T30 law school for $15k per year?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)

T30 law school for $15k per year?

Postby flat-fifth » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:48 am

IU Bloomington has offered me a scholarship that will make annual tuition be about $15k. I'm not completely sure where I want to practice but I'm sure that I want a solid legal education. I'm still waiting for a lot of decisions, but doesn't this make IUB worth consideration?

Re: T30 law school for $15k per year?

Postby twenty » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:52 am

Tuition at 15k a year, or COA at 15k a year?

Postby eastcoast_iub » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:37 pm

I took a similar scholarship at IU my 1L year (mine was $40k instead of $30k). If you want BigLaw (with the possible exception of being an Indiana native and you want to practice in Indy), don't go to IU thinking you're going to get it, they punch well below their weight compared to their ranking. Especially on the East Coast, their presence in NY is non-existent (they have a small presence in DC).

You will get a good education there - the professors are great. So if you don't want BigLaw, go for it - the scholarship and low COA makes it totally worthwhile.

I ended up transferring out, but that will be only be realistic for you if you're in the top 15% and you never want to go to law school banking on transferring, it's very competitive. B/c of all the scholarships they give out, the students there are legit competition.

Postby Nova » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:08 am

the price is pretty good for a decent school, but I don't think it would be a good move without ties to Indiana and a desire to work in Indiana.

ignore usnwr

go by lst

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”