AA Male: 3.75, 153

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
toshiroh

Re: AA Male: 3.75, 153

Postby toshiroh » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:45 pm

Kool-Aid wrote:
toshiroh wrote:Retaking works if you desire to retake. People are so quick to say "Just sit out this cycle and apply next cycle." Some people don't have that option, and while some of you may be able to devote endless time to study for the test, others have full-time jobs, kids, no help from parents, and barely anytime to devote to retaking. So what would be the point...

So when someone asks their chances, why not legit tell them what their chances are while also saying maybe they should retake. Everyone won't be in a T-14... T-20... even T-50s, and TLS is a very small community compared to scope of people who actually apply for Law School.

Can I ask how that person would then have the time to devote to law school?

I get where you're coming from, but 9/10 times this site is doing a good service by telling someone to "retake". In the OP situation, it is the best advice we can give. I went back to stocking groceries after college, because I decided it would be in my best interest to retake. I understand bills have to be paid, but the kid needs to "retake".

I don't think I said anywhere in my reply that this site wasn't doing a good service by telling someone to retake, but it's not always as simple as ... oh retake duhhh. And while the OP might not be doing his/herself justice by not retaking, I don't think that's for me to decide, as there is success outside of T-14 schools. However, it doesn't matter as the OP has already decided to retake.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:08 pm

I want to amend an earlier post. I think Temple and North Carolina might also be good choices for OP.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:16 pm

toshiroh wrote:Retaking works if you desire to retake. People are so quick to say "Just sit out this cycle and apply next cycle." Some people don't have that option, and while some of you may be able to devote endless time to study for the test, others have full-time jobs, kids, no help from parents, and barely anytime to devote to retaking. So what would be the point...

So when someone asks their chances, why not legit tell them what their chances are while also saying maybe they should retake. Everyone won't be in a T-14... T-20... even T-50s, and TLS is a very small community compared to scope of people who actually apply for Law School.

Some people are so deep in debt that they would almost be forced to work - potentially getting stuck in a job they don't want to leave. Would that be such a bad thing...getting a few years of good W.E. while practicing to improve one's LSAT score?

And if UG loans are the issue there are several deferment and forbearance options. No one should enter law school at any time but the most optimal, or at least a time when they aren't under pressure.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”