Different treatment for URMs at T15 and HYS? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
anubis1911

Bronze

Different treatment for URMs at T15 and HYS?

Post by anubis1911 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:13 pm

I was accepted to Georgetown without an interview. Now I have yet to receive a JS1 for Harvard after a couple weeks and I am beginning to wonder if it is possible for AA URMs to not receive an interview and still gain acceptance. I know of a few people with similar numbers who have also yet to receive their Js1s. does anyone know?

californiauser

Silver

Re: Different treatment for URMs at T15 and HYS?

Post by californiauser » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:20 pm

It's November...chill.

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:22 pm

A phone interview is required for acceptance into Harvard. I believe similar is expected for Stanford, though they call only once to relay admittance. Harvard is a two-step process: first call for interview, second for acceptance.

MoMettaMonk

Silver

Post by MoMettaMonk » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:50 pm

anubis1911 wrote:I was accepted to Georgetown without an interview. Now I have yet to receive a JS1 for Harvard after a couple weeks and I am beginning to wonder if it is possible for AA URMs to not receive an interview and still gain acceptance. I know of a few people with similar numbers who have also yet to receive their Js1s. does anyone know?
Georgetown doesn't interview everyone. Harvard does, no exceptions. As other people have said, it's November, and you've got a long cycle ahead of you. Chill.

hcrimson2014

Bronze

Post by hcrimson2014 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:34 pm

What is your stat? Fudge the numbers if you don't mind sharing but don't want to out yourself because the requirement of hys is a lot higher compared to gtown even for an AA.

Typhoon24

Silver

Post by Typhoon24 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:28 pm

the largest number of URMs got accepted at HLS last cycle at the same time early february, so I believe that would be the most relevant metric to use in determining when you should expect any movement in your application. only a small number managed to snag a pre-january acceptance (even 165+s). so buckle down and get ready for something of a long ride lol.

as for JS1's, it's pretty much required that you do the skype interview. I say pretty much because I heard of a couple fringe cold acceptances over the years.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”