tribal community

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
ghostofdreams

tribal community

Postby ghostofdreams » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:56 am

So, I spoke to a UW grad and he said that being "isolated" was the biggest challenge he had to face at law school. Apparently there was a lack of a community with Native American students. That got me thinking, can I handle something like that, and is it important? I don't know that answer but I was wondering if anybody knew of law schools that foster Native American student/communities? Thanks

midnight_circus

Re: tribal community

Postby midnight_circus » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:21 am

ghostofdreams wrote:So, I spoke to a UW grad and he said that being "isolated" was the biggest challenge he had to face at law school. Apparently there was a lack of a community with Native American students. That got me thinking, can I handle something like that, and is it important? I don't know that answer but I was wondering if anybody knew of law schools that foster Native American student/communities? Thanks

No one knows the answer to this except you. At any law school, you will find a community of friends--or, at minimum, fellow sufferers. They will support you and care for you. Only you can know if being isolated from your specific ethnic community will be so detrimental to your well-being that it affects your health or academic performance. If it will, it is most certainly important. (Though if it is, you might have a problem. There is no law school with a large number of Native American students. Only some that might have a few more, or a more active community, than others.) You need to do everything you can to succeed in law school. If that means finding a school with a native community that will stave off a particular kind of isolation, so be it. But if that just means not being isolated, well, all law schools are full of potential communities. Potential friends. Only you can tell what you'll need. Good luck.

ghostofdreams

Postby ghostofdreams » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:51 am

Ever since I've left the rez I've been isolated on some level. So, isolation is tough but I can handle it. One of the things I sought with this question is what law schools either have a significant Native community (and significant does not necessarily mean huge numbers, I think), or if the school promotes the study of tribal/federal law.

midnight_circus

Postby midnight_circus » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:07 am

Yeah, it was pointed out to me that I misinterpreted your question--that what I answered was rhetorical. That's what I get for tlsing at 3am. :) I'm sorry that I can't be of any help as to the substance of your question.
If I were you, I'd contact the schools you're interested in and ask if they have a native american student group and see if they can put you in contact with an officer for the group? A lot of law schools list all their clubs in the "student life" section of their website. Maybe they'll have something related to a tribal community and they'll have a website listed or an email or something. There must be ways to find out about this sort of thing from the school/students themselves.
Good luck!

ltrego

Postby ltrego » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:21 am

You might also consider contacting the NNALSA (National Native American Law Student Association) and asking them for a list of schools with active Native American communities.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:44 am

From the little I know about this, I'd suggest:

U of Arizona
U of New Mexico (I think these first 2 have both a significant NA student community and offer Indian law programs)
U of Colorado (not so many Indian students, but offers Indian law)
U of Washington
U of Wisconsin
Lewis and Clark
Michigan State (I know less about these last 4 but they have Indian law programs)

There are probably others - for instance I kinda think UCLA should be on here but I can't remember much about it - and I don't know exactly what the community is like at these schools, but these are the ones I identified as offering Indian law in any significant way when I was applying a few years ago. (I'm not NA so I can't really speak to the student community).

Of course, whether these schools make sense for you depends on your goals. You need to consider what you want to do and look pretty closely at the employment numbers. I think for some kinds of Indian law practice going to these schools (especially on scholarship) could be a perfectly reasonable choice. But for a lot of employment choices, people will tell you that the best school for any area is Yale, then Harvard/Stanford, etc...

Tyr

Postby Tyr » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:01 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:From the little I know about this, I'd suggest:

U of Arizona
U of New Mexico (I think these first 2 have both a significant NA student community and offer Indian law programs)
U of Colorado (not so many Indian students, but offers Indian law)
U of Washington
U of Wisconsin
Lewis and Clark
Michigan State (I know less about these last 4 but they have Indian law programs)

There are probably others - for instance I kinda think UCLA should be on here but I can't remember much about it - and I don't know exactly what the community is like at these schools, but these are the ones I identified as offering Indian law in any significant way when I was applying a few years ago. (I'm not NA so I can't really speak to the student community).

Of course, whether these schools make sense for you depends on your goals. You need to consider what you want to do and look pretty closely at the employment numbers. I think for some kinds of Indian law practice going to these schools (especially on scholarship) could be a perfectly reasonable choice. But for a lot of employment choices, people will tell you that the best school for any area is Yale, then Harvard/Stanford, etc...

U of MN may also have an active community. I only say that because MN (my home state) has a high American Indian population (relatively speaking) and therefore may have a stronger presence at UMN law.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:03 pm

Tyr wrote: MN (my home state) has a high American Indian population (relatively speaking) and therefore may have a stronger presence at UMN law.

I know we (UMN) definitely have more Indian law classess and clinics than most schools because of this.

ghostofdreams

Postby ghostofdreams » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:50 pm

I've met someone on TLS who went to UMN law school. I just might hit him up and ask him to see what he has to say about this question. Thanks

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:56 pm

Univ. of New Mexico is about 8% NA with 10% of the state NA. It's up to you, but if you want a supportive presence with about 5% NA professors... This might be a viable choice. Just took Indian Law, PM if questions. FYI, not Indian, FWIW, but I'm happy to talk about what my Indian friends have discussed with me and put you in contact with them.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”