159/3.6 Mexican American Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
cantreadgood

New

159/3.6 Mexican American

Post by cantreadgood » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:30 pm

159/3.6 MA. 3 years+ of working with non-profits(1 year of leadership role within one). Currently working for immigration law firm. Is there any shot at a top 20 with any kind of scholarship? Taken LSAT 3 times(cancelled, 152,159) and standardized tests are certainly NOT my thing. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.The numbers given to me on MyLSN seemed fishy 60% at Cornell, 80% to USC wtih 70k, 100% to Austin with 40k.

lemons

Bronze

Re: 159/3.6 Mexican American

Post by lemons » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:59 pm

cantreadgood wrote:159/3.6 MA. 3 years+ of working with non-profits(1 year of leadership role within one). Currently working for immigration law firm. Is there any shot at a top 20 with any kind of scholarship? Taken LSAT 3 times(cancelled, 152,159) and standardized tests are certainly NOT my thing. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.The numbers given to me on MyLSN seemed fishy 60% at Cornell, 80% to USC wtih 70k, 100% to Austin with 40k.
cantreadgood?

cantreadgood

New

Post by cantreadgood » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:05 pm

I was fortunate enough to receive some great advice from lemons. Will be retaking in hopes of a 165 or higher. Im hoping after some hard studying I can get the a 165 because I definitely left a lot of point on the last lsat I took. I assume I would be in fairly good shape if I was able to get at least a 165 and 3.6GPA right?

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:39 pm

165 is basically the brightline for a MA URM. Anything lower, I'd strongly urge a retake.

DportIA

Bronze

Post by DportIA » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:10 pm

I was a 162/3.55 MA and I got a full at Iowa (where I am from, so I took it. I am a 2L doing a SA at a mid-size specialty firm in Chicago.), and I think back and wish I just would have retaken my LSAT to get a 164-165. You could definitely get T20 $ with a 164.

In hindsight, coming out of Iowa with literally $0 debt and a $160k job 3 hours from all of my family is an incredible outcome, but long term there is a definite value to having an elite law degree.

Black_Swan

Bronze

Post by Black_Swan » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:26 pm

DportIA wrote:I was a 162/3.55 MA and I got a full at Iowa (where I am from, so I took it. I am a 2L doing a SA at a mid-size specialty firm in Chicago.), and I think back and wish I just would have retaken my LSAT to get a 164-165. You could definitely get T20 $ with a 164.

In hindsight, coming out of Iowa with literally $0 debt and a $160k job 3 hours from all of my family is an incredible outcome, but long term there is a definite value to having an elite law degree.
Congrats! This is awesome. Tell me what do you need prestige for at this point? More prestigious name firms? Or do you feel bad when people inquire about your background? Genuinely curious as I am a prestige hxxx myself, and not any T14 type of hxxx :lol:

DportIA

Bronze

Post by DportIA » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:24 pm

Black_Swan wrote:
DportIA wrote:I was a 162/3.55 MA and I got a full at Iowa (where I am from, so I took it. I am a 2L doing a SA at a mid-size specialty firm in Chicago.), and I think back and wish I just would have retaken my LSAT to get a 164-165. You could definitely get T20 $ with a 164.

Congrats! This is awesome. Tell me what do you need prestige for at this point? More prestigious name firms? Or do you feel bad when people inquire about your background? Genuinely curious as I am a prestige hxxx myself, and not any T14 type of hxxx :lol:
Not sure if serious/troll, but I'll take the bait. In terms of lateral opportunity to the business-side, a T14 degree can eliminate the need for an MBA, whereas coming from some law schools (perhaps further down the rankings than Iowa, which obviously is a fine school) people would be pretty suspect. If this is something you could care less about, then who cares.

Feel bad when people inquire about my background? Nah, pretty comfortable there.

Black_Swan

Bronze

Post by Black_Swan » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:44 pm

DportIA wrote:
Black_Swan wrote:

Not sure if serious/troll, but I'll take the bait. In terms of lateral opportunity to the business-side, a T14 degree can eliminate the need for an MBA, whereas coming from some law schools (perhaps further down the rankings than Iowa, which obviously is a fine school) people would be pretty suspect. If this is something you could care less about, then who cares.

Feel bad when people inquire about my background? Nah, pretty comfortable there.
Thanks!!! Makes a lot of sense, especially the MBA point. I am curious if it is a waste of time when some people go after a JD/MBA from schools like Harvard and Penn?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”