Full ride chances

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
isaiah1992

Full ride chances

Postby isaiah1992 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:39 pm

Last edited by isaiah1992 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

MoMettaMonk

Re: Full ride chances

Postby MoMettaMonk » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:45 pm

isaiah1992 wrote:I am an AA, MA, and NA urm with a 3.7 and 173. I also have strong softs. I was wonder if it is possible to get a full ride from Cal or another T-14 with my stats. I am also applying to USC and UCLA.

There aren't many people around to provide data points for this, but you will probably get a full ride aka full tuition scholarship from a t14 with those stats, or at the least come very close to one. You'll probably get a Rothman invite from USC (which comes with an automatic 1L SA), and UCLA will probably throw as much money as they can at you if you're not Yield Protected. Also Cal Berkeley has a matching scholarship program, so if you do get a full ride from another t14 they may fully match it.

isaiah1992

Postby isaiah1992 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:49 pm

Thanks. I am trying to see if I should apply to the total t-14. The application fees are daunting.

mojangles

Postby mojangles » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:52 pm

did you register for CAS and opt in to allow schools to reach out to you? if so you should get fee waivers from a lot of the t-14.... i got fee waivers from over half of the t-14 with significantly worse numbers. i would definitely blanket the entire t-14 with those numbers, i don't think anything should be automatically off limits to you

isaiah1992

Postby isaiah1992 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:56 pm

Thanks for the info. I did but I just got my score today. How long does it usually take to receive emails from schools?

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:57 pm

isaiah1992 wrote:Thanks. I am trying to see if I should apply to the total t-14. The application fees are daunting.

Someone above me mentioned, but it's so important that I'm going to say it again.

Make sure that you're signed up for CAS, and that you've got at least a self-reported GPA along with your URM status.

You should get fee waivers from everyone except Berk, Harvard, Yale, and Stanford (all of whom only give out need-based waivers). If you don't then you can request them from schools. There's a guide to how to request them in the admissions forum.

And yes, you should blanket the t14. You'll probably get more money from some schools than others, and that will allow you to negotiate up your amount for where you really want to go.

isaiah1992 wrote:Thanks for the info. I did but I just got my score today. How long does it usually take to receive emails from schools?

Usually they'll start coming in within a few days.

isaiah1992

Postby isaiah1992 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:00 pm

Cool, sounds good. My apps are pretty much done, wanted to have them ready just in case. I am just waiting to see about fee waivers.

Redfactor

Postby Redfactor » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:08 pm

I mean this sincerely. Do not limit yourself due to debt yet. Give the schools an opportunity to present financial aid to you before you write them off as too expensive. Also, negotiate scholarship awards.

You are a highly desirable candidate. Apply to have fee waivers. Remember that some fee waivers are stealth - you won't know you have them until you apply. Apply to the entire T-14 because it sounds like you've got about as good a shot as anyone - even to HYS.

Good luck

isaiah1992

Postby isaiah1992 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:18 pm

Thanks Red. I appreciate the advice. I feel as though I'm kind of lost and was just looking for a place to begin.

Redfactor

Postby Redfactor » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:28 pm

This site is the best place to be.

This site is much much better to help with admissions process than your career services or guidance counselor at your UG, in all likelihood.

Post your PS. Have people thrash it into decent shape. People are very generous with their time here and will go above and beyond to help if you ask.

Questions about LSAC or fee waivers? Just ask the specifics (or use the search button), and it should be answered.

Many, many people have gone through this process successfully for the caliber of schools you're looking at. They've jumped through the hurdles of applying and have advocated for increased scholarship awards. Don't reinvent the wheel. Just ask what they've done and adopt the tips that make sense to you. (Not everyone here is right.)

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”