An issue with tomorrow's test...

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Jimlaw123
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:00 am

An issue with tomorrow's test...

Postby Jimlaw123 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:04 am

I have taken the LSAT twice and I first scored a 141, second time a 148... Here is my issue. I had severe corneal dystrophy and a very high (ultra high) astigmatism that makes me almost legally blind. I took the first two tests under those conditions. Here is my issue. I have been taking and studying for the test. I am currently at anywhere at a 153-158... which depends on my games. If games are perfect I am at a 157-158. My LR is anywhere from 8-10 on LR I miss, also I get killed on RC.. This is due to the fact that my eyes are bad and they cross, etc... problems. I don't even get to the last passage.. so I'm automatically missing 8. This is why my score is stuck in that range.. (if I got to the last passage I'd be within the 160 range..)

My issue was that I was applying for a time extension and, I think I was going to be awarded it, but my doctor sent in my documentation too late, I may get it for the February test. (I think I will..) this is my third and last time. I've worked hard, but could have worked harder. But I do not want to do this anymore. I mean I really don't, not at all...

I went to a top 14 school, 3.3 GPA, Cum laude in my major. My issue is that I have business, and other meeting's to do in the next couple months, people waiting on me.. but I know I have to caution on doing worse than better, so I'm going to assume I'm in the 152-153 range. Which isn't good. I have decided to take the test, walk in, and if I can't get the games section cancel... but I don't know if I should do this... I got my first score 2 years ago, the second score about a year ago, and I waited as I am getting a big time, new surgery to try and correct my vision, as well as my corneal dystorphy( this is costing upwards of 10 -11 grand from the top surgeons in the field, worked the last couple years to make sure to get it, before I have burdens (work, etc..).. but I'm tired of this, been graduated for about 2 years, and I have been living grimey trying to get this test done, and to handle all my things, but I don't know if I can do another 2 months... but I know it's dumb to go into the LSAT without your best foot forward.. What do you think?

(A person I know at UCLA told me to wait until February as it won't hurt me, but I have taken it already 2 times, with 2 cancels due to the surgery I've been getting on my eyes... (the procedures are slow, and afterwards I have to wait for my eyes to heal for about 3-4 months, so they've just started to heal, and get done..) any thoughts? (I am also trying to go this year, as If I don't, I know as soon as I start making money, and doing things in my field... I won't probably ever go, unless it's already done for this coming up year...)
Last edited by Jimlaw123 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: An issue with tomorrow's test...

Postby Nova » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:07 am

what are the dates of the first 2 tests exactly?

Regardless, I would withdraw now, rather than cancel, so that Dec wont count against you as a take.

User avatar
applelover
Posts: 1921
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: An issue with tomorrow's test...

Postby applelover » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:08 am

You won't be able to retake the test in February because you can only take the test three times every two years, unless of course your very first test was in february.


If you are on the west coast or on mountain time, I recommend you withdraw now, because after midnight it's too late.

Jimlaw123
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:00 am

Re: An issue with tomorrow's test...

Postby Jimlaw123 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:15 am

It was a while ago, at least. I know I took the first test and got a score over 2 years ago..(I think december..) I took the second test about a year later than that.. (which was in December I believe...) and I have had two other tests I signed up for then cancelled... I know everything may look bad, but there were a lot of issues... (mainly getting my surgery, and having to fly oversea's for things of that manner, and post poned etc..then waiting until my surgery was done...) I honestly feel that If I get at least a 160 I can just say that my first scores were due to my eye surgery (As they kind of were...) but I know if I get a bad score, regardless of telling schools about my horrible vision, and how my eyes are.. (considered student with disability, and was not able to get surgery etc...), but my family wants this done, I want it done..

a 153 from a top 14 school, and a 3.3, cum laude mean much? I mean I think I'm smarter than this, but I don't have the time, or money to do this anymore... I am in a pretty good range..even without doing a whole passage.. (155-158) range... but I know it's probably going to be way lower with test conditions, so I'm assume like 152-153 ish.. I was thinking I could just take it, see how it feels (if my games are legit,) if they are not.. then cancel and take the Feb test, but I don't know. I've signed up for it about I'd say 4 times, and taken it twice (cancelled or didn't show on 2... family, and a host of other crap...)

Jimlaw123
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:00 am

Re: An issue with tomorrow's test...

Postby Jimlaw123 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:17 am

Withdraw? What are the rules with that?

ltrego
Posts: 221
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:41 am

Re: An issue with tomorrow's test...

Postby ltrego » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:24 am


User avatar
MoMettaMonk
Posts: 513
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:29 pm

Re: An issue with tomorrow's test...

Postby MoMettaMonk » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:26 am

Jimlaw123 wrote:Withdraw? What are the rules with that?


You can withdraw before midnight of the day of the test and it won't count against your 3 scores in 2 years. If you wait until after midnight, or go with your original plan and cancel after sitting part of the test then that will count as your 3rd sitting in 2 years. I'm not totally sure how they count the 2 years, so you might be able to take February either way, but you don't have too much time to research that right now.

And just as an FYI, if you were to score in the mid-150s, you would primarily be looking at schools in the 20-50 range, or lower if you wanted more scholarship money. You didn't say anything about your reasons for attending law school, but it's important that you be aware that your options coming out of many of those schools (if you're not at the absolute top of your class), may be limited.

If you can withdraw (and even if it's after midnight where you are I recommend trying to get in touch with someone from LSAC to explain your situation, they may make an exception) and take in February, that's what I would do. It won't hurt you at the vast majority of schools, and if you really do believe that you can break a 160 your options become wildly different.

ltrego
Posts: 221
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:41 am

Re: An issue with tomorrow's test...

Postby ltrego » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:28 am

Also, in this situation, if you can't withdraw after midnight, I would recommend not going and taking an "absent" so you can take the test in Feb.

Jimlaw123
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:00 am

Re: An issue with tomorrow's test...

Postby Jimlaw123 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:36 am

Wow... I guess I have to withdraw... (thought it's something I really don't want to do... but I'm not ready, I am in the 157 range perfect conditions (when I don't even do a passage on reading comp...),

My reasons for law school. Simple, I want to practice law and help people within my field from getting taken advantage of, also I feel as a man (especially a black man), I have an education and I should use it regardless of my view's on the money etc... I want it mainly to help protect myself in my career (creation, technology, (like movies, toys, merchandise etc..), but I don't know if I can do this anymore... this test, these situation has kind of broken me, my relationships, friendship, my future on hold.. (two years in limbo, but I realized I had to endure during the bullshit, and I have to make it now.. lost too much..). If I cancel it, I have to be serious, hire a private tutor to work on my weaknesses, and be on it... my friend and mentor told me to wait... I just want to get it over with and 'move on" if been stuck in this limbo forever... (but I know if I do not attend this year, I'm out...)

Jimlaw123
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:00 am

Re: An issue with tomorrow's test...

Postby Jimlaw123 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:41 am

Also, my main reason for the retake was due to my inferior eyes (and getting my surgery...) and is mainly money... I don't want to go into debt or at least minimize it. That's why I'm worried about getting into the 160 range... I guess you guys gave me my answer.. I have to cancel it... but my family, my friends.. I've been in this insane limbo for 2 years now... (due to the issues with the surgery..) and I'm going nuts because of it... I.. I can't do this anymore. February has to be the last one, and last time... and I have to put the work in, but damn.. I have to endure I guess. haha this sucks..

ltrego
Posts: 221
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:41 am

Re: An issue with tomorrow's test...

Postby ltrego » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:43 am

Just to reiterate, withdraw has to be done by 11:59 pm.

Edit: Don't cancel. Withdraw or absent.

User avatar
MoMettaMonk
Posts: 513
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:29 pm

Re: An issue with tomorrow's test...

Postby MoMettaMonk » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:44 am

Jimlaw123 wrote:Wow... I guess I have to withdraw... (thought it's something I really don't want to do... but I'm not ready, I am in the 157 range perfect conditions (when I don't even do a passage on reading comp...),

My reasons for law school. Simple, I want to practice law and help people within my field from getting taken advantage of, also I feel as a man (especially a black man), I have an education and I should use it regardless of my view's on the money etc... I want it mainly to help protect myself in my career (creation, technology, (like movies, toys, merchandise etc..), but I don't know if I can do this anymore... this test, these situation has kind of broken me, my relationships, friendship, my future on hold.. (two years in limbo, but I realized I had to endure during the bullshit, and I have to make it now.. lost too much..). If I cancel it, I have to be serious, hire a private tutor to work on my weaknesses, and be on it... my friend and mentor told me to wait... I just want to get it over with and 'move on" if been stuck in this limbo forever... (but I know if I do not attend this year, I'm out...)


Just remember that you don't have to wait a year, only a few more months, and you'll still be able to go to law school next year. I don't know how you studied, but there are some excellent guides on the LSAT prep portion of this site that have helped many people (including me) greatly increase our scores. Especially if you have a medical condition that is hindering you now, but will be in a better place for the February test, I see no reason for you to take tomorrow.

As an extra bit of proof that you're making the right choice by not taking until you're ready: this is what the Texas Tech Dean of Admissions posted earlier today about scores in the range where you originally tested (and have the possibility of falling into if you do poorly tomorrow for whatever reason)

SPerez wrote:For us it does because of where our 25th percentiles are. Our 25th% LSAT has hovered around a 152/153, which is about the national average score. The LSAT score band (+/- 3) would take that down to 149 if we are giving people the benefit of the doubt. However, the percentiles fall off fast under 150. A 145 is, as far as I'm aware, a score that has only been admitted through our summer program. I don't know that we've every admitted anyone under a 142/3. Not to say we wouldn't ever, but there aren't very many people with 140 LSATs who have the things that we would need to see to support the argument the person could still succeed (i.e. not flunk out) here. E.g. 4.0 from an Ivy, impeccable writing, LORs that comment on critical/analytical thinking ability, work experience involving complex tasks that require both intelligence and work ethic, history of standardized tests not predicting outcomes (i.e. a 5 on the ACT but the aforementioned 4.0 from an Ivy), etc. I'm just spitballing off the top of my head here, there isn't a special checklist for this kind of situation. Those are just some of the things I think an AdCom would need to see to convince them that the 140 LSAT should be overlooked.

GPAs are very different since they can be produced in so many different ways. It's all about what does the GPA say about the person's ability. If someone is a typical college senior with a GPA of 2.5, flat trend (all semesters between 2.3 and 2.8), not a tough major, no full-time work or other things that would take away from studies...what are we left to conclude? If the LSAT is average or low, the person probably just doesn't have what it takes. If the LSAT is high, without evidence to contradict it I assume the person is lazy or lacks direction. They probably CAN do the work, but have to this point CHOSEN not to. Either way, not good. On the other hand, there could be another person with a 2.5 GPA, but this person is 35 and totally bombed college 15 years ago. Like, 30 hours of 1.5. Then say they wandered a bit, maybe got a job/married/kids, or spent some time in the military...whatever; just generally grew up. Then they went back to school a few years ago and their GPA in their last 80 hrs is a 3.9 from a good school/program. Assuming the LSAT is within range for both, the second person has shown that "the numbers" don't really describe his ability. They demonstrated they can handle college work and do very well so in my mind they aren't really a "risk" (again, assuming LSAT w/i range). The first person hasn't shown that. They could very well be able to handle the work, and could go on to demonstrate it later once they get their *bleep* together, but until then they are a risk. Some schools will take that risk, others won't.

The tough part comes when you have an applicant who has softs you fall in love with, but doesn't have anything hard academically to hang your hat on, help you go to bat for them. You're arguing "potential" at that point, which can be a tough sell. Admissions deans who are very senior and might have a track record of identifying diamonds in the rough might have earn the trust of their faculty committees. Other places, faculty might have more control and choose to only go for the "sure things", hesitant to take any risks. That will vary from school to school.

Dean Perez

ltrego
Posts: 221
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:41 am

Re: An issue with tomorrow's test...

Postby ltrego » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:54 am

One more thing: If you retest in Feb, you'll be able to have accommodations.

Jimlaw123
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:00 am

Re: An issue with tomorrow's test...

Postby Jimlaw123 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:56 am

I just counted my list, I have 6 absense since 2 years ago... I don't know, I guess this is it. I don't know if I withdraw again, if it will show up.. if a withdraw doesn't, I will. But at this point, I'm done. I feel. What more can happen? (I went through a big issue tragedy in the last 2 years of my life (no sob story, just issues with the school, and family issues, medical issues (surgeries etc..)

I honestly feel that unless I get a stellar LSAT score ( 160-165 range) law school is done for me. With that many absences.. Also the tests I took were within the last 2 years.. one in June 141 one in decembe 148... All before my surgeries. I don't want to give up hope.. but if I cancel this, I have to be on some insane studying tip. I felt like I have been already, but I don't know anymore. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. I feel I can't explain this to my family (don't understand it, and my friends are not the law school types..) We'll thanks. I'm thinking I'm going to withdraw, and try for February...

ltrego
Posts: 221
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:41 am

Re: An issue with tomorrow's test...

Postby ltrego » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:59 am

I'm pretty sure a withdraw doesn't show up. But here are your options: Withdraw/absent and risk it showing up, take the test unprepared and not do well, or cancel and not be able to take again.

Jimlaw123
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:00 am

Re: An issue with tomorrow's test...

Postby Jimlaw123 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:09 am

Thanks for this, I mean seriously. I have a friend of mine that is trying to get me to go through with it just to have a "warrior" in it with him. But he's stuck in a low score and he's adamant about doing it tomorrow. I have to take my time. My only chance at law school is above a 160, due to my absences and issues with my eyes. I know Law school's don't care, it's either put up or shut up. Thanks for the clarity, if I may ask, where do you go to withdraw for the test?

ltrego
Posts: 221
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:41 am

Re: An issue with tomorrow's test...

Postby ltrego » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:12 am

Look at the link I supplied above. It gives directions.

Jimlaw123
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:00 am

Re: An issue with tomorrow's test...

Postby Jimlaw123 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:14 am

Does anyone know where you go to withdraw? I'm on it and I'm looking around, and I'm not finding it. I mean, I'm in my profile and it's not showing up...

Jimlaw123
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:00 am

Re: An issue with tomorrow's test...

Postby Jimlaw123 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:18 am

If you printed your ticket, does that stop you from withdrawing?

ltrego
Posts: 221
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:41 am

Re: An issue with tomorrow's test...

Postby ltrego » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:19 am

Go to the LSAT status page on your LSAC account. I don't have any active registrations, so I can't walk you through it, but if I remember correctly, there's a button on tomorrow's registration that allows you to withdraw.

PS: What time is it in your neck of the woods?

Jimlaw123
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:00 am

Re: An issue with tomorrow's test...

Postby Jimlaw123 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:29 am

It's alright, I guess something was wrong with my account due to the "fee wavier" on there. I sent them a personal email, with my info informing them that I won't be attending, and it's a formal note of my withdrawal from this December test. I hope they received it. Thanks for the insight in here. It just feels like when you're a guy trying to make a smart decision everyone wants you to make a hasty one, that will have debilitating effects on your future and life.

Jimlaw123
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:00 am

Re: An issue with tomorrow's test...

Postby Jimlaw123 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:30 am

It's 11:30 Pm. I am in Los Angeles.

ltrego
Posts: 221
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:41 am

Re: An issue with tomorrow's test...

Postby ltrego » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:34 am

I had a fee waiver and it was on there for me. I don't know what to tell you. :(

Jimlaw123
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:00 am

Re: An issue with tomorrow's test...

Postby Jimlaw123 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:01 am

I don't know, I sent them an email telling about it, but knowing my luck. I'm gonna get screwed. I don't know, life is just starting to get bleak for me... I don't know.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], proteinshake and 2 guests