3.91, URM Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
philosophy major

New

3.91, URM

Post by philosophy major » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:54 pm

Hello,

I am currently a senior with a 3.91 GPA. I am Mexican-American and am fluent in Spanish. I am currently PTing in the mid to high 160s. My plan is to take the LSAT this December and apply this cycle.

However, many friends of mine have recommended that I take ONE year off and apply next cycle. I have been quite intrigued by this recommendation, but what does not appeal to me is what will I do if I take a year off? I majored in the humanities which is obviously going to make it difficult to find a job. Plus I have about 28K in student loans. (Not private loans, but government, so low interest).

My family is poor so they can't help me much.

What should I do? Should I follow their advice or apply this cycle (assuming I score 168+).

applelover

Gold

Re: 3.91, URM

Post by applelover » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:00 pm

Some may disagree, but I would recommend if you score 168+ to definitely apply this cycle. Your GPA is above most schools 75th percentile and you're a URM, so you can definitely get into a T14 school and even receive some aid and scholarship money.
Last edited by applelover on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:02 pm

If you score in the 160s you should get plenty of fee waivers from quality schools. May as well apply and see what offers you get.

philosophy major

New

Post by philosophy major » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:05 pm

I would like to add that I will only attend law school if and only if it's a T14

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:07 pm

philosophy major wrote:I would like to add that I will only attend law school if and only if it's a T14
You can definitely get into a T14 with good softs given your GPA and [potential] LSAT score.

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:24 pm

take the LSAT then come back, we can give you a better idea of your chances then.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:00 am

I feel like anyone who balks at the idea of doing five to ten years of 50-70 hour work weeks (not including three years of law school) should absolutely postpone going to law school by a year. Go volunteer somewhere if you want the work experience. If you need to pay off the loans, take a job working in a law firm in your area of interest. Or go teach at an after school program. Tutor the SAT.

Don't go to law school because you're not sure what else to do with your humanities degree, and especially don't rush into it.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:31 am

lol, philosophy major

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:34 am

He's got a full .21 GPA points on you, broseph. ;)

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:36 am

AA boost > MA boost

HTFH

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:45 am

good thing philosophy professors take into account URM boosts when determining grades

also you are not .,,.....,.,.,.,:,,:,,.:,:::.,,.,:,.,.::.:.,:.::,., so no more of this htfh business

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:49 am

twentypercentmore wrote:good thing philosophy professors take into account URM boosts when determining grades

is this a joke?

also you are not .,,.....,.,.,.,:,,:,,.:,:::.,,.,:,.,.::.:.,:.::,., so no more of this htfh business

(is a lurker at xoxohth.com)

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:51 am

grats on the 3k post bro.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:50 am

Yay 3k. Amusing back and forth leading up to it :lol:

jordan15

Bronze

Post by jordan15 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:18 pm

I'm not sure how loans work, but if you enroll in a community college full time do your loans get deferred until you're not full time anymore? You could enroll in tax classes (and hopefully secure employment through the school or another part time job) and either decide you like the idea of getting a cheaper CPA degree at the community college, or apply to law school the next cycle and have a little bit of an advantage when it comes to tax law.

This is assuming you really can't find any full time position to support yourself 100% after graduation.

philosophy major

New

Post by philosophy major » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:12 pm

I have talked to family and friends and they all said taking ONE year off is a good idea.

From now on until I graduate, I will concentrate on bumping my GPA even more (I have 2 semesters left), try to find a job, and as for the LSAT, if I don't hit 170+ by Nov. 15, I will take it in June.

There is, however, one person who vehemently opposes my plan of taking a year off. Her reasons: (a.) I will lose mental stamina; (b.) I will later decide not to apply; (c.) I will not find a job with a humanities degree; (d.) Law schools do not like gap years; (e.) most law school applicants do not take a year off.

What do you think of my decision? In a way I feel better.

MoMettaMonk

Silver

Post by MoMettaMonk » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:18 pm

philosophy major wrote:I have talked to family and friends and they all said taking ONE year off is a good idea.

From now on until I graduate, I will concentrate on bumping my GPA even more (I have 2 semesters left), try to find a job, and as for the LSAT, if I don't hit 170+ by Nov. 15, I will take it in June.

There is, however, one person who vehemently opposes my plan of taking a year off. Her reasons: (a.) I will lose mental stamina; (b.) I will later decide not to apply; (c.) I will not find a job with a humanities degree; (d.) Law schools do not like gap years; (e.) most law school applicants do not take a year off.

What do you think of my decision? In a way I feel better.
a. Not if you make a determined effort not to.

b. Possible, but if you really want to be a lawyer then I don't see this happening. If you do decide that law isn't for you then congratulations you don't have debt!

c. Not necessarily true. You've got 2 semesters left, I'm sure you can find something to do during a gap year.

d and e. Not true at all, in fact if anything they (and more importantly employers) tend to prefer people who have work experience. MOST law students aren't K-JD, but they are less than 5 years out of undergrad. You'll fit right in if you decide to apply a cycle or two from now.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:16 am

If you have any interest in PI work at all, volunteering for a PI organization will pay off in spades come hiring time. Frankly, that even helps for biglaw.

You pretty much can't go wrong with a year off in between undergrad and law school.

salmos

New

Post by salmos » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:40 am

By the way, good job pulling off a 3.91 in philosophy. Over here in Berkeley most of us are scraping by on 3.5s in the major, and we're the ones that basically study all day.

NotHereMuch

New

Post by NotHereMuch » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:18 am

Taking time off is always a good idea. Always. Don't listen to your friend. If, after a year off, you can't get your act together enough to apply to law schools, then you weren't destined for law school.

There are a variety of things you could do and get paid. You can look into AmeriCorp, work on a political campaign, work for a law firm, work at a non-profit, tutor kids in Spanish. Fuck, go be a bartender a few evenings a week and then volunteer where ever you want.

Since you're still in college, try interning somewhere you'd like to work after college. Maybe it will lead to a job.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”