(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
PBJones

Postby PBJones » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:39 pm

Last edited by PBJones on Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tom Joad

Re: Lawsuit Pushes URM Status for North Africans

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:41 pm

How has he been harmed?

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:49 pm

Tom Joad wrote:How has he been harmed?

“I have been awarded, inadvertently, the negative effects of being black such as racial profiling, stereotypes and disenfranchisement due to my Negroid features,” he said. “However, the legal demand of my racial classification of ‘white’ prevents me from receiving benefits established for black people.”
Hefny has lost five jobs thanks to his battle to be classified as a black man and is currently unemployed. As he continues to fight for the right to be classified as a black man Hefny has contacted some powerful people, even reaching out to President Obama.
“I need your help,” Hefny wrote. “As you can see in the enclosed photo, I am a black man. My complexion is darker than yours. I was born and raised in Africa and you were not, yet you are classified as black and I’m classified as white.”

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:51 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:How has he been harmed?

“I have been awarded, inadvertently, the negative effects of being black such as racial profiling, stereotypes and disenfranchisement due to my Negroid features,” he said. “However, the legal demand of my racial classification of ‘white’ prevents me from receiving benefits established for black people.”
Hefny has lost five jobs thanks to his battle to be classified as a black man and is currently unemployed. As he continues to fight for the right to be classified as a black man Hefny has contacted some powerful people, even reaching out to President Obama.
“I need your help,” Hefny wrote. “As you can see in the enclosed photo, I am a black man. My complexion is darker than yours. I was born and raised in Africa and you were not, yet you are classified as black and I’m classified as white.”

I read that. I am not aware of any jobs you can get just because you are classified as black by the government. Maybe there are some that I don't know about.

PBJones

Postby PBJones » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:55 pm

Last edited by PBJones on Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:56 pm

I don't understand how any immigrant can willingly come to this country and expect AA. If you feel not receiving AA is an injustice, don't come.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”