Can a diversity statement be unnecessary?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
christam

Can a diversity statement be unnecessary?

Postby christam » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:33 pm

I am half-white, half-mexican but am applying hispanic. I don't just want to write a corny DS about not really being of either group, struggle for identity bull. Is it that necessary?

and what about when an app has a "student body" question thats essentially the prompt for the DS. Cut and Paste?

mandyjay11

Re: Can a diversity statement be unnecessary?

Postby mandyjay11 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:52 pm

christam wrote:I am half-white, half-mexican but am applying hispanic. I don't just want to write a corny DS about not really being of either group, struggle for identity bull. Is it that necessary?

and what about when an app has a "student body" question thats essentially the prompt for the DS. Cut and Paste?

So do you have a compelling story to tell about your childhood? Any type of struggle? I mean if not, I dont think you should write one.

IDK what you mean by the student body thing because I'm not sure I have seen that on an app. What is the entire question?

midnight_circus

Postby midnight_circus » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:14 pm

You never have to write a diversity statement. (Except for NYU, which really wants you to submit an essay if you answer the under-represented group section.) If you can't write something compelling, don't bother.
Do not cut and paste from your PS into your DS. Either write about two separate things or tackle them from totally different angles. Copying is extremely poor form.

I will also say that your dismissal of the notion of struggle for identity is extremely rude. You may not have struggled at all. Great. Congratulations. I envy you. Being biracial defined my childhood in a crazy number of ways. I had some specific circumstances that almost certainly made my sense of not-belonging more acute than perhaps the average person, but to say that something that made me legitimately miserable is corny and bull is frankly infuriating. If yours would come out corny or fake, don't write it. But show some respect for the rest of us, please.

christam

Postby christam » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:24 pm

mandyjay11 wrote: What is the entire question?

The law school seeks a heterogeneous student body, taking into account in its admission process such factors as ethnic and cultural background, sexual orientation, unusual economic disadvantage and geographic origin. If any such factors are of special relevance to your application, list here: (maximum characters 500)

August Wilson

Postby August Wilson » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:34 pm

FWIW I didn't write a diversity statement and got into NYU last week. So you don't need one. I think if you don't feel like you have anything to say, then don't. If you write something that's half assed and doesn't really convey anything interesting then it'll be more of a minus than a plus.

But I'm not your same background so you gotta make the call. I just figured that my personal statement said what I wanted and needed to say regarding my ethnicity and background.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:35 pm

christam wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote: What is the entire question?

The law school seeks a heterogeneous student body, taking into account in its admission process such factors as ethnic and cultural background, sexual orientation, unusual economic disadvantage and geographic origin. If any such factors are of special relevance to your application, list here: (maximum characters 500)

500 characters is like 4 tweets(140 characters) max, so you wont be able to even try to copy and paste an entire statement there.

I described my race and my economic status and attached a diversity statement. You can put you are half and half here and not attach a diversity statement. I wouldnt check that hispanic box and leave this black though.

christam

Postby christam » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:03 pm

midnight_circus wrote:You never have to write a diversity statement. (Except for NYU, which really wants you to submit an essay if you answer the under-represented group section.) If you can't write something compelling, don't bother.
Do not cut and paste from your PS into your DS. Either write about two separate things or tackle them from totally different angles. Copying is extremely poor form.

I will also say that your dismissal of the notion of struggle for identity is extremely rude. You may not have struggled at all. Great. Congratulations. I envy you. Being biracial defined my childhood in a crazy number of ways. I had some specific circumstances that almost certainly made my sense of not-belonging more acute than perhaps the average person, but to say that something that made me legitimately miserable is corny and bull is frankly infuriating. If yours would come out corny or fake, don't write it. But show some respect for the rest of us, please.

Pardon my ignorance. Upon re-reading my post, I can definitely understand how you could be offended. I did not mean to discredit anyone else's issues. To rephrase my point, that type of story, coming from me, would be both "corny" and "bull." Obviously, many people have endured life experiences far different from mine but I would not like to turn in a diversity statement that was A) not genuine, and B) not unique.

Again, please forgive my ignorance.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”