At a Crossroads: February vs. June

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)

Which date do you recommend?

February
No votes
June
100%

Total votes: 9

kjsmit02

At a Crossroads: February vs. June

Postby kjsmit02 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:53 am

I could really use some advice right now, especially as the February date is right around the corner. I am a recently graduated (May 2013) student from a top 60 university. I graduated with a 3.42 cumulative GPA and majored in political science. To be honest, I'm kind of in a quarter-life crisis. I am currently working part-time and have been unable to obtain full-time employment. It's because of this I feel like I need to get the ball rolling and go back to school, especially since the job market seems to remain stagnant. That, and I'm tired of living with my mom haha. I took the December LSAT and just didn't feel comfortable with my performance, so I canceled it. To be honest I probably wouldn't have taken it in December to begin with if it were not for the pressure my family has been putting on me to take it. Nonetheless, I am feeling this pressure once again to take the February test and start sending the applications that I have done up to this point. The problem is that I never really went hard after the December test, and realize that I need to get serious if I want any chance to excel on February. I am thinking of clearing my entire schedule until February and treating it as a full-time job, 9-5 studying until the test date. On the other hand, I'm also debating whether I should just wait until June and apply next cycle. I have a real problem with waiting another entire year, but I know my chances would be better with an earlier application entry. If I waited until June, I would enter as a 24 year old in fall 2015, which was to my surprise older than the class averages at a few reputable schools (does this really matter?). Either way, I'm tired of sitting on my hands. Also, I'm seeking acceptance into a top 30 school, and am unsure I would get in if I don't do well in February. All I have to go by up to this point are 6 total practice tests taken that I scored in the mid-150s. I have a total of 25 other PTs that I have yet to take, so I'm assuming I could do much better? I know I'm rambling, but I just don't know what to do!!! Can anyone weigh in on my predicament?

Nova

Re: At a Crossroads: February vs. June

Postby Nova » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:57 am

Your best bet is to retake in June and apply early. You haven't studied enough so you very likely wont be able to do your best by feb. Sitting on your hands sucks, but at least youll have plenty of time to study for your retake

cynthia rose

Re: At a Crossroads: February vs. June

Postby cynthia rose » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:18 am

Everything Nova said, plus 24 is hardly 'old.' Most K-JDs are 22-23, not really an appreciable difference in age there.

Stick to treating your studying like a regular job, just take a longer time to study and get your score up. And stop letting your family pressure you into rushing, law school is too big and expensive decision to make on the fly.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”