Am I too late?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Chowfun

Am I too late?

Postby Chowfun » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:29 am

Spoke to someone who said minorities need to apply early in the cycle. I'm taking my December lsat with a 3.7+ gpa. I wanted to wait till December to take the lsat to impove score, but ppl are saying I waited too long. Now I'm stressed.

sopranorleone

Re: Am I too late?

Postby sopranorleone » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:33 am

Relax. Kill the LSAT in December. Enjoy a great cycle.

Chowfun

Postby Chowfun » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:39 am

sopranorleone wrote:Relax. Kill the LSAT in December. Enjoy a great cycle.

Thanks for the nice words. I'll do my best. I'm always scared that I won't kill the lsat and waiting would have been a waste, and I have other people in my ear saying I should have applied earlier. :/

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:40 am

You'll be fine. There's no use worrying about it now, and anyway, people seem to be applying later and later in the past few years without having it hurt them.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:48 am

Chowfun wrote:Spoke to someone who said minorities need to apply early in the cycle. I'm taking my December lsat with a 3.7+ gpa. I wanted to wait till December to take the lsat to impove score, but ppl are saying I waited too long. Now I'm stressed.

No worries. I'll be sending most of my apps out in January due to my December retake. In last year's URM cycle, a number of TLSers applied in early January and are currently attending the likes of Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, etc.

Just make sure to bang it out in December and all will be well.

Chowfun

Postby Chowfun » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:51 am

Ugh I just feel stupid for not applying earlier. It's like once an evil bug gets into your head you can't get it out.

Chowfun

Postby Chowfun » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:54 am

AAJD2B wrote:
Chowfun wrote:Spoke to someone who said minorities need to apply early in the cycle. I'm taking my December lsat with a 3.7+ gpa. I wanted to wait till December to take the lsat to impove score, but ppl are saying I waited too long. Now I'm stressed.

No worries. I'll be sending most of my apps out in January due to my December retake. In last year's URM cycle, a number of TLSers applied in early January and are currently attending the likes of Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, etc.

Female black woman what lsat am I looking at to be in t14. Also how are you balancing everything? I work two jobs, volunteer at 4 organizations, study for classes and LSAT studying? I'm going a little insane. I fear I might have to drop some things... :(

Also I feel the lsat is easier and I'm no longer scared. I guess I have to work on timing and calming the f down.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:05 am

Chowfun wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

Female black woman what lsat am I looking at to be in t14. Also how are you balancing everything? I work two jobs, volunteer at 4 organizations, study for classes and LSAT studying? I'm going a little insane. I fear I might have to drop some things... :(

Also I feel the lsat is easier and I'm no longer scared. I guess I have to work on timing and calming the f down.

T14s usually require at least a high 150s and at least a 160 for a T6.

You'll definitely have to drop some of your volunteering. This is your future here. I work FT but I will be taking time to study after work in the office, but certainly not as crazy intense as I was studying for October.

Chowfun

Postby Chowfun » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:17 am

AAJD2B wrote:
Chowfun wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

T14s usually require at least a high 150s and at least a 160 for a T6.

You'll definitely have to drop some of your volunteering. This is your future here. I work FT but I will be taking time to study after work in the office, but certainly not as crazy intense as I was studying for October.

Okay well I'll be doing my best. I'll be PT for the rest of this month. :/ I feel I study a lot for it and I'm still at the same point I was a while ago. :( maybe I should have applied early.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:19 am

Chowfun wrote:Okay well I'll be doing my best. I'll be PT for the rest of this month. :/ I feel I study a lot for it and I'm still at the same point I was a while ago. :( maybe I should have applied early.

You haven't seen much improvement in your score? How are you studying?

Chowfun

Postby Chowfun » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:23 am

AAJD2B wrote:
Chowfun wrote:Okay well I'll be doing my best. I'll be PT for the rest of this month. :/ I feel I study a lot for it and I'm still at the same point I was a while ago. :( maybe I should have applied early.

Reading manhattan lsat, lsat trainer and blueprint logic games. I feel really stupid right now....ugh back to square one. Well I use those materials and I do a bunch of problems.... Every one I get wrong I redo it and try to understand why I got it wrong. I haven't PT yet I just do every type of problem. I do feel I got better as in more comfortable and not scare of the test. I even do better with the questions and getting more right then maybe I would have gotten before...but it's just a guess and I still get questions wrong more than 5. On LR section.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:33 am

Chowfun wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

Reading manhattan lsat, lsat trainer and blueprint logic games. I feel really stupid right now....ugh back to square one. Well I use those materials and I do a bunch of problems.... Every one I get wrong I redo it and try to understand why I got it wrong. I haven't PT yet I just do every type of problem. I do feel I got better as in more comfortable and not scare of the test. I even do better with the questions and getting more right then maybe I would have gotten before...but it's just a guess and I still get questions wrong more than 5. On LR section.

Do you think you can break into at least the low-160s in December? Harvard and Columbia has accepted quite a few AA URMs with your GPA paired with at least this benchmark. Not that you shouldn't try and shoot for the best, but this just gives you an idea of your chances even with a low-160s score.

Chowfun

Postby Chowfun » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:36 am

AAJD2B wrote:
Chowfun wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

Do you think you can break into at least the low-160s in December? Harvard and Columbia has accepted quite a few AA URMs with your GPA paired with at least this benchmark. Not that you shouldn't try and shoot for the best, but this just gives you an idea of your chances even with a low-160s score.

I hope so. :/ I don't even know where I'm at score wise. I just know that I get stuff wrong. I don't get every question right. I'll do a PT and see what happens.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”