Half AA/ half pakistani

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Mojosodope

Re: Half AA/ half pakistani

Postby Mojosodope » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:43 pm

that's the dumbest thing I have ever read, being raised by someone doesn't determine anything. Race is determined by common physical and genetic characteristics, what kind of characteristics does he have?

i'm done with this thread tho its time to start my saturday.

OP answer the question the same way as you always do, for undergrad, jobs, etc.

ThePiedPiper

Postby ThePiedPiper » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:50 pm

OP just check both boxes. I don't see what the whole big debate is about. Honestly, if you want to get technical about the whole ordeal no one who was born within American society who traces their ancestry well into the slavery trade is 100 percent anything. And by American Law anyway if you have any drop of African American blood you are considered Black within society. Plus it doesn't seem as if OP is trying to get a boost just clarification. However, I do agree if you haven't fully disclosed yourself as African American in the past you should not do it now. As you could receive backlash for it later. Good luck on your cycle.

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:51 pm

lastminuteuser wrote:NO ONE DENIES THAT HE IDENTIFIES A BLACK. The point is "Your race is your race, regardless of what you "identify" as"

I actually have a random hypo about this (just a thought): if you are white (or some other race) but are the adopted member of a tribe (as people on TLS like to call it, 'card carrying') what box would you check? clearly this hypo person identifies as Native American and is legally Native American but is 0% Native American, racially.

Not sure of the answer to this hypo and if it has any relevance to the idea that "your race is your race, regardless of what you "identify" as"[/quote]

Maybe it's not he most important thing, but it totally does matter what OP (or anyone) genuinely identifies as, which would be informed by his/her experiences living in America. What else matters more than that? Genes? Should schools get DNA analysis of every AA before they give them a boost to determine exact % African origin? I think most AAs would be surprised by their results. Clearly, it's their experiences and their ancestors' experiences in America (namely, experiences with prejudice and discrimination) that matter to schools. But I might be wrong. Maybe they don't give a shit and just want some non-white colors scattered here and there so the school doesn't look too much like a country club.

edit: fucked up the quote baaad.

Anyway. I'm with the other dude. Done with this thread.

indo

Postby indo » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:01 pm

ThePiedPiper wrote:OP just check both boxes. I don't see what the whole big debate is about. Honestly, if you want to get technical about the whole ordeal no one who was born within American society who traces their ancestry well into the slavery trade is 100 percent anything. And by American Law anyway if you have any drop of African American blood you are considered Black within society. Plus it doesn't seem as if OP is trying to get a boost just clarification. However, I do agree if you haven't fully disclosed yourself as African American in the past you should not do it now. As you could receive backlash for it later. Good luck on your cycle.

+ 1

daryldixon

Postby daryldixon » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:13 pm

Balthy wrote:
lastminuteuser wrote:NO ONE DENIES THAT HE IDENTIFIES A BLACK. The point is "Your race is your race, regardless of what you "identify" as"

I actually have a random hypo about this (just a thought): if you are white (or some other race) but are the adopted member of a tribe (as people on TLS like to call it, 'card carrying') what box would you check? clearly this hypo person identifies as Native American and is legally Native American but is 0% Native American, racially.

Not sure of the answer to this hypo and if it has any relevance to the idea that "your race is your race, regardless of what you "identify" as"

Maybe it's not he most important thing, but it totally does matter what OP (or anyone) genuinely identifies as, which would be informed by his/her experiences living in America. What else matters more than that? Genes? Should schools get DNA analysis of every AA before they give them a boost to determine exact % African origin? I think most AAs would be surprised by their results. Clearly, it's their experiences and their ancestors' experiences in America (namely, experiences with prejudice and discrimination) that matter to schools. But I might be wrong. Maybe they don't give a shit and just want some non-white colors scattered here and there so the school doesn't look too much like a country club.

edit: fucked up the quote baaad.

Anyway. I'm with the other dude. Done with this thread.

You can mark whatever box you like but it won't help admissions unless you have a tribal ID card.

And in 99% of NA tribes you need a blood quantum (minimum percentage of native ancestry) in order to qualify. Adoptees are SOL.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:49 pm

indo wrote:Barrack should have chose white because he was raised by his white grandmother but I DO NOT know what he chose.

What the FUCK? Being raised by a white person doesn't magically make you white.

And as to the NA adoption thing... not remotely an expert, but yes, many tribes have blood quantum requirements, which would complicate things for a non-Native adoptee. If a tribe does not have a blood quantum requirement, I see no reason someone who's adopted couldn't become a member of the tribe (it would depend entirely on the tribe's requirements, which they alone have the authority to set). In any case, the reason NAs get treated differently (in whatever context) is their political relationship with the US, as members of domestic dependent nations, not due to their race. (This is why Indian-preference in government hiring is legal. Morton v. Mancari.)

indo

Postby indo » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:05 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
indo wrote:Barrack should have chose white because he was raised by his white grandmother but I DO NOT know what he chose.

And as to the NA adoption thing... not remotely an expert, but yes, many tribes have blood quantum requirements, which would complicate things for a non-Native adoptee. If a tribe does not have a blood quantum requirement, I see no reason someone who's adopted couldn't become a member of the tribe (it would depend entirely on the tribe's requirements, which they alone have the authority to set). In any case, the reason NAs get treated differently (in whatever context) is their political relationship with the US, as members of domestic dependent nations, not due to their race. (This is why Indian-preference in government hiring is legal. Morton v. Mancari.)

I think you mom need to teach common courtesy by not saying an F word.
He is half white why he is black ? why he can NOT be white .

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:41 pm

indo wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

I think you mom need to teach common courtesy by not saying an F word.
He is half white why he is black ? why he can NOT be white .

You said he should choose white because he was raised by his white grandmother, not because he's half white. That argument is what's ridiculous. Whether he should/could identify as white because he's half-white is a completely different issue.

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:13 pm

Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:38 pm

runinthefront wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:that's the dumbest thing I have ever read, being raised by someone doesn't determine anything. Race is determined by common physical and genetic characteristics, what kind of characteristics does he have?

i'm done with this thread tho its time to start my saturday.

OP answer the question the same way as you always do, for undergrad, jobs, etc.

no

do you even know the definition of the word?

Ron Mexico

Postby Ron Mexico » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:42 pm

pakistani is asian?

KingJamesLBJ

Postby KingJamesLBJ » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:18 pm

OP name is a Pakistani dish, and everyone wants to yell "raised by black parent". ok ok lol some of these comments.

OP-Check both boxes

KingJamesLBJ

Postby KingJamesLBJ » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:20 pm

Ron Mexico wrote:pakistani is asian?

yes... so is Indian

kemosabe

Postby kemosabe » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:39 pm

KingJamesLBJ wrote:
Ron Mexico wrote:pakistani is asian?

yes... so is Indian

I believe both are Caucasian racially (save Dravidians and perhaps some close to Nepal), but Asian geographically. Then there is culture which is a whole separate can of worms.

Edit: I'm not sure of the LSAC classification, which I suppose is most germane to this discussion.

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:14 pm

KingJamesLBJ wrote:OP name is a Pakistani dish, and everyone wants to yell "raised by black parent". ok ok lol some of these comments.

OP-Check both boxes

You don't think black ppl can like chicken tikka? THAT'S RACIST!!!!!!!!!!

KingJamesLBJ

Postby KingJamesLBJ » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:26 pm

Balthy wrote:
KingJamesLBJ wrote:OP name is a Pakistani dish, and everyone wants to yell "raised by black parent". ok ok lol some of these comments.

OP-Check both boxes

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

--ImageRemoved--

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:43 pm

KingJamesLBJ wrote:
Balthy wrote:

OP-Check both boxes

--ImageRemoved--

LOL

chickentikka

Postby chickentikka » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:11 pm

didn't mean to incite a riot! Just asking. also to be clear, Chicken Tikka is Indian, not Pakistani, so settle the hell down.

Cocoblues

Postby Cocoblues » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:03 pm

KingJamesLBJ wrote:
Balthy wrote:

OP-Check both boxes

That gif just killed me! :lol:

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”