Dilemma/What would you do? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
isaiah1992

Bronze

Dilemma/What would you do?

Post by isaiah1992 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:18 pm

Last edited by isaiah1992 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

MoMettaMonk

Silver

Re: Dilemma/What would you do?

Post by MoMettaMonk » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:37 pm

As it stands, you have a great shot at every school in the country. Boalt should offer you a substantial scholarship, and Stanford's need based aid should keep you from paying sticker assuming your family isn't wealthy. If you are absolutely sure that you want to go the PI route, then Stanford is probably your best bet because, as you mentioned, their LRAP covers undergrad debt. However, as with all things involving large sums of money, make sure you read all of the fine print on any LRAP program. Of course if you end up working in the private sector (as the vast majority of law students do) then you may regret passing up the 100,000+ that Boalt might give you.

isaiah1992

Bronze

Post by isaiah1992 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:44 pm

MoMettaMonk wrote:As it stands, you have a great shot at every school in the country. Boalt should offer you a substantial scholarship, and Stanford's need based aid should keep you from paying sticker assuming your family isn't wealthy. If you are absolutely sure that you want to go the PI route, then Stanford is probably your best bet because, as you mentioned, their LRAP covers undergrad debt. However, as with all things involving large sums of money, make sure you read all of the fine print on any LRAP program. Of course if you end up working in the private sector (as the vast majority of law students do) then you may regret passing up the 100,000+ that Boalt might give you.

Thanks bro. I was kind of thinking the same thing. I'm almost positive that I want to do PI, If i did go private it wouldnt be until after my debt was paid down to a substantial level. I became pretty debt averse after undergrad. Also, do you or anyone else know how Stanford looks at undergrad debt when they give out need based aid?

MoMettaMonk

Silver

Post by MoMettaMonk » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:50 pm

isaiah1992 wrote:

Thanks bro. I was kind of thinking the same thing. I'm almost positive that I want to do PI, If i did go private it wouldnt be until after my debt was paid down to a substantial level. I became pretty debt averse after undergrad. Also, do you or anyone else know how Stanford looks at undergrad debt when they give out need based aid?
I don't remember exactly where, but Stanford has a pretty thorough breakdown of how their LRAP works somewhere on the financial aid portion of their website.

NanaP

Bronze

Post by NanaP » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:52 pm

You should also keep in mind the big elephant in the room....that huge undergrad debt......If you got offered substantial money from Boalt, it would be hard to turn that down given your debt situation...

isaiah1992

Bronze

Post by isaiah1992 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:57 pm

NanaP wrote:You should also keep in mind the big elephant in the room....that huge undergrad debt......If you got offered substantial money from Boalt, it would be hard to turn that down given your debt situation...

Yea I know, that the difficult thing, but if Stanford's LRAP covers all of my undergrad debt whereas boalt's LRAP would only covers my federal loans, considering most of my undergrad debt is private loans, I would still be strapped with that debt. But that's assuming that Stanford's LRAP covers all of that which is why their LRAP is confusing on that topic.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”