Question about deferrals A/A M

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
chukkrox

Question about deferrals A/A M

Postby chukkrox » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:02 am

I lurk on this site all the time and almost never post, so first thanks to all who share their knowledge and make this place what it is.

I've finished UG and have taken my LSAT twice. I finally got the score I wanted but due to personal circumstances I wont be going to law school right away. Thing is I have all my LORs in and I really want to get the application process for law school done and out the way so I don't have to worry about it anymore. Would it be a knock against my application to apply a year early and ask for a deferral? For that matter, how does all of it even work? Do I ask to be deferred after I get accepted or is it something I should mention off the top? Is there a chance that an acceptance based on a deferral can be revoked? Or should I just bite the bullet and apply for the cycle in which I intend to actually start studying?

Any information about this regarding the T14 is appreciated but any thoughts regarding this and HYS are especially welcome since that is where I am hoping to land. Thx!!

chukkrox

Re: Question about deferrals A/A M

Postby chukkrox » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:04 am

forgot to mention! also wanted to know how this could possibly affect the $$$$$$ lmao thats very important

teampeeta

Re: Question about deferrals A/A M

Postby teampeeta » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:03 am

As long as you don't indicate that you aren't planning on attending law school in Fall 2014, I don't think a deferral will have any impact on your admissions prospects. How would the schools even know? The only exception I can think of is if you're in the 1st year of a two-year program like TFA or consulting- dropping out may not reflect so well on your application/ law schools might be suspicious. But, then again, they may not care. If you end up getting wait listed, you'll have to withdraw because HYS (and I'm sure other schools) don't allow people admitted from the wait list to defer. If you're admitted in the regular admissions cycle, you'll just decide which school you want to attend and then ask for a deferral. My understanding is that the request is a formality at H and more dependent on your individual circumstances at Y and S.

Deferring tends to affect scholarships because at most law schools the scholarship money you get is only valid if you matriculate the in year you applied. I don't know how successful people are at deferring and maintaining the scholarship money they received. I think a lot of schools make you reapply for financial aid/ scholarships the next year even when you already have a confirmed spot in the class. That would make me nervous about getting screwed over/ being locked into attending a school without having your money locked in but YMMV.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”