NYU "Underrepresented Group" Section

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Tariffs

NYU "Underrepresented Group" Section

Postby Tariffs » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:57 pm

Not really sure how to handle this section. I'm half black so I'm a "member of a group underrepresented in the profession" and don't think I should check off "This section doesn't apply to me", but I don't feel like I've experienced any sort of educational or socio-economic disadvantage because of my identity and don't think I could write the requisite supplemental statement that they ask you to complete. Any thoughts on what I should do? Would not writing the statement impact the boost I receive as a URM? I'm a splitter (3.43/172) so I'm pretty concerned about this.

twenty

Re: NYU "Underrepresented Group" Section

Postby twenty » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:02 pm

Is it a requirement that you complete an additional essay? If so, I'd probably write one up. If you don't feel comfortable with writing one, then just choose not to answer.

If you checked the Black/African American box on your app form and you talk about your background in your personal statement, though, I don't think it will make any difference.

Tariffs

Postby Tariffs » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:19 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:Is it a requirement that you complete an additional essay? If so, I'd probably write one up. If you don't feel comfortable with writing one, then just choose not to answer.

If you checked the Black/African American box on your app form and you talk about your background in your personal statement, though, I don't think it will make any difference.

I checked the box, but don't mention my racial background in my PS; I dedicated that to telling a story about how I realized where my legal interests lie and what I want to do after law school. I also didn't include a diversity statement in my other apps for these same reasons; I just checked the box on the 13 I've submitted already. The directions specifically state "Please indicate here any such groups in which you would include yourself. Also attach a brief statement describing aspects of this identity that are relevant to your application," so it sounds like if I put down a group they expect an additional essay explaining it.
Last edited by Tariffs on Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twenty

Postby twenty » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:22 pm

May as well go for it. It's an extra hour of your life writing the thing, and NYU with a lot of money is definitely in the cards for your numbers. Would hate to jinx it by not doing something they want you to do.

Tariffs

Postby Tariffs » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:48 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:May as well go for it. It's an extra hour of your life writing the thing, and NYU with a lot of money is definitely in the cards for your numbers. Would hate to jinx it by not doing something they want you to do.

Thanks for the advice, I'll crank that out now. One last thing: considering this, do you think my not including a diversity statement will hurt my chances at the rest of the T-14?

twenty

Postby twenty » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:03 pm

Not at all -- in fact, I think you're wise not to include a poor diversity statement, which easily could hurt your candidacy.

Tariffs

Postby Tariffs » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:00 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:Not at all -- in fact, I think you're wise not to include a poor diversity statement, which easily could hurt your candidacy.

Alright, thanks for all your input!

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:22 am

Last edited by Dr.Zer0 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

subtle

Postby subtle » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:08 pm

Diverse ≠ racial diversity. Although you are racially diverse, that doesn't mean you have to write a statement about it if that doesn't feel authentic to you. You should write something that is going to be authentic and compelling. Just talk about any different perspective that you bring.

When I was apply, I didn't talk about my race at all in my personal statement. I did write a DS, but I'm not sure how it didn't hurt me. Looking back on it, it was sort of BS.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”