Hispanic not a race on apps?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
thespectator

Hispanic not a race on apps?

Postby thespectator » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:08 pm

I'm a Mexican American filling out my apps and I noticed that Hispanic is considered an ethnicity and ethnicity is a required question. However the subsequent question asks for race and the options are:
-Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Australian
-American Indian/Alaskan Native
-Asian
-Black or African American
-Canadian Aboriginal
-Caucasian/White
-Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander
-Puerto Rican

Why is Hispanic not considered not considered a race and which race should I select since MA is not an option. Should I leave this race question blank (it is optional)?

Thanks

BentleyLittle

Re: Hispanic not a race on apps?

Postby BentleyLittle » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:39 pm

Which school is this? Most apps I've seen have a "Mexican","Mexican-American", or "Chicano" option. I've never seen an app that only lists "Hispanic" as an option. I would just select Hispanic if that indeed is the only option.

The term "Hispanic" (and "Latino" for that matter) refers to not a race but an ethnicity. Mexicans, for the most part, are mestizos--people with a mixture of European and indigenous blood. There are pure white Mexicans, pure indigenous Mexicans and even Mexicans of African descent.

Other Latin American countries have a similar demographic structure with a generally lesser degree of racial mixing. Which is why it doesn't make sense that LSAC considers "Puerto Rican" a race. They are white or black for the most part.

I apologize for the history lesson if you knew this already but the amount of Mexicans who don't know this never ceases to amaze me.

Hope this helps!

thespectator

Postby thespectator » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:52 pm

Thanks BentleyLittle for your response. Your answer was helpful and I agree that "Puerto Rican" does not make sense as a standalone race.

Most apps I have worked on have two separate questions. The first one asks for Ethnicity, providing "Mexican-American" or "Chicano" as options. My follow up question is about the subsequent question which asks for race. I guess what you are saying is that for race, I should select whatever else I am mixed with? Any thoughts about leaving this blank?

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:04 pm

thespectator wrote:Thanks BentleyLittle for your response. Your answer was helpful and I agree that "Puerto Rican" does not make sense as a standalone race.

Most apps I have worked on have two separate questions. The first one asks for Ethnicity, providing "Mexican-American" or "Chicano" as options. My follow up question is about the subsequent question which asks for race. I guess what you are saying is that for race, I should select whatever else I am mixed with? Any thoughts about leaving this blank?

If you're mixed then I would check the appropriate boxes. If you're only MA, then you're fine just checking the Hispanic and the MA/Chicano box. Technically Hispanics are considered white when it comes to race, but it's a personal choice if you want to check that box as well.

BentleyLittle

Postby BentleyLittle » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:18 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:
thespectator wrote:Thanks BentleyLittle for your response. Your answer was helpful and I agree that "Puerto Rican" does not make sense as a standalone race.

If you're mixed then I would check the appropriate boxes. If you're only MA, then you're fine just checking the Hispanic and the MA/Chicano box. Technically Hispanics are considered white when it comes to race, but it's a personal choice if you want to check that box as well.

This. If you're mixed with something else you can check the appropriate box. I've been leaving the racial portion blank since I don't indentify with a particular race as a Mexican.

Zero, are MAs really considered whiteby default? I am olive skinned but do not indentify with my European ancestry. At the same time, I have a few friebds who are very dark and clearly received a majority of indigenous genes so to classify them as white would be inaccurate imo.

thespectator

Postby thespectator » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:30 pm

Thank you both. That pretty much sums up what to do.

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:38 pm

BentleyLittle wrote:
Dr.Zer0 wrote:

This. If you're mixed with something else you can check the appropriate box. I've been leaving the racial portion blank since I don't indentify with a particular race as a Mexican.

Zero, are MAs really considered whiteby default? I am olive skinned but do not indentify with my European ancestry. At the same time, I have a few friebds who are very dark and clearly received a majority of indigenous genes so to classify them as white would be inaccurate imo.

Yup! In the US Census, Hispanic is also an ethnicity and if you check a box under race as a Hispanic you're supposed to check white. Terms like White-Hispanic and Non-Hispanic white are used to differentiate between "whites" from Mexico and Latin America and "whites" from Europe.

twenty

Postby twenty » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:53 pm

Applications that use the:

-Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Australian
-American Indian/Alaskan Native
-Asian
-Black or African American
-Canadian Aboriginal
-Caucasian/White
-Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander
-Puerto Rican

...format are entirely irritating, I know. The vast majority of Mexican-Americans are a combination of Spanish and indigenous ancestry. Therefore, you should probably check the "caucasian/white" box. If you don't want to because you feel like you're not "mixed" Mexican and white, that's probably cool too.

BentleyLittle

Postby BentleyLittle » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:50 am

Dr.Zer0 wrote:
BentleyLittle wrote:
Dr.Zer0 wrote:

Yup! In the US Census, Hispanic is also an ethnicity and if you check a box under race as a Hispanic you're supposed to check white. Terms like White-Hispanic and Non-Hispanic white are used to differentiate between "whites" from Mexico and Latin America and "whites" from Europe.

Got it! I've never checked the "white" box but I've noticed the White-Hispanic box on documents. It makes me wonder how these institutions decide what to list on forms considering all of the nuances inherent in describing the race of people of Latin American descent.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”