3.73/169 MA Military

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
RMadrid

3.73/169 MA Military

Postby RMadrid » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:38 pm

Considering the various articles and reports highlighting the employment issues new lawyers face, I'm only planning on applying to T14 schools where employment is practically guaranteed.

-Double major Phil/Pol. Science; Degree from a non prestigious public institution.

Softs- Army Reservist-Full-time Army duties every summer for last 5 years+full-time work/student this year+Minor school involvement+some community service involvement

First, are my stats good enough for HYS? Second, would it be better to wait until my fall grades came in and my GPA rose to ~3.76?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Dr.Zer0

Re: 3.73/169 MA Military

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:50 pm

Your stats are good for HYS. No need to wait for your fall grades, you can always update later.

Congrats on that LSAT score and GPA. Thank you for your service.

RMadrid

Postby RMadrid » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:40 pm

Many thanks friend. I've been researching and it seems like most LSN URM's that get accepted in the T-6 come from top college institutions so it will be interesting to see whether my 100th ranked school makes a difference. If there are any MA with similar numerical stats that want more info, feel free to send me a message, I'll be happy to provide updates.

UnderrateOverachieve

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:11 pm

I am sure someone will come on soon to tell you to retake. Even a single point on the LSAT could plausibly means some big money and perhaps acceptance somewhere in the HYSCCN range if you weren't going to be accepted before.

Other than that, I like your strategy. Although, be prepared to accept employment in the region of your lower T14 schools. So, If you despise the thought of working in the greater New York market, you probably don't want to go to Cornell. That is not to say you can't work back to your choice destination, but you shouldn't go into school precluding a MAJOR percentage of your opportunity. Also, make use of any veteran resources that exist at your school and locally.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”