting. Again Congrats OP on your choices.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:28 pm

90convoy wrote:Depending on how much you studied you should retake. You could be at CCN for almost free bud
or HYS for free if his family still has limited income. but don't mind me i'm just a hater.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”