Is it possible?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
jacketyellow
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:51 pm

Is it possible?

Postby jacketyellow » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:20 am

.
Last edited by jacketyellow on Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bombaysippin
Posts: 1977
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: Is it possible?

Postby bombaysippin » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:29 am

You got into duke with a 148 and normal softs? Congrats.

I don't think you have any shot at Harvard though and I would say no real shot at other T-14s unless you raise your LSAT, but you got into duke so who knows.

jacketyellow
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:51 pm

Re: Is it possible?

Postby jacketyellow » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:33 am

Yes, I was as surprised as you were. I was even surprised by George Washington, but should I have been?
Last edited by jacketyellow on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
PepperJack
Posts: 646
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:23 pm

Re: Is it possible?

Postby PepperJack » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:37 am

You should still retake. Idk if attending a t-14 with a 148 is doing you favors in the long run.

User avatar
John Everyman
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:20 pm

Re: Is it possible?

Postby John Everyman » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:39 am

jacketyellow wrote:
Bajam wrote:You got into duke with a 148 and normal softs? Congrats.

I don't think you have any shot at Harvard though and I would say no real shot at other T-14s unless you raise your LSAT, but you got into duke so who knows.


Yes, I was as surprised as you were. I was even surprised by George Washington, but should I have been?


Yes, you should be surprised. You essentially got a 20 point bump for your URM status. That is by far the highest I've ever seen. Take the offer and run. I definitely wouldn't sit out this cycle as you are very unlikely to see similar results next cycle.

Edit: Take the Duke offer, not the GW one. I'm still surprised about the GW one as well, but GW vs. Duke is a no brainer.

User avatar
ThePiedPiper
Posts: 469
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:50 pm

Re: Is it possible?

Postby ThePiedPiper » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:19 pm

jacketyellow wrote:Is it still possible to get into Harvard Law? I have already had a staggering cycle with acceptances from George Washington, Duke, and Howard.


GPA: 3.72
LSAT: 148

Normal softs with one good one: I'm in TFA.

Any other schools in the T-14 I may be competitive at as an AA male URM?


First congrats on the Duke acceptance!!! That is a big deal!!! I would not retake like the other poster has said because you have already solidified your greatness by obtaining a T14 acceptance and you should be proud of that accomplishment alone. I am not sure if you would get Harvard since I am not on the addcom. But if you don't get into Harvard you already have 3 good choices at hand. Good luck.

Durkheim
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:37 pm

Re: Is it possible?

Postby Durkheim » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:24 pm

You mean this isn't a troll? Wow. Did you have massive diversity PS? URM notwithstanding, of course.

jacketyellow
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:51 pm

Re: Is it possible?

Postby jacketyellow » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:32 pm

Durkheim wrote:You mean this isn't a troll? Wow. Did you have massive diversity PS? URM notwithstanding, of course.


No, not a troll. I had a diversity statement about my mom, living in the ghetto, and being poor growing up. My personal statement dealt with teaching and dealing with minority children from a depressed community.

jacketyellow
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:51 pm

Re: Is it possible?

Postby jacketyellow » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:34 pm

Thanks, I appreciate it.
Last edited by jacketyellow on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
patogordo
Posts: 4827
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:33 am

Re: Is it possible?

Postby patogordo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:40 pm

"solidified your greatness" lol

User avatar
AAJD2B
Posts: 871
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:37 am

Re: Is it possible?

Postby AAJD2B » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:43 pm

jacketyellow wrote:Is it still possible to get into Harvard Law? I have already had a staggering cycle with acceptances from George Washington, Duke, and Howard.


GPA: 3.72
LSAT: 148

Normal softs with one good one: I'm in TFA.

Any other schools in the T-14 I may be competitive at as an AA male URM?


Amazing acceptances!! Take Duke and run, unless GW gives you a substantial scholarship.

Congrats!!!!!

Kool-Aid
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:13 am

Re: Is it possible?

Postby Kool-Aid » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:45 pm

First of all, congrats on Duke! However, I disagree about whether you should retake or not. You have a solid GPA, and with a bump in that LSAT H would be in play. Deposit at Duke, study like hell, retake in June, and see what happens!

Good luck either way

Durkheim
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:37 pm

Re: Is it possible?

Postby Durkheim » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:46 pm

jacketyellow wrote:
Durkheim wrote:You mean this isn't a troll? Wow. Did you have massive diversity PS? URM notwithstanding, of course.


No, not a troll. I had a diversity statement about my mom, living in the ghetto, and being poor growing up. My personal statement dealt with teaching and dealing with minority children from a depressed community.


That's astounding. Congratulations, Jacketyellow! I'll echo others in suggesting that you jump on the Duke offer. I've never seen this kind of URM bump. You may not see it next year.

To what area of law do you aspire?

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: Is it possible?

Postby NYstate » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:48 pm

John Everyman wrote:
jacketyellow wrote:
Bajam wrote:You got into duke with a 148 and normal softs? Congrats.

I don't think you have any shot at Harvard though and I would say no real shot at other T-14s unless you raise your LSAT, but you got into duke so who knows.


Yes, I was as surprised as you were. I was even surprised by George Washington, but should I have been?


Yes, you should be surprised. You essentially got a 20 point bump for your URM status. That is by far the highest I've ever seen. Take the offer and run. I definitely wouldn't sit out this cycle as you are very unlikely to see similar results next cycle.

Edit: Take the Duke offer, not the GW one. I'm still surprised about the GW one as well, but GW vs. Duke is a no brainer.


He also gets a bump for TFA. You don't know what is happening next cycle.

OP : you might consider posting in the mike spivey thread of former admissions officers. You obviously are a special candidate. They may be able to advise you better than the rest of us.

Congrats.

californiauser
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Is it possible?

Postby californiauser » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:50 pm

retake

I wouldn't want to be competing with 170 LSAT scorers if I could only score in the 140s

User avatar
patogordo
Posts: 4827
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:33 am

Re: Is it possible?

Postby patogordo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:52 pm

californiauser wrote:retake

I wouldn't want to be competing with 170 LSAT scorers if I could only score in the 140s

studying for the lsat, on the other hand, will turn OP into a genius law student

User avatar
ThePiedPiper
Posts: 469
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:50 pm

Re: Is it possible?

Postby ThePiedPiper » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:56 pm

patogordo wrote:"solidified your greatness" lol


I take you as a Duke reject. Either way what I said to OP I meant. Go do something productive with you life besides trying to be an internet thug. Because its not becoming nor is it particularly needed. In fact its quite beneath you if you are in fact applying to law school. Go do something productive with you life. These threads are meant to help people not bring them down.

User avatar
patogordo
Posts: 4827
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:33 am

Re: Is it possible?

Postby patogordo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:58 pm

ThePiedPiper wrote:
patogordo wrote:"solidified your greatness" lol


I take you as a Duke reject. Either way what I said to OP I meant. Go do something productive with you life besides trying to be an internet thug. Because its not becoming nor is it particularly needed. In fact its quite beneath you if you are in fact applying to law school. Go do something productive with you life. These threads are meant to help people not bring them down.

i am technically a duke reject, so you got me there. but i was making fun of you, not OP. i'm actually quite impressed by him.

User avatar
AAJD2B
Posts: 871
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:37 am

Re: Is it possible?

Postby AAJD2B » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:02 pm

ThePiedPiper wrote:
patogordo wrote:"solidified your greatness" lol


I take you as a Duke reject. Either way what I said to OP I meant. Go do something productive with you life besides trying to be an internet thug. Because its not becoming nor is it particularly needed. In fact its quite beneath you if you are in fact applying to law school. Go do something productive with you life. These threads are meant to help people not bring them down.


+1.

Also, the dude is a sh*tpoaster on here. Ignore.

User avatar
mephistopheles
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Re: Is it possible?

Postby mephistopheles » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:03 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:
patogordo wrote:"solidified your greatness" lol


I take you as a Duke reject. Either way what I said to OP I meant. Go do something productive with you life besides trying to be an internet thug. Because its not becoming nor is it particularly needed. In fact its quite beneath you if you are in fact applying to law school. Go do something productive with you life. These threads are meant to help people not bring them down.


+1.

Also, the dude is a sh*tpoaster on here. Ignore.



shitposter? très intéressant, please go on

Durkheim
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:37 pm

Re: Is it possible?

Postby Durkheim » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:04 pm

californiauser wrote:retake

I wouldn't want to be competing with 170 LSAT scorers if I could only score in the 140s


Remember those words when your Con Law class covers DPC. Grutter v. Bollinger. You're gonna love Justice Thomas.

User avatar
AAJD2B
Posts: 871
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:37 am

Re: Is it possible?

Postby AAJD2B » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:05 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:
patogordo wrote:"solidified your greatness" lol


I take you as a Duke reject. Either way what I said to OP I meant. Go do something productive with you life besides trying to be an internet thug. Because its not becoming nor is it particularly needed. In fact its quite beneath you if you are in fact applying to law school. Go do something productive with you life. These threads are meant to help people not bring them down.


+1.

Also, the dude is a sh*tpoaster on here. Ignore.



shitposter? très intéressant, please go on


Neither the place nor time.

OP, please be sure to add details on your cycle on the URM In/Out/WL thread. Thanks!

User avatar
90convoy
Posts: 918
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Re: Is it possible?

Postby 90convoy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:11 pm

Depending on how much you studied you should retake. You could be at CCN for almost free bud

User avatar
ThePiedPiper
Posts: 469
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:50 pm

Re: Is it possible?

Postby ThePiedPiper » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:12 pm

patogordo wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:
patogordo wrote:"solidified your greatness" lol


I take you as a Duke reject. Either way what I said to OP I meant. Go do something productive with you life besides trying to be an internet thug. Because its not becoming nor is it particularly needed. In fact its quite beneath you if you are in fact applying to law school. Go do something productive with you life. These threads are meant to help people not bring them down.

i am technically a duke reject, so you got me there. but i was making fun of you, not OP. i'm actually quite impressed by him.


I know you were making fun of me that is why I shut you down before you could even get started on your irrelevant rant. I refuse to give you anymore internet fame which it shows you so desperately seek. I said OP was solidified by his greatness because of his GPA, his TFA involvement, probably his impeccable writing skills that Duke decided to take a chance on him. Some people are just not good at timed standardized test. That does not mean he is not smart and cannot excel because of a one day test. And with that said I am done speaking to you because its taking away from the shine OP should be getting. Again Congrats OP on your choices.

User avatar
patogordo
Posts: 4827
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:33 am

Re: Is it possible?

Postby patogordo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:28 pm

90convoy wrote:Depending on how much you studied you should retake. You could be at CCN for almost free bud

or HYS for free if his family still has limited income. but don't mind me i'm just a hater.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests